Thai road carnage continues: 73 perish in one day but there may be more

webfact

Thai road carnage continues: 73 perish in one day but there may be more

8pm1.jpg
Thai caption: Campaign to lower the death toll: 73 dead on Tuesday

Daily News reported that 73 people were reported killed on Thai roads on Tuesday. 

They cautioned that this figure was likely to rise when all reports are in. Besides this is just the death toll from those that die at the scene. 

Those that die on the way to hospital or in hospital are counted separately. 

Tuesday's death toll brought the number of at-the-scene fatalities this month to 597.

The total for the year to date is now 12,715. 

8pm2.jpg
Picture: Daily News

The reality regarding the death toll is that the figures are likely to be twice as bad. It has been admitted by senior government figures that the death toll is in excess of 20,000 annually. 

Many campaigners put it at between 24,000 and 26,000 a year. 

Daily News report the carnage daily along with helpful tips on driving. 

8pm3.jpg
Picture: Daily News

In this report they highlighted the need to look carefully when turning. 

They said that a motorcyclist was severely injured when he collided with the left door of a Toyota pick-up that was turning left into a soi outside the entrance to the Greenery Park housing estate in Beung sub-district of Sri Racha. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-14

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s natural selection. 

We all know there’s no law enforcement and Thais don’t care if they live or die, so leave them to it. 

I never laughed at death until I spent a decade in Thailand. Now I simply don’t care if they all die on the road and spill their brains on the pavement. Their life, their choice. If they don’t care about it, I’m not going to.

I have probably seen more accidents here than in all of the rest of the world put together and I lived in India for three years. Almost without fail, every accident I have seen here has been as a result of one or more parties involved having done something incredibly stupid. They don't learn from the carnage, and they don't seem to care about it either. No one does anything whatsoever to even slow it down, especially the cops who are supposed to, but are too busy collecting tea money. Be very careful out there folks, as there is more than one idiot around every corner.

6 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I have probably seen more accidents here than in all of the rest of the world put together and I lived in India for three years. Almost without fail, every accident I have seen here has been as a result of one or more parties involved having done something incredibly stupid. They don't learn from the carnage, and they don't seem to care about it either. No one does anything whatsoever to even slow it down, especially the cops who are supposed to, but are too busy collecting tea money. Be very careful out there folks, as there is more than one idiot around every corner.

Just a reflection of the mentality of the population!

I would say that a significant chunk of Thai motorists have so little idea what they are doing out there, that they should be catching the bus to work, not riding or driving. The only problem with that suggestion of course, is that the bus driver is probably even less qualified to be on the roads than the idiots he would be carrying.

13 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Frankly, amazing there's not even more accidents.

28 minutes ago, dcnx said:

It’s natural selection. 

We all know there’s no law enforcement and Thais don’t care if they live or die, so leave them to it. 

I never laughed at death until I spent a decade in Thailand. Now I simply don’t care if they all die on the road and spill their brains on the pavement. Their life, their choice. If they don’t care about it, I’m not going to.

Don't so much laugh as just shake my head at the things I see.

Yesterday saw a scooter turning right in front of a car that was going the wrong way on the wrong side of the road.

Luckily the scooter rider was only scatched a bit when the car hit her scooter and she fell off.

At the same X road I've waited to turn right and as soon as I start to move I've had pick-ups and bikes from behind me appear on my right hand side, they just couldn't wait to get in front.

riding home last night down ThungKlom 9, a straight fairly well lit main road on the dark side, I see a pair of lights fast approaching in my mirrors (mirrors? what a concept) two motorcycles fly by me on the wrong side of the road doing at least 100kph and loud. One has two boys, other has one boy who looked barely big enough for his feet to touch the foot pegs. They're out'a sight down the road in seconds. No helmets, no brains.

I worry about the stupid stray dogs laying and wandering in the road and causing an accident - those two would have (make that WILL one day soon) learn the art of flying if even for a few seconds.

People like to blame the Thais, rightly so, but there are many equally insane farangs riding around Pattaya. They seem to think that because Thailand has no traffic laws they can ride like idiots. My only accident here, so far, was caused by one such brain dead farang.

75-100 is about right 

30,000 per year is the external calculations including deaths not at the scene.

Something to be proud of , yet nobody gives a toss

Think about all the people who are maimed  & severely injured on top of that. 

Saying that you don't see that many peg legs or one armed folk about.

5 minutes ago, Henryford said:

People like to blame the Thais, rightly so, but there are many equally insane farangs riding around Pattaya. They seem to think that because Thailand has no traffic laws they can ride like idiots. My only accident here, so far, was caused by one such brain dead farang.

The number of farangs driving around in a crazy fashion is negligible

9 minutes ago, NE1 said:

They do have traffic laws , what they don't have is enforcement of said laws.

You were faster.

Thailand is a role model for what happens when you allow motor vehicles without driving school, laughable driving test on the office yard and close to NO preventive and on the road policing.

Since I did the motorbike license from scratch here, I feel more fearful on Thai roads.

If people want to drive poorly maintained cars and bikes with no lights, poor brakes, no helmet, drunk etc and kill themselves, then that's up to them. The issue is when they hit and kill someone else. Very selfish behavior.

I used to think that the key to the problem (at least up my way) was that they were taught irresponsible behaviours at a very young age and that there was NO-ONE to provide an alternative role model..not parents,family,government agencies,police or schools.

I often observed very young children being "taught" by standing in the well of the scooters..not a helmet in sight.By 10 years of age they were captains of their own ship and by 18 they were likely to be dead.

These irresponsible behaviours were simply transfered across when they climbed into a car instead of a motor cycle.

But do you think you can reduce fatal accidents, just by talking about it?
Wake up, dear Minister of Transport, the time has come!
To eliminate plastic bags, even the PM invests his "precious" time!
The whole government is constantly talking about the deaths because of smoking, alcohol etc, are you trying to prohibit them and the many deaths on the road ???

Who cares,that's 76 people that ain't going to crash into me and do a runner or blame me.i was speaking to a fella last week.3 girls,no license,insurance smashed into the side of him that hard his airbags went off and done quite a bit of damage.they all met at the station to sort it out.he walked in and there were 30 members of the girls family there and some even behind the desk.well he was getting the blame and even his insurance assessor was there blaming him because they had no choice but stick with the thais.

i had a old woman knock my pcx over that was parked up.just gave the old wai said had no money and went off shopping at the market.no problem though as it must of been not my fault and cost 9,200b for headlight and front mudguard.

if I ever have an accident here I will 100% do as they do and drive off.

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

It’s natural selection. 

The problem is if they involve you in their madness. You can drive as carefully as you like, but if someone comes at you on the wrong side of the road, or runs a red light, or or or, then you are added to those death figures.

So, nothing to laugh at, really.

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

It’s natural selection. 

Brains????

Archived