Concerning the death of a Thai wife.

YangYaiEric

Can anyone inform me what happens if a Thai wife of a farang husband passes away, leaving substantial property and land?

Can the legally married farang husband sell said property and land without a will being in place at the time of the wife's passing?

If the wife has children or/and parents then in the absence of a will they will get a share as well as the husband, but normally the husband will get at least 50% of the estate.

The first thing the husband needs to do though is to apply to the court to be the executor of the will, then the court will rule accordingly once they have interviewed any or all interested parties.

Its so important to make a legal will.

As Charlie said once the husband inherits any land he then has one year in which to sell it or put it in a Thai name.

Hl

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

I believe the husband in the absence of will has 12 months to sell the assets.

I was told that a falang could not sell any property that is in the Thai wife's name? Would applying to become the executor of the estate circumvent this?

If there IS a will and the husband is named  benefactor, could her Thai children contest the will in court?

Thanks for your input!

If a Thai person leaves land to a Farang it is vital that  the benefactor (i.e the Farang) should also be the administrator of any will.

This way it may be possible to leave it in the name of the administrator for years.

It seems that the Thai authorities  think that benefactors require an early resolution of any will-so there is no timescale to resolve the estate.

Suggest that you obtain professional advice.

Archived