More <deleted> visa problems!!!!

I am 63, from London, UK and married to a Thai lady and have lived in Khon Kaen for nearly 2 years with an O-A visa which expires on 30/12/219. I want to avoid buying Thai health insurance, needed for a further O-A renewal, due to a health issue, believing it is a complete waste of money and would offer no additional benefit than simple travel insurance for me. So, some time ago, I decided I would switch to a married visa for the next renewal.

Last year’s O-A renewal was approved because I showed a letter from UK Embassy Bangkok verifying my income but the service has discontinued, apparently, and Thailand Immigration only appears to accept foreign transfers to a non-joint, Thai bank account. I opened a single name Thai bank account in April 2019 and began transferring funds from UK there before transferring to joint accounts to be used. Today Thai IO said the bank statement fails for 2 reasons (a) Although 700,000 Baht transferred in 8 months, there is 1 month where less than 40,000 Baht was transferred (b) There must be 12 consecutive calendar months of 40,000 or greater shown. AAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

Possible Solutions (I already travel to London about every 3 months)

1.    I am already travelling to London soon and returning 8 December with 3 weeks remaining on my visa. If I get a new UK passport in London & return as a tourist, could I extend the 30 days to 90 then go back to London and return as a tourist again? After that, I will have a perfect bank statement for a marriage visa!
2.    Pay 20,000 Baht under the table money for a firm to get my marriage visa, like my mate has done twice already.
3.    Return on 8 December with original passport & try to persuade the IO at the airport that I need longer than 3 weeks at this very busy time of year so please apply a renewable tourist visa to my passport. (I have 5 hours to kill before my ongoing flight to KK!)

I would welcome any feedback, suggestions or criticism on this.

Many thanks

If you read all the other posts in the last few months it will tell you what you want. 

Just go to another Asia country and get 1 year multi non o visa as you have a thailand wife, 

Good luck. Ps any problems contact udonJoe. 

• Like 1

get a multiple entry non-o from savanakhet in laos, its only 200km from khon kaen and you don't need to show any money in a bank. lots of threads in this section describing how to do. you can extend it next year or after 90 days if you wish once you have 12 months of 40K transfers or 400K in the bank. no insurance requirements

• Like 2

1.    I am already travelling to London soon and returning 8 December with 3 weeks remaining on my visa. If I get a new UK passport in London & return as a tourist, could I extend the 30 days to 90 then go back to London and return as a tourist again? After that, I will have a perfect bank statement for a marriage visa!
2.    Pay 20,000 Baht under the table money for a firm to get my marriage visa, like my mate has done twice already.
3.    Return on 8 December with original passport & try to persuade the IO at the airport that I need longer than 3 weeks at this very busy time of year so please apply a renewable tourist visa to my passport. (I have 5 hours to kill before my ongoing flight to KK!)

I would welcome any feedback, suggestions or criticism on this.

Criticism? Don't go around doing dodgy sh^t by illegal bribing with the 20k baht you suggested in point number two which your mate has done. Do things the legal & correct way.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Does everyone have to leave country to get an O Visa. I have an OA Visa but they declined me BKK when I arrived on 7 Nov, even though my OA Visa was approved in the states on 6 SEP. They said I need insurance even though US Thai Consulate in DC approved me on 6 Sep before the 31 OCT reqirement. So, know stuck with a 30 day transit visa in thailand. They keep telling me to go get an O Visa since I am married to thai. 

So what is your experience? Do I need to leave Thailand to get an O Visa? I was thinking about Malyasia.

Trying to change from an O-A to entering on either a Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt is fraught with danger in the current climate.

I was politely advised by the Immigration Officer that my future entries should be on the appropriate visa for my situation and not come to visit my wife on Tourist Visas, luckily I had a Non O single entry this time.

She said I may have been refused if I had a TR Visa, so I guess the same goes for a Visa Exempt entry which is essentially granted for tourism purposes.

Get a Non O when in the UK to ensure they let you in and then assess your next move.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Travelerusa40 said:

So, know stuck with a 30 day transit visa in thailand.

Get the 30 day stamp changed at the airport where you entered the country.

They have dropped the requirement for OA visas issued before  October 31st.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, kelboy said:

If you read all the other posts in the last few months it will tell you what you want. 

Just go to another Asia country and get 1 year multi non o visa as you have a thailand wife, 

Good luck. Ps any problems contact udonJoe. 

But this will require health policy, something I already said I will not do!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Get the 30 day stamp changed at the airport where you entered the country.

They have dropped the requirement for OA visas issued before  October 31st.

1. Joe are you saying those who arrived on an OA visa purchased prior to October 31st, Immigration has said they have dropped the requirement for Ins despite arriving after the 31st Oct?

2. What about those extending with a previously obtained OA (usually years before) and who are now extending for the purpose of retirement or marriage, have they dropped the insurance requirements for these as well?

Edited by Expattaff1308

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Criticism? Don't go around doing dodgy sh^t by illegal bribing with the 20k baht you suggested in point number two which your mate has done. Do things the legal & correct way.

But thats the way immigration want it 

I thoroughly recommend it........hassle free and money safely tucked away somewhere safe

I'm in agreement with others on this @skint UK that a multi entry non imm visa based on marriage from Savannakhet in Laos is your best way out of your current dilemma. There are no financial requirements and no medical insurance needed.

And here is a link to someone who did it recently who I'm sure would be happy to advice you. Good luck in your endeavor.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thanks 1