Pattaya boomtown! Tourists throng Walking Street! But where are the farangs?

webfact

Regarding "Thai logic" the prices for girlies will go up and will soon be higher than in any other countries around the world.

What happened to the good old 500 baht 24/7 times????

The "I love you too mutt times" seem to be over. Amen, ( Should the Pope read this Forum)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The signs are not good. 

They can read it however they want to do. 

Staying in Nirun condo and yes, many people say cheap Charlie's...

But you know what?

They are not here anymore.

Or deserted apartments.

Literally hundreds of them.

They just haven't bothered to come back. 

Not this time. 

Instead Thais are moving in.

4500 to 5000 a month is affordable for thai families. 

12 hours ago, sanemax said:

What did you do a websearch for to come up with Pattaya ?

I was just looking at various Asian countries.  2004 I finally got finances all in order, got new passport. Was working in Los Angeles CA and wanted to do Asia.  Japan not much interest, big city etc.  Indonesia I always liked as a kid, komodo dragons, volcanoes, I spoke some Bahasa from an Indonesian girl I kind of dated, but Indonesia didn't seem to jump out as easy touristing at first glance. Chinese things I liked but too much security paperwork required due to my job.  Korea no special interest in even though I studied Tae Kwon Do for many years on and off.   I typed in Thailand and just a ton of stuff popped up.  No visa in advance needed was a big factor as it was tough for me to know my exact work schedule.  Pattaya just popped up and I could see it was tourist friendly.  Tons of articles and videos about easy to get hotels, the baht bus easy to get around town, bus easy from Bangkok etc.  I had no idea so many people went to Thailand.  Didn't look for sexy or gogos or anything like that.  That stuff just all popped up on the internet as some things to do there.

7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I was just looking at various Asian countries.  2004 I finally got finances all in order, got new passport. Was working in Los Angeles CA and wanted to do Asia.  Japan not much interest, big city etc.  Indonesia I always liked as a kid, komodo dragons, volcanoes, I spoke some Bahasa from an Indonesian girl I kind of dated, but Indonesia didn't seem to jump out as easy touristing at first glance. Chinese things I liked but too much security paperwork required due to my job.  Korea no special interest in even though I studied Tae Kwon Do for many years on and off.   I typed in Thailand and just a ton of stuff popped up.  No visa in advance needed was a big factor as it was tough for me to know my exact work schedule.  Pattaya just popped up and I could see it was tourist friendly.  Tons of articles and videos about easy to get hotels, the baht bus easy to get around town, bus easy from Bangkok etc.  I had no idea so many people went to Thailand.  Didn't look for sexy or gogos or anything like that.  That stuff just all popped up on the internet as some things to do there.

Must had been surprising for you to go to Pattaya Thailand and then see all the prostitution , you must have been shocked by it .

On 11/14/2019 at 5:40 AM, CharlieH said:

Seeing the sights that walking street offers but will not be participating that's for sure. Just passing through.

It's all about the money and Thailand is not a value for money destination anymore.

Dead accurate.  me2, no more value here.  Jus passing through that's it. 

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Must had been surprising for you to go to Pattaya Thailand and then see all the prostitution , you must have been shocked by it .

Why would anyone be shocked by it.  Have you ever been to S.E. Asia?  You basically go to Tokyo, and hang a left. ????

18 hours ago, dallen52 said:

The signs are not good. 

They can read it however they want to do. 

Staying in Nirun condo and yes, many people say cheap Charlie's...

But you know what?

They are not here anymore.

Or deserted apartments.

Literally hundreds of them.

They just haven't bothered to come back. 

Not this time. 

Instead Thais are moving in.

4500 to 5000 a month is affordable for thai families. 

So, some Thai's are upgrading, but that means there will be empty properties elsewhere in Pattaya, because I don't think there is any extra employment here for Thai's. 

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

So, some Thai's are upgrading, but that means there will be empty properties elsewhere in Pattaya, because I don't think there is any extra employment here for Thai's. 

I actually think that they are upgrading their rooms to the condo life.

And bringing the family together. 

Instead of several small squat rooms.

Definitely workers.

Can hear them coming back at night and going out in the morning. 

23 hours ago, dallen52 said:

I actually think that they are upgrading their rooms to the condo life.

And bringing the family together. 

Instead of several small squat rooms.

Definitely workers.

Can hear them coming back at night and going out in the morning. 

Just to clarify, I am sure the Thai's upgrading to your condo block are working.  My point being, the "squat rooms" you are talking about will be vacant, and not filled by other Thai's coming to Pattaya to work, because the work is just not there, and that includes work in the sex industry, despite being in high season.

The condo rents will become cheaper as people leave Pattaya, and will be filled by Thai's, and the squat rooms will remain vacant, to the point of become derelict buildings. 

8 hours ago, barnsleyman said:

Why do people say Farang's not coming insinuating Farang's are the white skinned tourists.

Farang is the Thai word for Foreigner, So anybody who is not a Thai National is a Foreigner, which is ie:- Chinese,Indians, etc

You are wrong on this one

Wiki is your fiend

''Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง, [faràŋ], colloquially [falàŋ]) is a generic Thai word for person of white race no matter where they may come from; the Americas, Europe, etc. The term is also used for white latin Americans and light skinned latinos. Not all latinos however, brown skinned latin-Americans are often confused with Arabs in Thailand, and thus, not Farang. The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race"

8 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

You are wrong on this one

Wiki is your fiend

''Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง, [faràŋ], colloquially [falàŋ]) is a generic Thai word for person of white race no matter where they may come from; the Americas, Europe, etc. The term is also used for white latin Americans and light skinned latinos. Not all latinos however, brown skinned latin-Americans are often confused with Arabs in Thailand, and thus, not Farang. The Royal Institute Dictionary 1999, the official dictionary of Thai words, defines the word as "a person of white race"

You are correct, wiki is fiendish 55,  I wouldn't trust it for any research purposes. I have been surprised over the years here how many educated Thais pronounce the "r" in this awful word. 

Any person here who is not a Thai citizen is an "Alien."  ????

You can wear amulets, get a Buddha tattoo, speak Thai, marry a Thai, have children here, buy a property here, start a business here, go to the temple everyday etc, and you have no more rights than someone coming to Thailand for their first time on a holiday who enters on a 30 visa exemption stamp. 

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

Any person here who is not a Thai citizen is an "Alien."  ????

You can wear amulets, get a Buddha tattoo, speak Thai, marry a Thai, have children here, buy a property here, start a business here, go to the temple everyday etc, and you have no more rights than someone coming to Thailand for their first time on a holiday who enters on a 30 visa exemption stamp. 

You,'re a guest nothing more.

On 11/22/2019 at 4:12 AM, Leaver said:

As pattaya dies on the vine they,'ll be an exodus of thais as the work tourism previously provided will plummet

On 11/21/2019 at 9:45 PM, gk10002000 said:

In 1984 my pal and I booked a 19 day package tour (3 days BKK & 16 days Pattaya) to the the LOS from a travel agent in London.

There was no internet then. But we knew what to expect but did not expect it to be quite so full on as it actually was even though that was what we'd gone there for.

Many people did not even know that Thailand was not another name for Taiwan. But for those in the trade Thailand already had a reputation for very friendly women.

This was 20 years before you went there.

My friend from Canada, used to go to Thailand for the Winter months, now he goes to Thailand, for a short break, then to Vietnam for most of his Winter break, back to Thailand

to say hi to friends and back to Canada. He says  that his holiday is much more interesting

and he enjoys Vietnam for a cheaper amount. For my own enjoyment, I bus to South Pattaya, and enjoy some of my Thailand stay, visiting a relative who lives at Jomtien Beach  Pattaya, a more family friendly part of

Pattaya.

Geezer

On 11/29/2019 at 1:13 PM, morrobay said:

Have you ever been on the other side of the island?  Beautiful clear water and steep geography. Sans traffic/crowds.

By the time I got there it was time to set back off for my flight. To be honest I personally don't stay far from the airport, having had some terribly slow journeys around Bali. I usually meet a friend who is disabled and we have to use cars. 

Archived