Motorbike transfer

Grt71

Hello all,,,,I have just bought a second hand motorbike,I need to change it into my name and since the bike was Registered in Bangkok I understand I need to change the reg plates as I stay in Pattaya,,,,I don't want to use an agent so does anyone have knowledge on doing this,,,,thank you

1 hour ago, Grt71 said:

The seller is Thai,,,,I have all the required documents and all signed,,,,what is the cost of doing this without using an agent ?

You have read all the Thai language documents and verified they are in order?

papa will pray for you.

5 hours ago, Grt71 said:

The seller is Thai,,,,I have all the required documents and all signed,,,,what is the cost of doing this without using an agent ?

You have to get a Certificate of Residence from immigration (in case you have a yellow house book or a work permit you can use this) to confirm your address.

Take the CoR, copies of your passport, the documents from the seller (complete your part on the transfer ownership form), green book and the motorbike to your local DLT.

Changing the province and changing the name or two steps, so you have to go to the DLT twice, they will tell you to come back after a few days.

IIRC the cost to change the name is 105 THB + 0.5% of the motorbike's value.

Changing the province costs a few baht for stamps and something for the new license plate, can't remember how much exactly, maybe 200 THB.

Edited by jackdd

On 11/15/2019 at 1:06 PM, jackdd said:

You have to get a Certificate of Residence from immigration (in case you have a yellow house book or a work permit you can use this) to confirm your address.

Take the CoR, copies of your passport, the documents from the seller (complete your part on the transfer ownership form), green book and the motorbike to your local DLT.

Changing the province and changing the name or two steps, so you have to go to the DLT twice, they will tell you to come back after a few days.

Changing the province costs a few baht for stamps and something for the new license plate, can't remember how much exactly, maybe 200 THB.

wrong info....because he is buying out of region - the local DLT at Regents school wont do it - he has to go to the regional one at Chonburi - which is a about 1h 15m from pattaya and will have to go there at least twice .

I’m just in the middle off getting two bikes transferred to my name ,plate change and one needs a colour change aswell,have owned these bikes two years already,cause I waited so long to do the change one piece of paperwork had expired and I didn’t even know the colour was wrong in one of the books all a bit of a headache really ,,,I decided just pay an agent to sort them both out for me ..cost 4000 bht...a little high but not to unreasonable and ok to save me time and hassle of sitting around in dlt for hours and probably 3 visits needed.

• Like 1

My CRF was Phayao registered, I wanted to transfer it to a Thai friend in case I did not return and needed him to sell it. Simply went to Chiang Mai Reg office with my signed permission form and VALID VISA, he with his house book, and they did it for around 500Bht. The visa was the reason for transfer as if I wasn't there with one it couldn't be transferred, another crazy Thai rule, just about every other country requires and encourages the new owner to have their name on the documents!

On 11/17/2019 at 8:27 AM, taninthai said:

I’m just in the middle off getting two bikes transferred to my name ,plate change and one needs a colour change aswell,have owned these bikes two years already,cause I waited so long to do the change one piece of paperwork had expired and I didn’t even know the colour was wrong in one of the books all a bit of a headache really ,,,I decided just pay an agent to sort them both out for me ..cost 4000 bht...a little high but not to unreasonable and ok to save me time and hassle of sitting around in dlt for hours and probably 3 visits needed.

That's really cheap, mate. 

• 11 months later...
On 11/15/2019 at 1:06 PM, jackdd said:

The steps you referred to above, what exactly are they please?  Is it changing the province first with the current owner and then 2) changing the name to the new owner or the other way around?  Seems a bit inconvenient having to go back twice, I wonder why that is?  

The reason I'm asking is that I saw a bike that is registered in BKK but I'm located in CM.

On 11/21/2019 at 2:18 PM, Gnasher328 said:

My CRF was Phayao registered, I wanted to transfer it to a Thai friend in case I did not return and needed him to sell it. Simply went to Chiang Mai Reg office with my signed permission form and VALID VISA, he with his house book, and they did it for around 500Bht. The visa was the reason for transfer as if I wasn't there with one it couldn't be transferred, another crazy Thai rule, just about every other country requires and encourages the new owner to have their name on the documents!

I will be doing the reverse of you I will see how it goes.  I don't consider any of the rules crazy. Cumbersome  and inconvenient maybe but...

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, stament said:

The steps you referred to above, what exactly are they please?  Is it changing the province first with the current owner and then 2) changing the name to the new owner or the other way around?  Seems a bit inconvenient having to go back twice, I wonder why that is?  

That's just how the DLT works. I suspect that some documents are kept at the DLT in paper form. So when you go to change it your local DLT requests these documents from the DLT in the registered province, and once they have these documents they can change the province and the owner.

The seller can give you a power of attorney to do it (usually it's done this way), then the seller doesn't have to go to the DLT.

Edited by jackdd
  • Thanks 1