Popular Thai Beaches Pricier Than European Resorts: It’s Not Just About the Higher Baht

dimitriv

My parents fly to an all inclusive resort with a bridge tournament included in Mexico for half the price they paid last time for flight and hotel here in Thailand !!! This already for 4 years now. They don't even get arrested when playing bridge in Mexico. Many other were here in Thailand !!!!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

It's all about quantity, not quality in Thailand. Easier to bring in a chartered flight from China, charging them only once at the Chinese travel agency for 'all inclusive in Thailand'. No need for pesky individual tourists, who only complain about scams, overcharging, and bribes. 

Why does Thailand love Chinese and Indian tourists? Because they haven't heard of the low-quality service, bad attitude, scams, and sewage-polluted seas yet. Once word gets around in China and India what a crappy and overpriced destination Thailand is, TAT will be forced to find new tourists in the Andaman Islands, Amazon rainforest, or Siberian tundra, where internet is not as prevalent.

Nonsense. Individual travellers are often more tolerant with a sense of adventure..frequently well travelled, cosmopolitan and easy going.

How can they be popular now then, if they are pricier than those elsewhere? People vote with their wallet.

Also, with regards to cheapness, what sort of tourists do you want to come here to Thailand? Backpackers who spend no money? Chinese tourists who spend their money in Chinese owned businesses? Fami!ies? Russians? 

Once upon a time, Thailand was popular. Around the 60's and 70's with Americans..... 

Times change and we must change with it. Western tourists are shamed by carbon footprint now. Climate change is forefront of many people's minds. Tourism will die soon. No one will be able to travel anywhere soon.

On 11/14/2019 at 2:52 PM, BritManToo said:

Do people who use 5* resorts worry about the price?

I would have though the weather, service and beach/sea quality would be all that mattered.

I use 5 star resorts and I always compare prices, weather, service and beach/sea quality.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tops said:

My parents fly to an all inclusive resort with a bridge tournament included in Mexico for half the price they paid last time for flight and hotel here in Thailand !!! This already for 4 years now. They don't even get arrested when playing bridge in Mexico. Many other were here in Thailand !!!!

Cant even play Cards here without the risk of getting arrested, sheeeet!

RELAX:
If you guys dont mind about the lack of western restaurants, shopping mall, night life and a little bit of wind i recommend to check Laem Mae Phim Beach (Klaeng, Rayong) now is the time of the best weather and without tourists around dispite the little sweedish and german community around the block.  Rents are +- ok, food +- cheap and you have a beautiful beach. Personaly i avoid weekends but during the week is perfect.

But yeah, getting expensive.. Few days in my home country - Portugal - and you realize that Thailand is expensive. Unfortunately Portugal hot weather is just few months a year.

• Like 1

The sky is falling but the Thais do not care 19 bhat to the $nz.

Lucky I built at 25 Bhat to the $N.Z. I am staying here been here 15 years got my own piece of paradise. I mind my own business and live every day as a holiday.

It it is all in the planning before one jumps ship to Thailand.

But I agree the thais need to wake up before the golden goose dies. 

23 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Do you have any proof of your "most likely" and "may also know"

I only see foreigners who are scared to have a conflict with Thai people and rather live in an unpleasant surrounding or run away. Then they say that Thais are very scared, what a joke.

Yes plenty of examples. Ask ant foreigner married to a Thai and they are told don't make a fuss by their partner all the time. Precisely foreignervs but they leave not run away. Your last statement is very arrogant considering Thai history but let's not talk about Thai's 30 minute defence of their country against Japan or the little invation thinking you could bully a little country only to be slapped about big time let's just mention the thousands of news stories where a pack of Thai men beat down one forighner quiet often pensioners. Rather sill of you bringing this up. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Yes plenty of examples. Ask ant foreigner married to a Thai and they are told don't make a fuss by their partner all the time. Precisely foreignervs but they leave not run away. Your last statement is very arrogant considering Thai history but let's not talk about Thai's 30 minute defence of their country against Japan or the little invation thinking you could bully a little country only to be slapped about big time let's just mention the thousands of news stories where a pack of Thai men beat down one forighner quiet often pensioners. Rather sill of you bringing this up. 

I am married to a Thai and my wife doesn't tell me what to do. I don't leave, I solve the problem. When obnoxious, drunk foreigners make a fuss in your local at home, people help their friends being accosted too. Thailand didn't fight Japan, they worked together. Who is being silly now? Run Forrest run, there is a Thai doing something you don't like.

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

When obnoxious, drunk foreigners make a fuss in your local at home, people help their friends being accosted too.

Respectable Thai women don't enter bars, or even drink alcohol.

If they weren't there, they wouldn't have been accosted.

(applies equally to men, if you weren't in a bar you wouldn't have had a problem)

Edited by BritManToo

11 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

I am married to a Thai and my wife doesn't tell me what to do. I don't leave, I solve the problem. When obnoxious, drunk foreigners make a fuss in your local at home, people help their friends being accosted too. Thailand didn't fight Japan, they worked together. Who is being silly now? Run Forrest run, there is a Thai doing something you don't like.

What utter nonsense Mr Big man I wear the trousers in my house rubbish. And if you new me you would know the kind of person I am. Try learning Thai history 

JAPANESE TROOPS INVADED Thailand from Indochina and with landings south of Bangkok and at various points along the KRA  PENINSULA. Thailand surrendered and gave passage also Thailand joined the axis and did most of their fighting in the North in support of the Japanese army against the Chinese who were part of the allied allience and there in should have been treated as such which the United Kingdom wanted to do but America objected to as they wanted a foot hold in the region. Or do you want to go further back to the Burmese wars and ask what Thailand did? How old is Bangkok? As for your last statement lol you really do not know me. I'm ex British Army and a Scot and never once in my life backed down or run away in my life and still laughing. What a joke..... 

9 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

I use 5 star resorts and I always compare prices, weather, service and beach/sea quality.

I also use them sometimes but i also care a lot for what's outside the resort since i won't be staying in there all days long. And outside the resorts Thailand is just Thailand....a 3rd world country where nothing is organised or developed.

Last one was Mandarin Orchard Road Singapore, nice hotel in between the best malls...but i had to smoke outside on the street in the rain and under a tree full of birds who <deleted> all day long....it was all good though but i won't go back. I expected a smoking area, not on the street.

Edited by fruitman

On 11/14/2019 at 3:16 PM, GeorgeCross said:

i think this is the thing thailand doesn't understand, back when it was really popular you could stay on the beach for 300 baht and if you wanted some luxury 1000 baht max per night - now those figures are 2500 - 25,000 baht. i don't care how much the baht has rose, it has not rose 10 times and the beaches and resorts are not 10 times better, if anything they are 10 times worse.

oh and this of course:

i could not agree more with that, and not from a jaded expat perspective, but from a well read 40-something perspective. thailand just isn't cool anymore, its barely ever mentioned anymore in the types of articles it once was and when it is, it's lambasted for its uncleanliness and unfriendliness

And the thing is the Chinese tourists tend to visit once only, next year go somewhere else.

Edited by hansnl

On 11/14/2019 at 3:43 PM, nausea said:

Thailand's competitive advantage for Western tourists was always its cheapness, which one could offset against the airfare. All I can say is good luck with the Indians and Chinese. Actually, I think the presence of Western tourists here was probably part of the attraction for other nationalities. 

Not only the touristy things are losing their shine, but also medical tourism isnt really attractive any more.

Example, new lens in one day, day treatment, no bed, 62,000 baht, or € 1775, not including prescreening and aftercare, in private Hospital of course.

Total of nearly € 2000.

In the Netherlands, including prescreening and two aftercare visits, no bed, day treatment, no insurance, prices between € 820 and €1250, passer-by prices.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Respectable Thai women don't enter bars, or even drink alcohol.

If they weren't there, they wouldn't have been accosted.

(applies equally to men, if you weren't in a bar you wouldn't have had a problem)

Respectabele Thai women dont drink alcohol?

Are you really serious?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Scot123 said:

What utter nonsense Mr Big man I wear the trousers in my house rubbish. And if you new me you would know the kind of person I am. Try learning Thai history 

JAPANESE TROOPS INVADED Thailand from Indochina and with landings south of Bangkok and at various points along the KRA  PENINSULA. Thailand surrendered and gave passage also Thailand joined the axis and did most of their fighting in the North in support of the Japanese army against the Chinese who were part of the allied allience and there in should have been treated as such which the United Kingdom wanted to do but America objected to as they wanted a foot hold in the region. Or do you want to go further back to the Burmese wars and ask what Thailand did? How old is Bangkok? As for your last statement lol you really do not know me. I'm ex British Army and a Scot and never once in my life backed down or run away in my life and still laughing. What a joke..... 

Ex army, so what? Loads of people went to an army and haven't got a clue about how to fight one on one.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, fruitman said:

I also use them sometimes but i also care a lot for what's outside the resort since i won't be staying in there all days long. And outside the resorts Thailand is just Thailand....a 3rd world country where nothing is organised or developed.

Last one was Mandarin Orchard Road Singapore, nice hotel in between the best malls...but i had to smoke outside on the street in the rain and under a tree full of birds who <deleted> all day long....it was all good though but i won't go back. I expected a smoking area, not on the street.

Swissotel has a smoking room on the Skai Bar floor ( their in house bar) ... jfi. but in general it's hard there, couldnt even blame mandarin, it's just bs singapore laws.

6 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Swissotel has a smoking room on the Skai Bar floor ( their in house bar) ... jfi. but in general it's hard there, couldnt even blame mandarin, it's just bs singapore laws.

I stayed in the Swissotel as well but didn't like it much, i had to go smoking on that promenade....Novotel Clarke Quay let us smoke at the pooldeck which is much more fun...but that hotel is far from the subway...

I like the singapore laws in general but smoking hotel guests don't have to stand in the rain and bird droppings. The Mandarin is cheap though compared to thai hotels and you get much more quality in return.

How many posters stay at a 5 star hotel on a regular basis?  Less than

5 percent as even rich people know that everything is more expensive at these places.

I have eaten at the restaurants and used their fine facilities, but have only stayed once

as my relative works at a hotel chain, and we got a 50 percent off the room price.

This idea that Thailand is as expensive as say USA or Canada is laughable, as staying in

a tent at a private campground, is 25 dollars per night. And staying at a regular hotel

is not cheap, still at least 75 dollars, as in Thailand I can stay at a 2 or 3 star hotel

or at least guest house for 25 dollars per night. I can also eat 3 meals in Thailand for

less than 30 to 40 dollars, unless I want to eat at a fast food place, or food court

where it would be a lot cheaper.

Geezer

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

And staying at a regular hotel

is not cheap, still at least 75 dollars, as in Thailand I can stay at a 2 or 3 star hotel

or at least guest house for 25 dollars per night.

I have doubts about the prices you mention and the comparisons you make. You compare a hotel in the US with a guesthouse in Thailand.. 

For $25 you will not get much, even not in Thailand.  Guest house probably describes it good. Last time I was in Phuket I paid about 80 Euro a night for a 4 star hotel. In Europe 4 stars is good. In Thailand it means nothing. I think 2 stars would have better described the experience. 

And for $25 I can also stay in Europe in a guest house. 

I am sure that even in the lower segment southern Europe is cheaper than Thailand. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

How many posters stay at a 5 star hotel on a regular basis?  Less than

5 percent as even rich people know that everything is more expensive at these places.

I have eaten at the restaurants and used their fine facilities, but have only stayed once

as my relative works at a hotel chain, and we got a 50 percent off the room price.

This idea that Thailand is as expensive as say USA or Canada is laughable, as staying in

a tent at a private campground, is 25 dollars per night. And staying at a regular hotel

or at least guest house for 25 dollars per night. I can also eat 3 meals in Thailand for

less than 30 to 40 dollars, unless I want to eat at a fast food place, or food court

where it would be a lot cheaper.

Geezer

In Europe staying on a camping in high season costs 1000 euro a week....but those are very nice campings and families prefer them above hotels. 

To rent a mobile home costs another 1000 euro a week....for a small one that is.

5* hotels are very boring, campings are more fun.