Compassion and Understanding

Bill97

Ran into a guy I had not seen for 3-4 years.  He was unusual when I knew him before but now had real difficulty putting pieces together. Among other things it made me wonder how many posters on this forum were in similar situations, age related mental decline due to early/mid? stage illness.

Would help explain the high levels of mis-information and confusion encountered not infrequently.

Or is it alcohol and drugs?

With metta.

On 11/14/2019 at 5:05 PM, Orton Rd said:

So where does the compassion and understanding come into it?

Understanding whether it is old age disease, substance abuse or just an <deleted> hole or other cause would for many determine the level of compassion one felt or offered in response.  Example most would have some compassion for one suffering an illness.  Less so for an <deleted>.

On 11/14/2019 at 9:50 AM, Bill97 said:

Or is it alcohol and drugs?

Air pollution has a neurological impact. A series of minor strokes can go unnoticed but cause a significant reduction in cognitive ability. The other impacts of prolonged exposure to high levels of air pollution, including a decline in lung and heart efficiency, can also have a knock-on affect on mental ability. 

Some guys who have been in Chiang Mai for many years no longer have enough money to get out during the burning season. Sadly, these are also the guys least likely to have good health insurance.

On 11/16/2019 at 12:24 AM, donnacha said:

Air pollution has a neurological impact. A series of minor strokes can go unnoticed but cause a significant reduction in cognitive ability. The other impacts of prolonged exposure to high levels of air pollution, including a decline in lung and heart efficiency, can also have a knock-on affect on mental ability. 

Some guys who have been in Chiang Mai for many years no longer have enough money to get out during the burning season. Sadly, these are also the guys least likely to have good health insurance.

I wish more people could see this post. You’re spot on and too many blow off air pollution with an argument about automobile pollution or cigarettes. The air in North Thailand  is toxic and unhealthy most of the year. 

4 minutes ago, dcnx said:

I wish more people could see this post. You’re spot on and too many blow off air pollution with an argument about automobile pollution or cigarettes. The air in North Thailand  is toxic and unhealthy most of the year. 

You have to admit years of substance abuse cigarettes, wine beer and spirits, can have a rather significant impact on ones health, perhaps those types should not choose to live in city where carbon monoxide as part of their daily intake also adds complications.

In your view I guess those of us who live outside northern Thailand are free of such worry, so thank you for your encouraging words. I am pleased I will remember them for a long time.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:24 PM, donnacha said:

I suspect they lacked acuity of thought if they chose  CM in the first place.

19 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

For some people maybe.

Tell it to my MIL. Been here 85 years. Still healthy

Yeah in London loads of yuppies and mils have moved into poor suburbs driving out the locals and now moaning about 'pollution' and 'air quality'. Never bothered people before but generation pantywaist are just soft moaners cos its an eco issue they think they have the right to tell people what to but they still drink, vape and spoke dope which is bad  for their health.

34 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

For some people maybe.

Tell it to my MIL. Been here 85 years. Still healthy

I have never seen a Thai person complain about health. My ex wife best friend died of bone cancer at 30 and her biggest problem was not to be a burden to her family. 

8 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I suspect they lacked acuity of thought if they chose  CM in the first place.

A lot of them were here long before pollution became an issue, no problem with acuity of thought.  It is the more recent arrivals that cause wonder.

14 hours ago, dcnx said:

How many months is most of the year ? 

On 11/15/2019 at 8:50 PM, eyecatcher said:

she says I say things then deny I said them.

I mean come on, thats normal.

yeah, don't mean to be disrespectful, but it's really not normal... even not knowing that it is not normal is not normal... 

ps - if that doesn't make any sense to you - that is not normal either... 

16 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

yeah, don't mean to be disrespectful, but it's really not normal... even not knowing that it is not normal is not normal... 

ps - if that doesn't make any sense to you - that is not normal either... 

Hahaha, I remember writing that, I was lining up for agreat final one liner then got distracted with something.

My big finish was a bit of a flop.....sorry for wasting your reading time

On 11/15/2019 at 8:04 PM, Bill97 said:

Understanding whether it is old age disease, substance abuse or just an <deleted> hole or other cause would for many determine the level of compassion one felt or offered in response.  Example most would have some compassion for one suffering an illness.  Less so for an <deleted>.

What age is this person.

If someone is significantly fragmented in their speech or their ability to put thoughts together and if this is an obvious change from how they used to be, my money would be on dementia.

I first noticed it with my sister about 2 years before she was ‘diagnosed’.  She would pause in the middle of a sentence and it was obvious she had lost the train of thought. Then she would have trouble recalling words. We all have some trouble sometime with that issue but this was very noticeable. She continued to decline over the next 3-4 years and now she cannot make a sentence.

they used to be 

You could say understanding is a hammer: you could build a house with it, invite your neighbors over; offer shelter to someone in distress ... or, you could use the hammer to bludgeon anyone that got in your way.

But, compassion ?  Is that an acute empathic fellow-feeling that spontaneously arises in the heart as you sense, and feel, the suffering of others ? Is it a diffuse sense of connectedness that, perhaps, leads to unselfish behavior, to small acts of kindness ? Is it a resonance in mind and heart as you see, in another's life, the great issues of living and coping you face as you move through the mystery of life ? Is it perception and response, or, is it an empty charade without action ?

Is compassion appropriate, useful, when you see someone behaving self-destructively, or, wasting their human potential ?

I'm afraid I'm too selfish to try and say more than this ... the mirror is not too kind to me these days, even though I suspect it is trying to teach me something deep. I sometimes imagine it speaks to me, and, somehow, is asking a question like: "why don't you live by what you know ?"

~o:37;

p.s. in English ,,, we have this feral onomatopoeic word from German, schadenfreude, for describing a person who gets pleasure from seeing others suffer; it occurs to me there is no corresponding meme of "equal cultural potency" for describing a spontaneous sense of joy in the happiness and achievements of other ... for what it's worth: I believe the Buddhist concept of karuna ("loving kindness" ?) does express this ...  I welcome any correction to this interpretation.

On 11/21/2019 at 12:25 PM, Samuel Smith said:

November through May is 7 months when AQI is mostly orange or worse.  Up to you if you want to set p1$$ poor standards!

523042592_SaraphiAQI.jpg.5aa67f5094d27a9840dcabacea5d13ee.jpg

Well you only have 3 days in Nov 2018 so it's not really 7 months is it ?  and you didn't answer my question, do you live in CM ?

On 11/15/2019 at 8:50 PM, eyecatcher said:

Sounds like you are making excuses for us all being grumpy and cantankerous.

wife is always threatening to record me as she says I say things then deny I said them.

I mean come on, thats normal.

I want to record my wife,as a few hours after i said something to her,

about doing something,or just general talk, she will say i never said

that, BUT she can remember when I did something naughty 20 odd years

ago. you just cannot win.

regards worgeordie

On 11/19/2019 at 2:32 AM, 473geo said:

I see Bangkok air quality today is poor. I wonder if the movement of traffic contributes to the kicking up of particles continually recycling them until a good breeze removes them?

The AQI in Bangkok is 46 in my area... not too bad - but its high in Din Daeng at 102.

Its 39 in Singapore, 69 in Dubai, 61 in Sydney (ranging up 125 in areas)

UK is ranging from numbers such as 25 in London to 72 in Middlesborough, Manchester is 42.

489073393_ScreenShot2019-11-22at17_18_20.thumb.png.53d70f701960a89d7138cad919d09aa7.png

41 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Well you only have 3 days in Nov 2018 so it's not really 7 months is it ?  and you didn't answer my question, do you live in CM ?

Also looks like by using Sarapee Hospital as a location your figs (perhaps them figs suit your argument better) are somewhat different to Chiang Mai as a location.

http://aqicn.org/city/chiang-mai/

Archived