Thailand Says It’s Seeking to Freely Allow Medical Marijuana

webfact

Thailand Says It’s Seeking to Freely Allow Medical Marijuana

By Anuchit Nguyen

Mar.jpg

Photographer: Taylor Weidman/Bloomberg

Thailand is speeding up legal changes to liberalize its nascent medical marijuana industry, according to the country’s health minister.

The changes will allow household cultivation of six cannabis plants to increase supplies for medical products, Anutin Charnvirakul said in a speech in Bangkok late Wednesday. The move will also give Thais a crop they can grow to boost their incomes, he said.

“We are in the process of changing laws to freely allow the medical use of marijuana,” he said. “We have high confidence that marijuana will be among the major agricultural products for Thai households. We are speeding up the law changes. But there is a process to it.”

Thailand last year became the first Southeast Asian nation to allow medical marijuana, stepping up its efforts to be come a bigger player in Asia’s expanding legal cannabis market.

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-14/thailand-says-it-s-seeking-to-freely-allow-medical-marijuana

-- Bloomberg 2019-11-14

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the article is correct that the current administration won't do it, and their 4 year term ends in 2023, then the world will probably be a lot less restrictive when the next administration takes over.

1 hour ago, Tounge Thaied said:

How, when, where, what price can we get our Hemp harvest to market?

I was hoping to make a hemp shirt with my harvest,with the first six plants I might be able to make a shirt pocket!Or maybe 3 A4 sheets of hemp paper!How much money can I make from selling 3 excellent quality A4 sheets of hemp paper that takes 6 months to grow?I can see this as being a complete and utter Cluster Fak.

17 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

the law worldwide causes far more harm than the substance ever will.. 

seriously ?

it was used in medicine for centuries before USA forbid it because it was a danger of the profits of the WOOD industry

yaba and alcohol are dangerous drugs

MJ sedates and makes people calm and have medicinal purposes

and it could be FREE for all

but that off course is a danger to BIG PHARMA's trillions PROFIT SCAM

1 minute ago, justin case said:

seriously ?

it was used in medicine for centuries before USA forbid it because it was a danger of the profits of the WOOD industry

yaba and alcohol are dangerous drugs

MJ sedates and makes people calm and have medicinal purposes

and it could be FREE for all

but that off course is a danger to BIG PHARMA's trillions PROFIT SCAM

I think the post you replied to meant that the law prohibiting weed causes more harm than using weed itself.

"I only need one plant."

That's southern Oregon.

https://www.marijuanaventure.com/growing-massive/

You're not going to be able to grow anything like that here, outdoors or indoors. 

Anutin is trying to move the decriminalization forward, and the "six-plant" option as promised, but honestly can't see that happening without strict controls (government permit, registration, medical apporovals, approved seeds, inspections). Also, private industry is attempting to slow things down so they can control the market. So somethign between the Thai Tobacco Monopoly and Boonrawd models duking it out.

Outdoors, and we're in harvest season now, plants look more like this... (from the police busts this week)

69616854_3012119865680636_3003343511945740288_o.jpg

75328576_1390433024452958_3017623934607556608_o.jpg

@mtls2005 You can't compare growing cannabis in a semi-legal first world environment by educated grower vs poor farmer risking harsh prison sentence. Native Thai genetic are sativa and they grow taller than indica variety grown in northern latitude. Some sativa native from South East Asia can reach 9m (30 feets). Not sure if the seeds have been saved in Asia but they still exist in western seed bank. 

I can't find the article where I read about these huge plants but here they talk about 20 feets: https://www.medicaljane.com/2013/07/22/cannabis-sativa-as-explained-by-medical-jane/

A lot of Cannabis plant have been bred to be more bushy, are planted later so they are smaller, are pinched or are shaded by tree. This make them harder to find by law enforcement and thieves. In a legal environment it's not an issue. Someone that I know used to tie down his 6+ foot plants so they would grow horizontaly to make them less visible by his neighbour. 

I can believe that the thai government will try to force specific genetic but I don't see it to be enforceable. 

27 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Outdoors, and we're in harvest season now, plants look more like this... (from the police busts this week)

Another month or so, the bottom photo nothing to be sneezed at. For those who were lucky enough to get Buddha sticks back when; Thai genetics seemed to be ok to me!

13 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

You can't compare growing cannabis

I wasn't comparing anything to anything.

Yes, local landraces are tall, spindly, subject to pollination. Rainy season, daylight hours restrict the possibilities.

My only point was that it is IMPOSSIBLE to grow that Oregon plant here. (OK, it could be grown but not even to 15% of that size/yield.)

Much of the legal activity here (government/university/research/medical) is indoors, or light dep.

Most of the illegal activity is outdoors brick weed, or indoor ultra-high quality (photo or auto).

7 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

Thai genetics seemed to be ok to me!

Yes, many, many, many, many breeds (auto and photo) have Thai sativa genetics (northern mountain, eastern provinces and Koh Chang) as a component.

A smart move by Thailand to be the first country in the region to jump on board this worldwide trend.

The herb was once used in Thailand for recreation, medicine, and cooking. Only after the Americans occupied the region was it outlawed - after pressure from the Americans - either you ban it, or we dont trade with you.

Its ironic that it has become legal in places in America before it was in SE Asia, where it used to be so common.

`Bong` is a Thai word - meaning bamboo. I think `ganga` is also Thai?

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

You're not going to be able to grow anything like that here, outdoors or indoors. 

I tend to disagree I grew a similar sized plant just north of Sydney in Oz,the secret is to start really early in the season about one month after the winter solstice when the days start getting longer with plenty of manure and regular and large amounts of water I think it's entirely possible to achieve similar results. 

On 11/8/2019 at 9:44 AM, Blue bruce said:

They are trying to legalize medical MJ not hemp for Thai households to grow. Please read the article correctly before commenting.

21 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I was hoping to make a hemp shirt with my harvest,with the first six plants I might be able to make a shirt pocket!Or maybe 3 A4 sheets of hemp paper!How much money can I make from selling 3 excellent quality A4 sheets of hemp paper that takes 6 months to grow?I can see this as being a complete and utter Cluster Fak.

40 minutes ago, 448glb said:

They are trying to legalize medical MJ not hemp for Thai households to grow. Please read the article correctly before commenting.

If you've followed the this legalisation story there are strong suggestions that some in the government will try and restrict the levels of THC to maybe 1 or 2% which is basically hemp but I do hope that you are right and I am wrong on this but we will have to wait and see what they come up with.I think that all MJ is medicinal but my reading is anything with higher THC levels is not considered medicinal but rather recreational MJ.

Plus I'm interested in growing hemp also but as I posted 6 hemp plants is going to be very profitable and why would they try and restrict growing hemp which would give us farmers another source of potential income?

I think 448glb raises an interesting point regarding medical MJ.Just what is medical MJ and how is it distinguished from recreational MJ?My guess is that growers will be issued with seed stock from the government which will have lower THC levels.Will breeding be prohibited?Will they issue feminised seed stock so that half of the plants my wife grows won't be males?What if my females get pollinated by some illegally grown plants nearby and I plant those seeds and they end up having to much THC?How will I know?How much effort are they going to put into enforcing the laws they bring out?Hopefully the same effort they put into enforcing traffic laws.

28 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I think 448glb raises an interesting point regarding medical MJ.Just what is medical MJ and how is it distinguished from recreational MJ?My guess is that growers will be issued with seed stock from the government which will have lower THC levels.Will breeding be prohibited?Will they issue feminised seed stock so that half of the plants my wife grows won't be males?What if my females get pollinated by some illegally grown plants nearby and I plant those seeds and they end up having to much THC?How will I know?How much effort are they going to put into enforcing the laws they bring out?Hopefully the same effort they put into enforcing traffic laws.

Once the cat is out of the bag it will be unenforceable. The only way would be ADN test to check only permitted strain are grown but it would be cost prohibitive. 

3 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Once the cat is out of the bag it will be unenforceable. The only way would be ADN test to check only permitted strain are grown but it would be cost prohibitive. 

I have about fourteen cats so I think it's going to be like herding cats!

Although I am all for it, the reality is that the majority of medical marijuana "patients" are simply users. Thailand needs to accept that the decriminalization of marijuana use is next.

I prefer an environment of happy stoners to one of belligerent drunks.

9 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Although I am all for it, the reality is that the majority of medical marijuana "patients" are simply users. Thailand needs to accept that the decriminalization of marijuana use is next.

I prefer an environment of happy stoners to one of belligerent drunks.

As the article says whilst the current administration are in power recreational use not be accepted.What I find interesting is this trying to separate medicinal from recreational and as the higher THC levels produces calming and euphoric effects that most rec users will testify makes them feel relaxed and unwound just like a couple of beers,but unlike to many beers having to many joints or bongs has the opposite effect.  

36 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

As the article says whilst the current administration are in power recreational use not be accepted.What I find interesting is this trying to separate medicinal from recreational and as the higher THC levels produces calming and euphoric effects that most rec users will testify makes them feel relaxed and unwound just like a couple of beers,but unlike to many beers having to many joints or bongs has the opposite effect.  

Keeping it at 1% THC ignore too many variables. It's too complex for most legislator to understand.

Archived