Swedish businessman sues Future Forward MP over BMW fraud

webfact

Swedish businessman sues Future Forward MP over BMW fraud

By The Nation

800_bd674b7360042ab.jpg?v=1573708900

Swedish businessman Casper Bartholdi, 34, on Wednesday filed a complaint with the Crime Suppression Division against Jaruk Srion, a Future Forward party MP, Jaruk’s brother and Thai Thanayontakarn Co for fraud.

The victim said he saw Jaruk’s post offering a second-hand BMW series 7 2011 edition for sale with 60,000 miles on the clock on a website. He was interested in the car and asked his Thai wife to contact the seller. They all agreed to meet at a used car shop in the Kanchanaphisek area.

After seeing the car and agreeing on a price of Bt1.45 million, the victim drove the car home only to have it break down on the motorway. He was forced to call for the vehicle to be towed to a garage and claims he has since had the car fixed 3 times at a cost of Bt300,00.

He took the vehicle to an official BMW dealer in Chonburi, where he discovered the vehicle had 400,000 miles on the clock, not the stated 60,000. He contacted Jaruk and asked for Bt1 million compensation but Jaruk only wanted to give him Bt300,000.

“We said no to the offer and went to the police but Jaruk said that we could not touch him since he was an MP. Then we took the matter to Crime Suppression Division to seek justice,” Bartholdi’s sister-in-law told reporters.

An officer received the complaint and documented it for further investigation.

The same evening, Jaruk made a statement saying that he wasn’t involved in the deal. He claimed that he was just a coordinator since he was a close friend of the owner of the second-hand car business.. “He should sue the owner, not me” Jaruk said. He also claimed that he never witnessed nor was involved in the transfer of money and now intends to file a complaint against the Swede.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378333

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-14

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

They all agreed to meet at a used car shop in the Kanchanaphisek area.

What a stupid idea to buy a used car in Thailand!
When we live here for some time we know very well that most used vehicles do not have the real mileage seen on the meter and that for many of them, they come from accident vehicles redone "as new" with a hammer and three screwdrivers ..

I was forced to change the rev counter / speedometer part on my Isuzu pickup;
It had  151,300 km on the clock;
I thought that when repairing at the Isuzu dealership they were going to reset the meter to the mileage previously displayed!
No, I got a vehicle with a new dashboard and zero km on the ODO meter.
Fortunately, I took the precaution of noting my initial mileage which is written on a sticker glue on the ashtray.
For 7,000 baht you have a vehicle of several years which officially has an ODO meter at zero km.

5 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

What a stupid idea to buy a used car in Thailand!
When we live here for some time we know very well that most used vehicles do not have the real mileage seen on the meter and that for many of them, they come from accident vehicles redone "as new" with a hammer and three screwdrivers ..

THREE screwdrivers???

A well stocked workshop then.

Shame on the MP if true.

I'm certainly no businessman, but even I wouldn't buy a secondhand car here. Not because I feel there's any more chance of me being sold a dud here than there is back home, but because if I was sold a dud, I'd have very little in the way of recourse. 

Anything of significance I buy here is from a reputable dealer with a proper warranty. 

1 hour ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

The Thai man has money and power, so the farang has zero chance of getting anything back. 

Worse still he will have the cost of the counter suing and have to surrender his passport to the court and possibly be unable to leave the country from at least one to perhaps three years. He will loose his visa and be placed on a court visa that will have to be collected from the court every 30 days taken to immigration to be stamped and returned to the court. He will of course loose in court have to pay compensation for defamation and legal representation. Welcome to the Thai justice system.

47 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

How would anyone be able to do that when it's on a second-hand car lot and they don't own the car?

Take the car for a test drive and drive it there!I know in Australia it's not unusual to have a used car checked before a purchase.If the car is on a used car lot and they refuse a request to have it checked out then you might suspect something maybe wrong and for the price paid I don't think it's an unreasonable request. 

50 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

How would anyone be able to do that when it's on a second-hand car lot and they don't own the car?

You can take the VIN number and call the OEM dealership. 

All major manufacturers will be able to assist if the vehicle is in their national system and be happy to tell you service history, mileage etc. 

If it is in a second hand car lot you will be able to compare the mileage from the last registered service to see if it tallies.

Any doubt at all then don't purchase.

33 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Lesson 1: Never trust a one of them.

Lesson 2: Always get a second hand car checked out by the dealership before handing over any money. Check service records, mileage etc.

Lesson 3: if you are not an idiot do not buy second hand

Lesson 4: if you are a cheap charlie do not buy a German car

On 11/14/2019 at 3:12 PM, FarFlungFalang said:

Take the car for a test drive and drive it there!I know in Australia it's not unusual to have a used car checked before a purchase.If the car is on a used car lot and they refuse a request to have it checked out then you might suspect something maybe wrong and for the price paid I don't think it's an unreasonable request. 

Do you think a tent gives you enough time to take the car to a technician for a full once-over whilst on a test drive accompanied by an employee waiting with you?!

On 11/14/2019 at 2:58 PM, Nip said:

Worse still he will have the cost of the counter suing and have to surrender his passport to the court and possibly be unable to leave the country from at least one to perhaps three years. He will loose his visa and be placed on a court visa that will have to be collected from the court every 30 days taken to immigration to be stamped and returned to the court. He will of course loose in court have to pay compensation for defamation and legal representation. Welcome to the Thai justice system.

Nip - you are wrong sorry.

"surrender his passport to the court"

Never happens - it is an old wives tale.

The court will instruct him to place funds in Escrow for each of the cases.

His lawsuit against the MP is a separate case to the counter-suit from the MP.

Two different Escrows. He will likely be instructed to place THB 2,500,000 into each Escrow to guarantee the costs if he loses. Obviously he gets that money back if he loses.

"be unable to leave the country from at least one to perhaps three years"

The courts do not force you to stay here.

You can appoint a lawyer and give them Power of Attorney Legal.

He is free to return to his country and continue his business.

"He will loose his visa"

Wrong again sorry.

Having a current court filing DOES NOT affect your visa, unless YOU choose to use your court documents to change to a special visa for court cases - which is 90 days NOT 30.

"and be placed on a court visa that will have to be collected from the court every 30 days taken to immigration to be stamped and returned to the court"

Has not been the case un the past 3 years anyways - I cannot speak before 3 years because that is when my court case started - so I only have first-hand experience for those 3 years.

"He will of course loose in court have to pay compensation for defamation and legal representation"

Again - not true.

I have had great success in winning 3 out of my 5 court cases - 2 of which are ongoing but will ultimately succeed.

YOU need to be in charge of putting together your own evidence.

If you do it to international standards then you will win every time.

Thai legal teams will just do enough to get over the line - whereas, if you do it yourself you will have everything covered and have evidence to refute everything the opposing team can throw at you.

Thai Courts ALWAYS allocate costs of court to the losing team.

Archived