Video: I ain't going anywhere! Furious Farang knocked down on Zebra Crossing refuses to budge

webfact

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Angry Dragon said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Pedestrian crossing laws in Thailand are very much the same as they are in other Western Countries such as the UK. The failings in Thailand are down to the poor enforcement and the attitudes of drivers that people who are not walking are below them (i.e. if you can afford a car you don't walk).

What is the pedestrian crossing law in Thailand?  Vehicles must stop when a pedestrian is crossing, or something else?

Bingo.... 

My girlfriend obtained her driving license and one of the questions they have to answer is about Pedestrian crossings.

yes the rules do apply.

its about time the stupid drivers in Thailand are held responsible for their actions.

we Farangs are just as guilty, drive like the Thais I’m told.

i can not bring myself to do this.

In Jomtien , on the Thappraya Theprassit crossings, they will run you over, if you are pedestrians with kids, prams, old ladies , anything goes.

Except, when it’s a foreigner driving ! Cameras everywhere, heavy fines, are needed. It’s  about time thailand started educating their population !

Any one who decides walk out on to a pedestrian before vehicles come to a stop deserve to get hit.

Common sense should would tell you to wait until vehicles are stopped before you cross, If you don't, well your the one who will come off second best end up been fed through a tube or worse for the rest of your life.

13 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Yes his reaction is extreme but good for him in making a stand. Now it has been highlighted in the media perhaps the authorities will be shamed into actually enforcing traffic regulations for a few days at least.

Authorities shamed, what planet are you from ????

3 hours ago, POMRAKSIAM said:

What did this guy accom0lish? I understand and believe what everyone is talking about, but he is not going to be asked to speak on a morning talk show, no one is going to take up and start protesting- most Thais never get any formal training, or license and acting like a spoiled kid from the West will not change a thing, especially  doesn't help those of us that love living here despite the dangers of daily life. Get up brush your off your knees and move on...

It happens everywhere

Congratulations , rarely is a post so inaccurate in every respect.

The incident was highlighted on Thai media and has spawned a thread here ( which you have responded to ) so clearly his actions have had an impact of sorts.

As for you last remark , it certainly does not happen everywhere , that is the entire point !

4 hours ago, Beggar said:

This guy must have a mental disorder. Such people are a shame for other foreigners. I am upset too if someone doesn't stop at a pedestrian crossing. But his behavior is extreme. 

His behavior is not extreme at all. He is not hurting anyone even though he was hit by a driver that in any sane country was committing a traffic violation. He is trying to educate Thai drivers about what those funny lines on the road mean, but I doubt very few will be able to grasp it.

37 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I assume the poor guy is travelling to Thailand for the first time, probably in shock after being hit unexpectedly.

I don't understand why some posters are so eager to condemn his behaviour.

It's his subsequent behaviour that was stupid and counter productive. 

If zebra crossing are not important, then why in Thailand do the police fine you if you fail to go to the intersection, over pass walkway, or zebra crossing? 

English form of it is called jaywalking.

Therefore the police are encouraging pedestrians to use one of the aforementioned ways to cross the road.

I say a Thai block up the entire road on Monday; in China town part of Bangkok, because a motorcycle brazed her car. No one could tell she had been hit, but she claimed her paint was scoffed, and needed to stay put until the insurance or police came to take a report. One can only imagine what a Thai would do if they were to be hit while crossing the street, by a foreigner...? 

At the end of the day, a violation was committed here, and people just seem to take it as norm, 

because they see so much more craziness everyday, as it relates to driving by the locals.

That is really the irony of this. 

We here look to the falang as the blame for demonstrating his frustration. 

My guess is he will not be returning to this country anytime soon.

I'm sure there will be those on this forum that will state that is a good thing, 

until something like this happens to you, then you will certainly have your mighty ground to stand on as well.

It all comes down to what we are willing to tolerate, and how we wish to express ourselves, 

and though I would not have gone about it how he did, it's his to own, and at least he's owning it for full display.

Just another day TIT

Just now, Ketyo said:

Why come to another country, a developing country, and insist that everyone follow the laws and behave like in your own country. What a moron!

So if the purpose and intent of Zebra crossings in Thailand is NOT to provide a safe pedestrian crossing spot, then perhaps you can enlighten as to just what the purpose of them is?

Or, perhaps instead, the reason the Thai government paints the crossings on the street is in fact with the ostensible purpose of providing a safe crossing spot. And as usual here, it's the adherence to the law and the enforcement of it that's simply ignored.  So just who are the real morons in this sad caper.....

5 minutes ago, Ketyo said:

Why come to another country, a developing country, and insist that everyone follow the laws and behave like in your own country. What a moron!

You mean why would someone insist that the laws of Thailand are followed by Thai's and everyone else in Thailand ?

My question to you is, why wouldn't you?

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So if the purpose and intent of Zebra crossings in Thailand is NOT to provide a safe pedestrian crossing spot, then perhaps you can enlighten as to just what the purpose of them is?

Or, perhaps instead, the reason the Thai government paints the crossings on the street is in fact with the ostensible purpose of providing a safe crossing spot. And as usual here, it's the adherence to the law and the enforcement of it that's simply ignored.  So just who are the real morons in this sad caper.....

I thought the law is zebra crossings are the only legal place to cross the road. Eveywhere else is jay walking.

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

I've often wondered how much money is wasted on painting lines etc on roads here. Let's face it, it is wasted paint, time and effort.

Boost the economy, sell unused paint to hardware stores, and do not waste anymore money on zebra crossings 

I once stopped at a crossing to allow pedestrians to cross and everybody else just drove around me, I soon learned stopping only increases the chance of an accident.

There was recently a foreigner killed on a crossing here in Pattaya, the answer to the problem was to paint over the zebra crossing, sorted.

2 minutes ago, charmonman said:

His behavior is not extreme at all. He is not hurting anyone even though he was hit by a driver that in any sane country was committing a traffic violation. He is trying to educate Thai drivers about what those funny lines on the road mean, but I doubt very few will be able to grasp it.

Look at my video from Vietnam in post #158. This is Asia and you will not be able to change it. You have to adapt and honestly - somehow I enjoy this chaos here. But I guess it is only chaos in my eyes because I come from a country where laws are strictly enforced and obeyed. I think it is simply a more relaxed way of life here and not a chaos. After almost 25 years here I have adapted a lot and I don't get upset (don't lose my face) anymore. 

12 minutes ago, Ketyo said:

Usually the Somchai gene takes a few years to develop.

This early onset of Somchaism in a Newbie is interesting.

4 hours ago, Beggar said:

This guy must have a mental disorder. Such people are a shame for other foreigners. I am upset too if someone doesn't stop at a pedestrian crossing. But his behavior is extreme. 

Please do not speak for all foreigners, I am one and have my own voice thank you. I am proud that this man has highlighted a problem that is endemic in the Thai driving population.

Like all the other rules ignored this is just another. I would do the same. We from the west know the meaning of a zebra crossing and abide by its rules under the law for the safety of the vulnerable pedestrian. It is about time other countries followed suit.

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

we are of course...  don't forget to apply Thai logic

Archived