Popular Thai Beaches Pricier Than European Resorts: It’s Not Just About the Higher Baht

dimitriv

19 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

A lot of stuff and services are priced crazy high for no reason but to exploit consumers by Thai Oligarchy

You can stick your wine bottles starting at 1400 THB / A$70 at an average restaurant and 140 THB A$7 for 330ml of beer imitation to the area where the sun doesn't shine.

You want quality food? You are looking at 400+ / A$20 per dish - that is on par with 1st world cities where everybody (bartenders, waiters, truck drivers) earn in an hour more than the staff in Thailand per day.

Just for that reason I try to spend as little as possible in Thailand and keep the cash to spend in countries not exploiting their citizens and guests like this.

A lot of business travelers that have excessively generous expense allowances (even some government) will pay these prices.  My brother- in- law racks up $500 lunches as a senior partner with his corporate law firm when meeting with clients, but he often eats at fast food restaurants when it on his own dime.    I remember in the 1970’s seeing $50 cantaloupe ???? on the Ginza in Tokyo , each with its own wood gift box.   I thought , who in the hell would pay that for a damm cantaloupe!   (where I live) cost far less than a dollar !   I was told they were always bought by business executives as gifts for clients.  
Easy to spend someone else’s money. 

20 hours ago, dcnx said:

I stopped recommending Thailand a few years ago. There are so many better places to go for a holiday. Between the locals and the hordes of Chinese, I’m not sure who ruined things more but it’s incredibly difficult to actually relax here now unless you go somewhere during the off season or luck out. I can’t even grab a coffee at a cafe anymore without contemplating snapping the neck of at least one Chinese tourist who is either yelling across the room, trying to cut in line, or allowing their kids to use every chair as a their own personal jungle gym.

I didn’t think I’d ever despise a group of people as much as I’ve come to despise Chinese tourists. They are a plague upon the earth.

Maybe, just maybe, we will see signs like the one's that I saw in Malaysia a few years ago when I was on a self drive touring golfing holiday. Many of the golf courses that I was lucky enough to play on had signs that said 'No Koreans', they were so loathed for their very bad manners, both on and off the golf course. I doubt that the Thai's will do this as money is their master and I think always will be.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:
1 hour ago, DrPhibes said:

Good example of what's going on.  We booked two rooms (connecting) in resort at Karon Beach for a total of $85 USD/nt in mid October.  That same exact 2 rooms are now $619 USD/nt for the time period of Dec 23rd - Jan 3.  They also want mandatory 5,000 baht per person for a new years dinner.   I can see 2x or 3x low season, but over 7x low season?

The crazy thing is that when looking for Phuket lodging, a lot of the resorts are showing booked.  Having 5 adults makes it tougher to find rooms for a good chunk of resorts unless you want to rent 3 rooms. Looking at AirBnB now.

What dates are you looking at? 

a better question might be "has anyone seen my glasses?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just getting back to reality - I suspect most of us living in Thailand don't have the money for European holidays or 5 star resorts whether in Thailand or elsewhere.

When we go to Bangkok, Pattaya, Puket or Samui (tourist places) we would normally stay somewhere in the 800 - 1200 Baht per night range. There always seems to be plenty of choice.

Of course, being from Australia, the beaches in Thailand aren't particularly noteworthy. I rate the Andaman coast, but even there falls a little short (no surfing waves).

19 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

A lot of stuff and services are priced crazy high for no reason but to exploit consumers by Thai Oligarchy

You can stick your wine bottles starting at 1400 THB / A$70 at an average restaurant and 140 THB A$7 for 330ml of beer imitation to the area where the sun doesn't shine.

You want quality food? You are looking at 400+ / A$20 per dish - that is on par with 1st world cities where everybody (bartenders, waiters, truck drivers) earn in an hour more than the staff in Thailand per day.

Just for that reason I try to spend as little as possible in Thailand and keep the cash to spend in countries not exploiting their citizens and guests like this.

Over exagerated.  Bought a good botte of (South African) wine  for 600 baht the other day and a Friend of mine went to Chaweng on Koh Samui YESTERDAY and bought a small beer for 55 baht.  Our favourite restaurant, which is rated 5* on Trip Adviser serves a delicious culinary experience for less than 400 baht per person, in a lovely comfortable air conditioned restaurant. 

Suggest you do your research before firing from the hip with you keyboard!  Another keyboard cowboy!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, saengd said:

I agree with your sentiment but not 100% with the fact. Looking around I know of several westerners who have been here for many years who own nice property, have established families and enjoy a high level of income. I'm sure that picture is not fully replicated everywhere in Thailand but I wouldn't underestimate the silent few/many/some who tend not to post on TVF, albeit a few do. 

yes i am one of them. which is why i pre-faced my argument as follows:

Thailand has only ever appealed, in volume, to cheap charlie westerners..

4 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Of course, being from Australia, the beaches in Thailand aren't particularly noteworthy. I rate the Andaman coast, but even there falls a little short (no surfing waves).

I agree, the beaches in Thailand leave a lot to be desired, especially for me, coming from Florida in the USSA. I lived in Holland for years; great beaches, very clean, just too cold. Ditto Portugal. Meia Praia in Lagos is probably the most incredible beach I've been on -- I'm an inveterate beach walker -- but 19C water temperature...????

Edited by GalaxyMan

4 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

Over exagerated.  Bought a good botte of (South African) wine  for 600 baht the other day and a Friend of mine went to Chaweng on Koh Samui YESTERDAY and bought a small beer for 55 baht.  Our favourite restaurant, which is rated 5* on Trip Adviser serves a delicious culinary experience for less than 400 baht per person, in a lovely comfortable air conditioned restaurant. 

Suggest you do your research before firing from the hip with you keyboard!  Another keyboard cowboy!

could be true, or it could be his idea of "average" is not the same as yours :cheesy:

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Do people who use 5* resorts worry about the price?

I would have though the weather, service and beach/sea quality would be all that mattered.

why do so many people not understand the written word . the whole point of this thread is ," people could not afford 5 star hotels in europe so they came to thailand where a 5 star hotel was a fraction of the european price "
Now it is the same price as europe , no point in coming here as the weather , service and beach/sea quality is a lot better aroung the med and south of france and spain . Not to hard for me to understand 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, seasia said:

Yes of course.

Thailand with it s terrible driving standards, excessive noise and pollution, short changing and overpricing is not attractive compared to many parts of Europe.

Some friends of mine went to Cannes in France at a lower cost then a Thailand trip would have cost.

I had advised them to avoid Thailand.

so why are you here?

• Sad 1

The word "cynicism" is a word that springs to mind regarding the comments here but calm reflection of the reality is that "just criticism" is actually more accurate.

Each year, it seems to me that Thais in businesses catering for tourists, are closing in towards the end of the spectrum of, "knowing the price of everything, but the value of nothing"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The genuine smile of ordinary Thais departed Thailand many years ago. Having experienced it myself, I regret that it left, as it was truly a wondrous thing.

Only other place where people smiled like that where I've been was rural Fiji, in the 70s.

In the part of Thailand where they have to deals with drunk sexpats everyday, Thailand has loads more beaches than Samui, Phuket and Pattaya. If you go to the other places it will be the same experience as you got in Samui, Phuket and Pattaya 30 years ago. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bamboozle said:

why do so many people not understand the written word . the whole point of this thread is ," people could not afford 5 star hotels in europe so they came to thailand where a 5 star hotel was a fraction of the european price "
Now it is the same price as europe , no point in coming here as the weather , service and beach/sea quality is a lot better aroung the med and south of france and spain . Not to hard for me to understand 

Dunno, if I had the money for 5* resorts I'd be in Mauritius or the Seychelles.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Drunken 'romance traveller' here (please), most of the time the smiling Thai girls were even more drunk than me.

Yes, your predilection for high-class women is well known. ???? You and bar girls, water seeking its own level.

Edited by GalaxyMan
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, dcnx said:

I can’t even grab a coffee at a cafe anymore without contemplating snapping the neck of at least one Chinese tourist who is either yelling across the room, trying to cut in line, or allowing their kids to use every chair as a their own personal jungle gym.

I didn’t think I’d ever despise a group of people as much as I’ve come to despise Chinese tourists. They are a plague upon the earth.

...... and then there are the"others" ...... from the Sub Continent?

5 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

The surveyors seem to use Samui and Phuket to represent beach locations...

the above 2 locations are now priced like their Mediterranean sites way above other Thai beach locations...

....... is that why a few years ago, Pattaya City Officials compared Pattaya as the "Riviera" of Asia!!?? I have NO IDEA how they could even contemplate such a comparison?????