Video: I ain't going anywhere! Furious Farang knocked down on Zebra Crossing refuses to budge

webfact

4 hours ago, Beggar said:

This guy must have a mental disorder. Such people are a shame for other foreigners. I am upset too if someone doesn't stop at a pedestrian crossing. But his behavior is extreme. 

Well, in that case - I sincerely hope it happens to you as well. Please keep us informed if it does.

We would all love to see your reaction to this kind of incident - particularly if you are on your rear end with the person who hit you, grinning all over her stupid face because it is very funny to her.

Then see how YOU like it.............

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

How was it counter productive ?

Because he reinforced the image of the crazy ferang, diverting focus from the core issue.

If he really wanted to raise the road safety issue, as opposed to having a toddler tantrum, he would find a way to do it without looking like a nut job.

1 minute ago, Kinnock said:

Because he reinforced the image of the crazy ferang, diverting focus from the core issue.

If he really wanted to raise the road safety issue, as opposed to having a toddler tantrum, he would find a way to do it without looking like a nut job.

How would you suggest a better way to raise the road safety issue?

Just now, Sumarianson said:

We from the west know the meaning of a zebra crossing and abide by its rules under the law for the safety of the vulnerable pedestrian. It is about time other countries followed suit.

This is Asia. Please watch the video from my post (#158). I have been many times in Vietnam. If you wait there until someone will stop you will never cross the road. You have to accept that other countries are different.

40 minutes ago, Angry Dragon said:

What is the pedestrian crossing law in Thailand?  Vehicles must stop when a pedestrian is crossing, or something else?

If you use common sense, which is not used in Thailand .Yeah, then they should stop if they have time. However, if they had time or not, depends on if they can be corrected by camera evidence or not. After that, I am pretty sure that there is nothing written in the traffic law about this. Of course, I can be wrong.

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Oh, let me present myself. Around 23 years here. How long have you stayed?

Living on the right visa based on marriage or children as I wish. What about you?

Presentation over. Did you have anything to contribute with regarding the thread as an on topic discussion, or was it only funny to concentrate on me as a person?

Oh let me present myself: 12 years in the country- working Thailand related for 27 years, with numerous visits before moving here!

On a visa and work- permit, oh hero of the Thai- people!

Yes, I had things to contribute and believe me: you are not funny to concentrate on!

Far from it!

4 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

Well, in that case - I sincerely hope it happens to you as well. Please keep us informed if it does.

We would all love to see your reaction to this kind of incident - particularly if you are on your rear end with the person who hit you, grinning all over her stupid face because it is very funny to her.

Then see how YOU like it.............

I have been living here for more than two decades and I know that many will not stop. I also stayed many times in Vietnam. Please watch the video in post #158. There they will never stop. Simply cross the road in a predictable way and nothing will happen to you. I had this experience where foreigners asked me to help them to cross the road. And I understand their fear. But they need to understand that they will not be able to change the behavior here. They have to adapt. 

21 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

How was it counter productive ?

because it achieves nothing for him or for anyone else.  It also could well have resulted in a confrontation with locals, who are noticeably sensitive when it comes to Farangs trying to assert what they think are their "rights". 

13 minutes ago, DLock said:

How would you suggest a better way to raise the road safety issue?

This is Thailand - you need to be calm, and ideally funny to get a message across.

I would consider getting a big 'Stop' sign on a stick like a Western school crossing patrol, and help school kids cross the road by stopping traffic on a crossing near a school.  Get a mate to video it - post on Youtube with Thai hashtags.

Or get a pantomime zebra outfit and dance on the crossing - then post a video.

Having a tantrum after foolishly expecting the road behaviours of your home country to apply on the other side of the planet is just embarrassing.

3 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

This is Thailand - you need to be calm, and ideally funny to get a message across.

I would consider getting a big 'Stop' sign on a stick like a Western school crossing patrol, and help school kids cross the road by stopping traffic on a crossing near a school.  Get a mate to video it - post on Youtube with Thai hashtags.

Or get a pantomime e zebra outfit and dance on the crossing - then post a video.

Having a tantrum after foolishly expecting the road behaviours of your home country to apply on the other side of the planet is just embarrassing.

...actually, fair points.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

They say that zebra crossings in Thailand are not the same as those from where he is from

Really?

I thought in Thai traffic laws there is written that they have the exact same purpose as where he is from

5 hours ago, webfact said:

They noted that in the UK, Australia, Japan and Western Europe drivers have to stop 

But not here. 

Oh yes I'm sure it is the same here that they have to stop,

4 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

So a cartoon safety campaign that plays before every movie, every television show, and every YouTube video.

That really says a lot.

6 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I would consider getting a big 'Stop' sign on a stick like a Western school crossing patrol, and help school kids cross the road by stopping traffic on a crossing near a school.

They tried exactly that in Chiang Mai and it failed miserably.  

24 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Look at my video from Vietnam in post #158. This is Asia and you will not be able to change it. You have to adapt and honestly - somehow I enjoy this chaos here. But I guess it is only chaos in my eyes because I come from a country where laws are strictly enforced and obeyed. I think it is simply a more relaxed way of life here and not a chaos. After almost 25 years here I have adapted a lot and I don't get upset (don't lose my face) anymore. 

So it's an honest and relaxed  73 deaths?

4 hours ago, Beggar said:

There is one on the Beach Road in front a big police station here in Pattaya and it even has traffic lights. It is not easy to see where the crossing exactly is and the buttons you have to press to switch the traffic lights are also somehow hidden. But in the end some drivers don't even stop if they have a red stop light. The only advantage you have there is if a vehicle hits you then it is not very far to the next police station ????

11 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

Yes, I had things to contribute

Why did you not do that then, instead of concentrating on me as a person?

11 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

and believe me: you are not funny to concentrate on!

Far from it!

Still, why to you do it then?

8 minutes ago, JohnDone said:

Really?

I thought in Thai traffic laws there is written that they have the exact same purpose as where he is from

Oh yes I'm sure it is the same here that they have to stop,

Nooo, I think it is optional here....????

I think Thai drivers need no driving schools. All they need to drive safe are GPS trackers. No wonder Thai driver licenses are only good in Thai country but do not get permanently recpgnized in any civilized country.

5 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

There is a certain eye contact ritual which Thai people have with drivers.  

NOT ALL CARS WILL STOP BUT SOME WILL

So the ritual starts by looking at the car/driver.  If he slows down, then you can cross BUT MAKE SURE ALL THE CARS SLOW DOWN lest you want to be mowed down by the next car/driver who doesn’t want to let you cross.

When in Rome do like the Romans do.

Looking at zebra crossings etiquette  from a western perspective will only get you killed.  

1 minute ago, P100 said:

I think Thai drivers need no driving schools. All they need to drive safe are GPS trackers. No wonder Thai driver licenses are only good in Thai country but do not get permanently recpgnized in any civilized country.

I have used my Thai driver's license to rent a car in the states.  Just sayin.

It annous me when foreigners expect laws to be the same as their countries. Thus idiot probably does things here that are not allowed in his country, like turning left at red lights or worse.

People who stop at zebra crossings often cause accidents, as the person crosses and is hit by a car in the other lane.

No excuse for this man's behaviour.

The presenters were nice  by just saying he was " ngong"(confused).

I expect he was drunk and deliberately walkes in front of the car to show how superior he was ro the Siamese.

Archived