Shakedown Street...

moontang

aka Sukhumvit Road.  I posted lasted week about feeling uneasy about walking around Silom, and was roasted, if not simply ridiculed, which I couldn't care less about.  Hopefully, some of our fellow expats actually know how to work as a team and give some free tips that might save a boat load of trouble.  Read in the local paper's comment section, that a guy stated this morning around 1am on Sukhumvit, all foreigners were stopped, including quite a few pulled out of sacred taxi cabs and made to produce original passports.  Those without them were fined 5000 THB, and sent on their way.  Not a first hand report, but certainly smoke and fire.  Anyone else out there late last night? 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

If they didn´t conficate the phones too, in this probably not true story, I guess it´s just to call the hotline then, and refuse to pay.

A simple <deleted> test and you might be on your way... to jail, of course. 

- Its never happened to me... can't be true

- It must be how they are dressed

- It must be how they are behaving

- It must be in the area they are in

etc etc...  All the usually BS excuses for some reading attempting to excuse the obvious shakedown. 

There have been numerous threads on this topic, many include direct quotes from newspapers and media sources quoting Chief of Police etc who've announced that we don't need to carry our passports, just a copy. 

It would be nice to draw a line under this issue... Personally, I carry my phone which has a photo of my Passport, latest TM6 and entry stamp. 

I've actually been subject to this shakedown on Asoke a number of years back as a passenger in a taxi at about 7pm. I was asked for my passport, showed my Thai Driving License through the window. I was asked to get out, I refused - I ended up calling a friend (RTP) to tell them back off. 

The shakedowns are a real thing, they happen, they are illegal. 

Only a Commissioned officer and above or an Immigration NCO and above can ask for your passport (immigration status). 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

etc etc...  All the usually BS excuses for some reading attempting to excuse the obvious shakedown.

Or some BS anecdote to justify one's opinion. 

Who is to say who's BS is better ,yours or mine? certainly not you or me. Only the evidence, and at this point all you guys got is a story. 

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Or some BS anecdote to justify one's opinion. 

Who is to say who's BS is better ,yours or mine? certainly not you or me. Only the evidence, and at this point all you guys got is a story. 

countless stories would be more accurate.

1 minute ago, moontang said:

countless stories would be more accurate.

Stories is the operative word here. I agree with you, "where there's smoke there's fire" and there is fire. Thirteen years in Thailand I was polled over once, about seven years ago and paid 200 bht to the cop, I am sure it ended up in his pocket, or at least some of it. But I was speeding and I was glad to pay the $9 usd than the $180 I would had paid back home , and the increase in my insurance premium.

I know I am going to get a lot of flack over this, but personally, I like a litle corruption, especially when I am the one doing the corrupting LOL 

To reform wishing farang's I say the following. "Watch what you wish for, you just might get it"  someday they might not issue BS income certificates, why they might even require medical insurance. It could happen. 

Yeah, or all the guys that despise the people drinking at momandpop will be get their way, and it will turn into KL or Sing... already happening.  I agree, being able to grease the wheels a bit is fine, but this is extortion, just like the beer prices at Holiday Inn.. 5000, not 200..and they weren't doing anything. 

I doubt you have ever been to Mexico... people fear the cops more than the murdering cartels, but people love to tell about getting let off of a traffic offense for a US 20.

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Life must be an absolute blast !!!!

What does a person's sleep/wake times have to do with having a blast? Different people enjoy different things. Is it not possible for people who are early to bed/early to rise to have a blast in their own way? Or is drinking in the bars after midnight and staggering down the sidewalk the one and only way to have a blast?

Thankfully, there is a whole 24 hour economy here..kind of handy if you need to take a flight or have a medical emergency.  One of the worst things about living in the DC area, which is clearly one of the most affluent places on Earth, is there is a sad 8-5 mentality, and doing even the simplest of things in the wee hours draws suspicions from all the mid level managers at the Department of Bullcrap.  Hellish rush hours too, with no even dispersion of workers.

Just now, holy cow cm said:

So is it safe to say from Soi Cowboy going to Nana is safe walking ? I have a US guy coming in next week I will be showing around. And it will be a late night one. 

Generally, the trouble starts, when you cross the Asok intersection, but just going to Cowboy is ok....I would stay on the south side of the road, though walking between the two..the Africans tend to operate on the north side sois (odd numbers, close to soi Arab.  There is a police box on the end of soi 4, and It never has been a source of trouble...cigarette butt fines but that may be the BMA police...did hear of a checkpoint for cars getting off the expressway a time or two.  Thousands of uni girls around the various unis...pick your major, lol, if you like them young and legal...gogos are going to be tattooed up isaan girls..with a box car full of baggage, and some of the better looking ones dont even go with customers.

2 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Life must be an absolute blast !!!!

What does a person's sleep/wake times have to do with having a blast? Different people enjoy different things. Is it not possible for people who are early to bed/early to rise to have a blast in their own way? Or is drinking in the bars after midnight and staggering down the sidewalk the one and only way to have a blast?

The sort of person who thinks someone deserves a 5000 baht fine for not being asleep by 1am... 

....Don't forget your afternoon nap gramps... 

37 minutes ago, moontang said:

Generally, the trouble starts, when you cross the Asok intersection, but just going to Cowboy is ok....I would stay on the south side of the road, though walking between the two..the Africans tend to operate on the north side sois (odd numbers, close to soi Arab.  There is a police box on the end of soi 4, and It never has been a source of trouble...cigarette butt fines but that may be the BMA police...did hear of a checkpoint for cars getting off the expressway a time or two.  Thousands of uni girls around the various unis...pick your major, lol, if you like them young and legal...gogos are going to be tattooed up isaan girls..with a box car full of baggage, and some of the better looking ones dont even go with customers.

So if you say walk from Cowboy on the Robinsons side going past Thermae then on to Nana you will be ok.? That has always been traditionally ok as long as I have known. BTW. I know all about the Go Go scene, but what is your Uni girls at Unis statement all about? Is there some sort of street walking now for them?

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

So if you say walk from Cowboy on the Robinsons side going past Thermae then on to Nana you will be ok.? That has always been traditionally ok as long as I have known. BTW. I know all about the Go Go scene, but what is your Uni girls at Unis statement all about? Is there some sort of street walking now for them?

I just don't like the element, when there are so many better alternatives, pay or not.  And worst of all the drink prices suck, and the actual drinks are horrible.. like 30 ml is common here, and beer is high, but the entire ladydri k badgering is just stupid.  I am still willing to give directions.. Thermae is the north side and about where I would cross to the south side. 

9 minutes ago, moontang said:

I just don't like the element, when there are so many better alternatives, pay or not.  And worst of all the drink prices suck, and the actual drinks are horrible.. like 30 ml is common here, and beer is high, but the entire ladydri k badgering is just stupid.  I am still willing to give directions.. Thermae is the north side and about where I would cross to the south side. 

Yeah the Africans never bug me, but they are a presence. For the Go Go scene, it is only a must when people come into town and I am showing them around. It is expensive and I generally don't like forking out dough unnecessarily but it can be fun. But please excuse me for asking again as I was always tending to think that the police action was down by the Emporium. I have never seen a shake down between Soi Cowboy walking all the way down to Nana on the north side. Are you saying it happens right there? Or after crossing the intersection side of Soi 
Cowboy then going the other direction towards the Emporium? I actually take updates like this serious so to be on the look out. Although I never carry my passport. Don't believe in it.

On 11/14/2019 at 5:59 PM, richard_smith237 said:

There have been numerous threads on this topic, many include direct quotes from newspapers and media sources quoting Chief of Police etc who've announced that we don't need to carry our passports, just a copy. 

It would be nice to draw a line under this issue... Personally, I carry my phone which has a photo of my Passport, latest TM6 and entry stamp. 

I've actually been subject to this shakedown on Asoke a number of years back as a passenger in a taxi at about 7pm. I was asked for my passport, showed my Thai Driving License through the window. I was asked to get out, I refused - I ended up calling a friend (RTP) to tell them back off. 

The shakedowns are a real thing, they happen, they are illegal. 

Only a Commissioned officer and above or an Immigration NCO and above can ask for your passport (immigration status). 

How did you acquire a friend from the Royal Thai Police? Do you need to pay him a monthly bribe so he's available on call to tell other cops to back off or is it a free service?

18 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

So is it safe to say from Soi Cowboy going to Nana is safe walking ? I have a US guy coming in next week I will be showing around. And it will be a late night one. 

You won't be safe from the ladyboys on the street trying to grab your meat and two veg as you walk down the street.

17 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

No, the numerous ladyboys will try to grab your attention by grabbing your meat and two veg.

Mate of mine left a bar in soi 11 not long ago. Got approached by an African, told him he wasn't interested. 

At the end of the road he was stopped by the cops and told they had seen him doing a deal with the African. 

Long story short, it cost him 40,000 baht.

Don't even think about stopping and talking to people you don't know.

Archived