Video: I ain't going anywhere! Furious Farang knocked down on Zebra Crossing refuses to budge

webfact

5 minutes ago, P100 said:

I think Thai drivers need no driving schools. All they need to drive safe are GPS trackers. No wonder Thai driver licenses are only good in Thai country but do not get permanently recpgnized in any civilized country.

They are recognized in the UK.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was berated once by a policeman for crossing at the zebra crossing when the little green man told me to because there were cars coming. And he wasn't concerned about my safety, he wanted me to give way to the cars. Wittayu/Ploen Chit intersection toward what's now Central Embassy. Not some parochial zone. No hope.

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

It annous me when foreigners expect laws to be the same as their countries. Thus idiot probably does things here that are not allowed in his country, like turning left at red lights or worse.

People who stop at zebra crossings often cause accidents, as the person crosses and is hit by a car in the other lane.

No excuse for this man's behaviour.

The presenters were nice  by just saying he was " ngong"(confused).

I expect he was drunk and deliberately walkes in front of the car to show how superior he was ro the Siamese.

Tourists would "think" the zebra crossings are for them AND the same as their homeland regarding pedestrian safety.

PS. Your post is totally daft....☹️

5 hours ago, Angry Dragon said:

Under Thai traffic laws, what are vehicles required to do with respect to zebra crossings?  Are they required to give pedestrians the right of way once they step foot in the zebra crossing?  Or are the Thai traffic laws silent on this point?

What laws?

5 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

It's not just in Thailand.

If you go to most other countries in South East Asia and China, few people will stop for you. Everybody is in a rush.

See the video below.

They should just remove the zebra crossing because it confuses foreigners.

1 minute ago, transam said:

Tourists would "think" the zebra crossings are for them AND the same as their homeland regarding pedestrian safety.

PS. Your post is totally daft....☹️

Most tourist check on cultural differences  when they visit a country.

Then again some long term tourists havent a clue about culture and cant even be bothered to learn the language ????

3 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

As you can well. See in the video, the only thing his television experience achieved is to paint him as angry and unreasonable. 

As an afterthought, perhaps all he has achieved is to make sure next time she hits a foreigner she should go over him at least one more time to make sure he's dead. 

2 hours ago, hobz said:

Fake news or bad translation. 

Can you tell what section number that is from?

The Thai land traffic act of 1979 says that drivers must slow down and beware of pedestrians but not give way. They also say that pedestrians must beware of vehicles etc and wait for it to be safe..

See final paragraph of Section 51 of the Land Traffic Act, which was amended since originally enacted in 1979.  references to (1) and (2) refer to drivers turning left and right (there are other provisions covering drivers who are simply driving straight):

In the case under (1) or (2), the driver shall be careful and must stop and let the pedestrian who is crossing the road pass, and let the conveyance which is passing the junction from the other side pass first; provided that in case there are conveyances wishing to turn left and turn right at the same time, the one wishing to turn left shall give way to the one wishing to turn right first.

5 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

So, if the cars don't have to stop for pedestrians on zebra crossings, what is the meaning of zebra crossings in Thailand ?

They saw many zebra crossings in most western countries without having a clue as to what these decorations could do in the street all year long, so they decided to do the same thinking it would probably look smarter for western tourists!

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It annous me when foreigners expect laws to be the same as their countries. Thus idiot probably does things here that are not allowed in his country, like turning left at red lights or worse.

People who stop at zebra crossings often cause accidents, as the person crosses and is hit by a car in the other lane.

No excuse for this man's behaviour.

The presenters were nice  by just saying he was " ngong"(confused).

I expect he was drunk and deliberately walkes in front of the car to show how superior he was ro the Siamese.

Some of you long timers are really stubborn.

The guy is obviously not an expert of Thai ways as you, is it that difficult to understand ?

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Most tourist check on cultural differences  when they visit a country.

Then again some long term tourists havent a clue about culture and cant even be bothered to learn the language ????

More daft logic....????

What on earth has "culture" got to do with a pedestrian crossing...?

3 minutes ago, zhorik said:

as this makes clear they ARE supposed to stop but the police do little about it unless there is an accident.

In a Zebra crossing in Thailand and most other Asian countries, you have to wait until there no more cars before crossing.

You can't expect the cars to stop for you. It's not the same as in western countries.

According to Thai law, drivers are liable to a maximum fine of Bt1,000 if they fail to stop their vehicles for pedestrians at marked crossings. In the events of a road accident taking place, drivers involved must compensate victims or their families. In the case of death, reckless drivers are liable to up to 10 years in jail and a fine of up to Bt20,000. 

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

Section 70

[The driver shall reduce speed when approaching a junction, pedestrian crossing, vehicle stop line, or circle (rotary).]

Thanks.  nIce to see someone posting something other than the same tired jokes.  I read this as well, but it doesn't necessarily give the pedestrian a right of way if they happen to be walking in a pedestrian crossing.  Section 54 does, but that is only concerning drivers turning left or right.

Actually the Thai Highway Code reads very much like the one in the Uk. and I suppose the rest of Europe. Drivers are informed that they must stop for pedestrians on pedestrian crossings. Earlier this week a Thai lady driver stopped for me in Jomtien, I smiled and said thank you as I crossed.

Just now, DLock said:

You make a lot of assumptions about a guy that was just trying to cross a street at a pedestrian crossing and got bumped by a car, as if he did something wrong...

You Somchai gene is fully developed and as a Thai apologist, you are next level.

Glad I am not alone with my thoughts....????

5 hours ago, Angry Dragon said:

Under Thai traffic laws, what are vehicles required to do with respect to zebra crossings?  Are they required to give pedestrians the right of way once they step foot in the zebra crossing?  Or are the Thai traffic laws silent on this point?

Are they required to give pedestrians the right of way once they step foot in the zebra - Surely you jest.????????

7 minutes ago, Dionigi said:

Actually the Thai Highway Code reads very much like the one in the Uk. and I suppose the rest of Europe. Drivers are informed that they must stop for pedestrians on pedestrian crossings. Earlier this week a Thai lady driver stopped for me in Jomtien, I smiled and said thank you as I crossed.

Coming from Pattaya, you will know that prostitution go go bars are illegal too. How many there would like to see the laws enforced?

1 hour ago, Angry Dragon said:

What is the pedestrian crossing law in Thailand?  Vehicles must stop when a pedestrian is crossing, or something else?

once again, it does not matter what the law is or who was right...

you cant assume anything works here or the other person has more then elementary school level problem solving skills. i.e. dont step out in front of cars or lean on balcony railings.

your looking out for yourself each and every time and not caring what the other person may or will do.

Archived