Malyasia Penang Thai Consulate O Visa Marriage

Does anyone know the turn around time for an O Visa in Penang. They don't seem to respond by email or phone. I am in Thailand an want to change my OA Visa to an O Visa Marriage. I was told I have to leave country and I will fly out of bangkok to Penang, Malaysia.  I also read the requirements on their web sites put if anyone knows of any surpises I need to know about please advise. 

Interestingly, I have a friend who just obtained his non-imm O marriage single entry in Honolulu and the requirements were quite different. He was required to show US$700 in a bank account and no proof of income. They also required a R/T air ticket receipt and a copy of his wife’s passport.

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

Not 100% sure but I heard that if it's your first time in Penang they will only issue a single entry and then after 90 days you go back with proof of 400,000 or income proof and they will issue a one yesr multi.

Willing to be corrected.

I got a multiple entry non-o based on marriage first time. 

16 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

I got a multiple entry non-o based on marriage first time. 

I was there last month and got a multiple entry non-o my first time to Penang, the guy didn't even check the paperwork just quickly flicked through it and asked for the 750 ringgits. We went by train quite enjoyed the trip.

Edited by phuket Mike
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, overherebc said:

Not 100% sure but I heard that if it's your first time in Penang they will only issue a single entry and then after 90 days you go back with proof of 400,000 or income proof and they will issue a one yesr multi.

Willing to be corrected.

I think what you are remembering is their policy on a Non O to visit your Thai child. Penang is the only consulate in the region who will consider the multiple Non O for this purpose if you are not a resident of the country where you are applying. However, they will generally only issue a single entry if it is your first.

• Thanks 1

I have a related question. Once you get the O visa and reenter Thailand, can you goo to your local immigration office and get a "marriage" extention of stay for one year. Is it then renewable every year.? Since it is non O is insurance required?

9 hours ago, mhortig said:

I have a related question. Once you get the O visa and reenter Thailand, can you goo to your local immigration office and get a "marriage" extention of stay for one year. Is it then renewable every year.? Since it is non O is insurance required?

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage and you can apply for another one every year after that. No insurance is required.