Cooking Chicken Breast

theonetrueaussie

I have travelled all over the world and never had any trouble cooking chicken breast till I came here and even then it was fine till about 6 months ago. I buy my chicken from central festival shopping center and for the life of me no matter How I cook it, in the frying pan, oven it always comes out hard and chewy. I have bought both the s-pure and the normal chicken and have problems with both....Anyone having the same problem and any solutions??

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, theonetrueaussie said:

I have bought both the s-pure and the normal chicken and have problems with both....Anyone having the same problem and any solutions?

Glad someone else is having this problem, something they are feeding to the chickens? - plastic?? - solution - give up on quick cooking chicken - I slow cook it now.

• Like 1

The chicken breasts here never seem to come out as well as in my home country. So no wonder they all choose the legs and thighs. I pound them flat and cook in breadcrumbs to make schnitzel, can't tell that the meat is poor quality then.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Firstly, if the chicken breast is frozen you need to take it out a day in advance to let it thaw slowly in the fridge. If you thaw it too quickly it will be tough.  Secondly, try marinating it overnight in milk or mimic buttermilk by adding a tiny bit of lemon juice or vinegar to the milk.    Don't overcook it and keep moisture in by using a lid or baking with foil over the top.  

• Like 1

Some good suggestions here already...if you boil your chicken in water, and it is still tough...do not purchase anymore from that place...they may be using chickens from an egg production farm...once the chickens are too old to produce eggs anymore...they may be passing them on to be slaughtered for food...meat will be tough and chewy...

I have bought my cooking chickens from Big-C and Makro without any problem...????

• Like 1

skin it, marinade in olive oil, sesame oil, black pepper, Maggi seasoning, soya sauce and lea and Perrin sauce, garlic powder. swish it all around so all of the chicken is covered then place in the fridge for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight, then to cook, place in an oven at 200 degrees, in the marinade.  Maybe add a little more olive oil.  Cook for one hour for breast or legs, one hour 30 for a whole chicken.  I love it done this way. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

Yes I have seen a change in chicken breasts,use to buy a 2 Kg block ,frozen

at Makro and just chop off what I needed,I have not bought any for over 

year,as something changed, it was very tough and rubbery,i usually just use

it cut in strips or pieces in currys,stir frys etc, so i changed to chicken

fillets, but even buying a couple of breasts of unfrozen ones ,there is

definitely a change in the texture,probably growing them on too quickly,

regards worgeordie

This method works perfectly.

Ingredients

• 4 x 150g skinless boneless chicken breasts, preferably free-range for quality and taste
  • 250 ml buttermilk
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 120 g panko breadcrumbs

Method

1. Put a sheet of plastic wrap or baking paper over the chicken breasts and press down firmly with the palm of your hand (or smack them with your fist) to slightly flatten each chicken breast to make them the same thickness from end to end. Place them in a bowl, pour over the buttermilk and a pinch of sea salt, crush in the garlic, then toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
  2. When the time’s up, sprinkle the breadcrumbs on to a tray. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk, shake off the excess, then turn in the breadcrumbs, pressing down to make them stick and flatten them a little more. Keep in the fridge until you’re ready to cook.
  3. Fry in a large frying pan on a medium low heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil 4 to 7 minutes on each side or until the side is nicely browned.  The frying time depends on how hot your frying pan is.

Notes:

Panko Breadcrumbs:  Panko Breadcrumbs are Japanese style breadcrumbs made with crust free bread.  If desired use dried bread with the crust to make your breadcrumbs.

Buttermilk:  Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a cup of milk and let it stand for 5 minutes to make a substitute for buttermilk.

We stopped buying the chicken breasts from Tesco's as they came out a bit tough, we buy local free range chicken now which is tastier and there is a lot of fat left in the baking tray as compared to the Tesco's chicken plus considerably cheaper. I use the BBC good food meat cooking timer which recommends cooking chicken breast for about 20mins at 180C in a fan oven and they come out perfectly cooked all the way through although if you like the skin crispy they will have to be cooked longer.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/roast-timer

55 minutes ago, legend49 said:

Water interesting. KFC uses fat.

Well it's salted water, or brine as they call it. Google 'why do they brine poultry' and you will see this :

The verb “brine” means to treat with or steep in brine. The salt has two effects on poultry: “It dissolves protein in muscle, and the salt and protein reduce moisture loss during cooking. This makes the meat juicer, more tender, and improves the flavor.

There you have it - no brine = dry chicken.

• Like 2

I buy my chicken, fresh at BIg C, I have never had a problem.

I give the breast a light bashing, then marinate in Olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper then fry it, always great.

If you want you can buy some Meat Tenderiser powder and mix in the marinade, even more tender (If possible!)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kingdong said:

I live in UK but bring over a small George foreman grill,

i do 2 medium chicken breasts in ten minutes

that's a sure way to end up with a slice of rubber, instead of nicely seasoned and tender chicken.  Sorry, but those grills are for the lazy cook not the cook who wants the best end result.  I see that after the initial splurge, sales of them fell away to near zero.  No surprise really. A poor man's BBQ process. 

• Like 1