Popular Thai Beaches Pricier Than European Resorts: It’s Not Just About the Higher Baht

dimitriv

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

I use 5* resorts and worry about the price.  But if the price is not right and fair, I prefer to stay at home in my 5* home. The high-season prices are usually way more than I am willing to pay, but I also prefer to avoid the crowd and therefore travel in the low-season only.

Same, 

Also if i can fly to the maldives and get a better hotel on a lonely island that is absolutely clean with stunning villas over the sea where sharks are swimming around in an all inclusive package for the same price i would pay for a 4/5* in Phuket then i also don't have to think twice.

Alternatively Phu Quoc is pretty much the same as Phuket, tons of new and cheap and decent hotels there and only 1 hour flight away...and everyone there gets a VoA for 30 days no matter what nationality.

It's all about value for money, phuket this isn't anything special in terms of beaches or location.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dcnx said:

I stopped recommending Thailand a few years ago. There are so many better places to go for a holiday. Between the locals and the hordes of Chinese, I’m not sure who ruined things more but it’s incredibly difficult to actually relax here now unless you go somewhere during the off season or luck out. I can’t even grab a coffee at a cafe anymore without contemplating snapping the neck of at least one Chinese tourist who is either yelling across the room, trying to cut in line, or allowing their kids to use every chair as a their own personal jungle gym.

I didn’t think I’d ever despise a group of people as much as I’ve come to despise Chinese tourists. They are a plague upon the earth.

Hard to imagine/believe that any people could have supplanted the Russians in this regard, but the Chinese have done it in spades.

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

Just looking on airbnb for Samui the prices are so low, 1 bedroom condo 52sqm with a pool 640 baht per night, they cant be making any money

No they prolly don't but many are forced to rent out because they have mortgages to pay. The only ones buying property with cash here are foreigners...

My family and I have been going to beach resorts here, every year, until 4 years ago.

The price and value-for-money level has simply become too high compared to surrounding countries. Feel we get much more luxury and better service for our money in places like Dubai, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Cambodia etc.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dcnx said:

Just keep raising the prices because you don’t have customers. That will fix it. 

Yes, that appears to be the classic model, although I’ve seen some enlightened establishments that are doing good promotions to get customers in, however that only works if they are already here.

Good example of what's going on.  We booked two rooms (connecting) in resort at Karon Beach for a total of $85 USD/nt in mid October.  That same exact 2 rooms are now $619 USD/nt for the time period of Dec 23rd - Jan 3.  They also want mandatory 5,000 baht per person for a new years dinner.   I can see 2x or 3x low season, but over 7x low season?

The crazy thing is that when looking for Phuket lodging, a lot of the resorts are showing booked.  Having 5 adults makes it tougher to find rooms for a good chunk of resorts unless you want to rent 3 rooms. Looking at AirBnB now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

i think this is the thing thailand doesn't understand, back when it was really popular you could stay on the beach for 300 baht and if you wanted some luxury 1000 baht max per night - now those figures are 2500 - 25,000 baht. i don't care how much the baht has rose, it has not rose 10 times and the beaches and resorts are not 10 times better, if anything they are 10 times worse.

oh and this of course:

i could not agree more with that, and not from a jaded expat perspective, but from a well read 40-something perspective. thailand just isn't cool anymore, its barely ever mentioned anymore in the types of articles it once was and when it is, it's lambasted for its uncleanliness and unfriendliness

Spot on. They won't learn until it's too late and they have lost all their tourism to cheaper, friendlier and less arrogant neighbours. The strong baht is a temporary and non-essential factor. It is much more than just that. Hotel pricing is one aspect. 

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker

18 hours ago, dcnx said:

I didn’t think I’d ever despise a group of people as much as I’ve come to despise Chinese tourists. They are a plague upon the earth.

That is because Thailand attracts the bottom of the barrel. I've many times stayed at a 4* hotel in Dubai and seen the way they behave there, both at breakfast and elsewhere, and their behaviour can barely be faulted in any way. They don't shout, their kids sit quietly at the table, they don't attack the buffet like vultures tearing at a corpse.

• Like 1

Been on a Thai island 20 years and that article is pretty accurate IMO.  Never heard a Thai utter the words "overdeveloped".  I am thinking pretty soon they will be building cement shop houses on top of elephants.  That would bring the amazingness back!!

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Just had a look at 5 start hotels Samui 1st december  and they are nearly all  around $230 USD on booking.com. The article is definitely incorrect

But how were these prices half a year ago ?

I can imagine if you own a hotel and you still have rooms not booked for december that you will drop the prices quickly. Offers for december are really last minute.

Edited by dimitriv

16 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

Good example of what's going on.  We booked two rooms (connecting) in resort at Karon Beach for a total of $85 USD/nt in mid October.  That same exact 2 rooms are now $619 USD/nt for the time period of Dec 23rd - Jan 3.  They also want mandatory 5,000 baht per person for a new years dinner.   I can see 2x or 3x low season, but over 7x low season?

The crazy thing is that when looking for Phuket lodging, a lot of the resorts are showing booked.  Having 5 adults makes it tougher to find rooms for a good chunk of resorts unless you want to rent 3 rooms. Looking at AirBnB now.

What dates are you looking at? 

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Popular Thai Beaches Pricier Than European Resorts: It’s Not Just About the Higher Baht

Raini Hamdi, Skift

Beach.jpg

It’s easy to blame the baht as the butt of the problem for a decline in European arrivals to Thailand. The issues are wider and deeper than just currency appreciation.

— Raini Hamdi

The cost of a holiday in popular beach resorts in Thailand is now on par with or higher than those in Greece, Italy, Spain, Turkey, and Egypt, which are closer to home for Europeans.

The cost of a five-star resort in Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Samed has reached around $500 per room per night including American breakfast. This is similar to the cost of a five-star beach resort in Greece, Italy and Spain, and dearer than a comparable property in Turkey or Egypt, which costs $350 a night, according to Diethelm Travel Group.

It is even pricier than a mountain resort in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, which is $450 a room in the summer July/August high season for Europeans.

Full story: https://skift.com/2019/11/13/popular-thai-beaches-pricier-than-european-resorts-its-not-just-about-the-higher-baht/

-- Skift 2019-11-14

99.9% do not stay in $500 a night hotels.It is the baht .plus the thai etcetcetc putting prices up as well.Pluss the attitude of no respect to tourists.ie only looked upon to scam steal from.etc etc etc.

18 hours ago, Monomial said:

Not true. Many people who can afford 5 star resorts created their wealth by knowing how to spot good value for money. They care about all the things you've said, but they also want to feel they are getting it for a fraction of its true value. They may not worry about the price, but many are still influenced by it. 

Thailand has most definitely lost the perception of being good value for money. That is going to hurt no matter how it occurred. There is still a market niche for travellers who really do completely ignore price, but there is now a glut of businesses fighting for that much smaller crowd. And anyone who isn't absolutely the best of the best is going to suffer in that environment.

Thailand has only ever appealed, in volume, to cheap charlie westerners whether it be sex tourists after cheap girls, retirees and snowbirds after cheap living and winter sun or backpackers after cheap beaches and thrills.

affluent westerners, get their pick of European and Caribbean resorts which are miles ahead of anything Thailand has to offer.

so where are all the westerners? well the affluent never came in any numbers and aren't likely too in the future save a seismic shift in thailand's tourist offering and the cheapies value travellers have been priced out or found new travel locations

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GeorgeCross said:

Thailand has only ever appealed, in volume, to cheap charlie westerners whether it be sex tourists after cheap girls, retirees and snowbirds after cheap living and winter sun or backpackers after cheap beaches and thrills.

affluent westerners, get their pick of European and Caribbean resorts which are miles ahead of anything Thailand has to offer.

so where are all the westerners? well the affluent never came in any numbers and aren't likely too in the future save a seismic shift in thailand's tourist offering and the cheapies value travellers have been priced out or found new travel locations

I agree with your sentiment but not 100% with the fact. Looking around I know of several westerners who have been here for many years who own nice property, have established families and enjoy a high level of income. I'm sure that picture is not fully replicated everywhere in Thailand but I wouldn't underestimate the silent few/many/some who tend not to post on TVF, albeit a few do. 

6 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Then you have the military junta, the immigration officers, the corrupt system, police officers who don't know what their jobs are. 

All which a zero effect on your average 7 day tourist. Vietnam is communist with a shocking human rights record but does that stop tourism? of course not

"Pattaya is an eyesore.

Constantly dirty. 

Constantly being dug up."

The article doesn't mention Pattaya

Edited by madmen
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Creasy said:

Quote-

Singapore is the only one that stands out in the region for proper planning and development, said Kevan. “With Singapore, short-term thinking is the next 10 years, long term is 50 years. With virtually every other country in the region short term is yesterday and long term is tomorrow.”

The Thais can't see past tomorrow, as can be seen in their infrastructure planning 

Since when did the Thais do infrastructure planning?

When I first made the decision to move to Thailand 30 years ago, many of my friends and family were eager to visit me.  I had lots of visitors during my first 15 years here.  Those who even express a desire to visit me and my Thai family are now encouraging us to come to them or meet elsewhere.  Only two have come during the past decade.  Those who were initially eager now question why I choose to continue to stay here.  Pollution is their biggest complaint following by double pricing which makes them feel like they are being cheated.  My last visitors stayed at well-known 4-5 star hotels and were shocked to discover that Locals received reduced rates.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

Just for that reason I try to spend as little as possible in Thailand and keep the cash to spend in countries not exploiting their citizens and guests like this.

Then why do you even visit Thailand? I am curious.

2 hours ago, soistalker said:

Most Thais have never been to europe, let alone a resort, so their experience is limited to throwing trash and polluted beaches. They just dont know. So the cheating and scams and theiving and low-level behavior is all they know. 

Sure, in other countries, too. But not like Thailand.

I live in a very nice villapark but also here the thai show their selfish mind all day long....they are just very uncivilised people, very selfish and bad mannered. They don't even care for their neighbours at all.

• Like 1