Wealthy restaurant owner goes to police: What happened to my five million deposit?

webfact

Wealthy restaurant owner goes to police: What happened to my five million deposit?

6pm.jpg
Picture: 77kaoded

A well known Thai restaurateur in Samut Prakarn went to the police yesterday evening to tell them that 5 million baht had gone missing from a 12 month fixed deposit account. 

"Hia Maa" - otherwise known as Ekkaphat Athithanatkun, 61 the owner of "Nai Maa Thalee Mee Cheewit" eatery - said that he opened the account near the end of last year on the advice of staff at the Bangkok Bank branch in the Bang Poo industrial estate. 

8-517-1024x576.jpg

He left the account untouched, he said, until he went to check up on his interest at another Bangkok Bank branch at Robinson's Samut Prakarn. 

Both this account and another used for insurance guarantees could not be accessed and he was told to go back to the issuing branch. 

There it was confirmed that both accounts had been closed down. Five million baht was missing and it was not his signature on a transfer from one account to another. 

9-390-1024x576.jpg

He said he was not blaming the bank but wanted the police to investigate and get a proper explanation of what has happened to his money. 

The Bang Poo police took Hia Maa's report and promised to look into it. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-14

Well if he had his bank book and id in his possession at all times it sounds like a sticky fingered bank clerk or manager.

From experience dealing with Bangkok bank  doing high value transfers over the counter is a trial at times even with all supporting documents 

Wish him well Had it been me i would be sitting on the bank managers desk awaiting a result !!

1 hour ago, webfact said:

There it was confirmed that both accounts had been closed down. Five million baht was missing and it was not his signature on a transfer from one account to another. 

They should be able to track down the owner of the 'other' account then...

There are too many stories in Thailand of 'sticky fingered' bank clerks ! - not saying this happened here, but it wouldn't surprise me.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

They should be able to track down the owner of the 'other' account then...

There are too many stories in Thailand of 'sticky fingered' bank clerks ! - not saying this happened here, but it wouldn't surprise me.

And they want us to leave 800000 in a Thai bank haha

3 hours ago, kevin612 said:

Oh my goodness, this is scary. Money suddenly disappeared and his bank account branch unable to help him.

Where did it say that his branch was unable to help him?  

A branch that wasn't his said they couldn't access the account  (clearly now because it had been closed) and to refer to his own branch.  That's reasonable enough.

1 hour ago, lust said:

Bank employees probably access wealthy accounts with no activity in hopes that the person has died or something. 

Bank employees in general probably don't do that but what sort of activity would you expect to see on a 12-month fixed deposit account?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He said he was not blaming the bank but wanted the police to investigate and get a proper explanation of what has happened to his money. 

Good luck with that, but if it's not his fault then obviously it is the bank! 

No need to worry about your 800,000baht or 400,000baht it's nice and safe... Really. I think this is a nice, well mannered gentleman (I'm afraid not like me). I think the fact that he gas gone to the police about this is he doesn't trust the bank investigating this. I hope you get every baht plus interest back. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

he opened the account near the end of last year on the advice of staff at the Bangkok Bank branch in the Bang Poo industrial estate. 

They actually named the bank company involved here?  Amazing!!!  And rarely happens with our local news reporting, especially anytime there's any question of alleged wrongdoing.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

They actually named the bank company involved here?  Amazing!!!  And rarely happens with our local news reporting, especially anytime there's any question of alleged wrongdoing.

I think it's a Chinese bank now. Union pay only and many branches in China.

8 hours ago, cnx101 said:

And they want us to leave 800000 in a Thai bank haha

I go to bed trembling with anxiety every night worrying if a bank clerk will clean out that account meant for the Thai Immigration to approve annually my retirement visa. Even if I can afford to lose 800,000 Baht I won't want that. Thai immigration should not prolong my nightmares; don't compel people like me to put our money at such great risk in the bank. Bank thieves think the larger the deposit, the more undetectable the siphoning off will be. O ต.ม. be merciful and you will attain nibbana.

6 minutes ago, Gee Ku said:

I go to bed trembling with anxiety every night worrying if a bank clerk will clean out that account meant for the Thai Immigration to approve annually my retirement visa. Even if I can afford to lose 800,000 Baht I won't want that. Thai immigration should not prolong my nightmares; don't compel people like me to put our money at such great risk in the bank. Bank thieves think the larger the deposit, the more undetectable the siphoning off will be. O ต.ม. be merciful and you will attain nibbana.

Say what? Nibbana? New kind of dog biscuit?

Mate, find yourself another country to live in as the stress you are experiencing will cause you major health problems in the not too distant future.

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Don't worry

tomorrow everything should be fixed and the money will appear again

it was a regrettable problem (The bank should blame the computer

or the us\china economic war or anything else out of their responsability)

all was a misunderstanding and end with a wai 

17 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Inside bank job according to the news.

Seems a manager and staff have been asked to explain this mystifying issue

Oh a basket of flowers was delivered along a promise cash will re appear

All will be well in paradise

Archived