Shakedown Street...

moontang

Just now, Skallywag said:

But if "anything" can get stolen, I bet first thing they will steal is your cell phone.  

I have never been stopped to check either and no I do not always carry my passport. 

Could happen to anyone.  Yet to bribe police with 10K when a new passport is 3K seems stupid. 

Just carry it if going into "tourist" areas where you know police will be on the look out

Sure, to this topic you could be right. 

I was taking it from a 'daily life' kind of way ... 

... not so much worried about a stolen passport, more about losing it. 

You know, sometimes I can't trust myself and the things I do or end up ????

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

But if "anything" can get stolen, I bet first thing they will steal is your cell phone

Skallywag, this goes a bit off-topic now, but nonetheless, I once left my phone on a table somewhere and forgot about it, and lost it. 

In the midst of a Pattaya night out session.

They guy who found it, kept it online on the power plug, to watch out for incoming calls ... which was one of mine later trying to relocate my phone.

He kept my phone, I met him and picked it up a day later in Laem Chabang ... a Thai guy ... really really nice!

A second time, I left my phone behind in a Taxi. I could relocate it later via Apple search my device ... got it back again!

For that very reason, I would never keep my passport with me when going out, I can't be that lucky all of the time ????

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I dare say you have more to worry about from dips, ladyboys and your fellow drunks.

just curious when you have to pay the cops the shakedown bribe, is it okay to get a receipt? I mean when they ask you for your passport and say you don't have it, so then they tell you to pay him five thousand  can you just like smile and say okay dude,  can have a receipt so that I can show my old lady I gave the money to you instead of to some pocket picking boobcarrier in a g-string at Baccara? and if he doesn't offer a receipt, can you have him take you to the station to get one. After all, 5,000 baht is nothing to us boys, but my old lady, she'll beat me with a stick. 

Well at that point it will be hell to tell the Mrs. and I would opt to have them take me to the police station to sort it out but they would be told in their own language. If buzzed enough I might rip them a second A- hole if they don't want to give me receipt.

4 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

These shake downs are seasonal sometimes. Christmas is coming up the cops and their families beed money You get the same fund raising shakedowns before ramadan in muslim countries. A pal of mine was dragged out of a taxi years ago on Silom. The cops found 20 Es. He had to pay 20k, surrender the pills and his girlfriend,  a thai pretty, had to give the cops her number so they could contact her for future use.

So believable. The gal I heard of became the set up queen for all sorts of males foreign and Thai alike. Like an Asp just waiting to strike.

3 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

It is not safe if you are carrying anything. You should have a good copy of your passport. My copy is laminated to ID card size. You should carry sufficient bribe money at least 10k. I stopped doing the Nana to Soi Cowboy walk years ago when they started the urine tests AND when they cleared away all the hawkers, traders, food stalls etc. In the immediate aftermath of the social cleaning of this part of lower Suk it was easy to spot plain clothes police every 15 feet. They radio ahead to uniformed police to extort you. Since the coup the police are more hungry, the army more greedy and corruption has increased massively. I avoid Bangkok now. The prescription medicine I use for pain control registers a false positive opiate and can lead to a lot of trouble.

Now this tells me the real section. Exactly where I was thinking. I always keep a PP picture on my phone. I wear shorts when out and the passport is a nuisance and would have tendency to get lost so I am just not going to take it. they want to go back to my hotel and let me retrieve it then fine. . As fort hem targeting me, I always look sort of respectable and am mid fifties so don't think they would tend to hit on me.

42 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

As fort hem targeting me, I always look sort of respectable and am mid fifties so don't think they would tend to hit on me.

That's the ticket dude,the innocuous look. my dress and demeanor scream stupid clueless old man tourist. I am totally uninteresting to folks except as the butt of jokes.

Meanwhile you could use my pee to dye an Imperial toga. I'm soooooooo UTR.

4 hours ago, RedPill said:

A second time, I left my phone behind in a Taxi. I could relocate it later via Apple search my device ... got it back again!

For that very reason, I would never keep my passport with me when going out, I can't be that lucky all of the time ????

True - has happened to me, left my phone, but got it back from Thai restaurant.

But phone is constantly out and in use.  Passport stays in zippered pocket. 

Just saying if you venture out in areas such as the Silom-Patpong area, much more likely to expect the "Shakedown" as OP suggests.  

On 11/14/2019 at 6:18 PM, moontang said:
On 11/14/2019 at 6:07 PM, sirineou said:

Or some BS anecdote to justify one's opinion. 

Who is to say who's BS is better ,yours or mine? certainly not you or me. Only the evidence, and at this point all you guys got is a story. 

countless stories would be more accurate.

No, the stories are not "countless", there have been, maybe two or three first-hand stories recently, that's all.

12 hours ago, berybert said:

Mate of mine left a bar in soi 11 not long ago. Got approached by an African, told him he wasn't interested. 

At the end of the road he was stopped by the cops and told they had seen him doing a deal with the African. 

Long story short, it cost him 40,000 baht.

Yeah, right.

7 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The filth always have drop down drugs to plant.

You heard that in a Pattaya beer bar right? 

In 20 years I’ve never heard first hand of such a tale, there have been a few ‘friend of a friend’ stories. 

If the BiB were planting drugs on foreigners it world becomes very wide spread news already (I’ve been here over 20years, it’s not).

That said shakedowns used to be fairly common, but for a pee test or a passport check - they’re less common these days (Asoke area) but still happen. 

Bur drug planting? No, that just a silly myth. 

11 hours ago, berybert said:
11 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

so what happened when he turned out his pockets and showed the cops he had nothing?

I wasn't there so am not 100% sure what went on.

Well, there's a surprise, another secondhand, hearsay story, that is unlikely in the extreme, which the story teller soon backs-off from!

Its the midnight express syndrome and CM was famous 30 years ago for dealers,  often Tuk Tuk drivers working with the police. Never buy off Thais, Nigerians or Arabs..

"Never buy off Thais, Nigerians or Arabs.."

Obviously you have the experience, otherwise you wouldn't have made that comment, so who would you recommend that drugs are bought from?

On 11/16/2019 at 3:11 PM, holy cow cm said:

So is it safe to say from Soi Cowboy going to Nana is safe walking ? I have a US guy coming in next week I will be showing around. And it will be a late night one. 

It is not safe if you are carrying anything. You should have a good copy of your passport. My copy is laminated to ID card size. You should carry sufficient bribe money at least 10k...

...it was easy to spot plain clothes police every 15 feet. They radio ahead to uniformed police to extort you.

Nonsense, absolute nonsense.  That is not normal in the area that you describe.

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Nonsense, absolute nonsense.  That is not normal in the area that you describe.

All I can do is keep an eye out. What I do know is the black folk do try to get eye contact with you to open up a conversation, and there could be something to that. But I will not stop walking that Nana to Cowboy stretch when out and about as I quite like to walk and see all the weirdness going on. Been doing it for over 25 years plus so no reason to crawl into a scared shell now.

6 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Well, there's a surprise, another secondhand, hearsay story, that is unlikely in the extreme, which the story teller soon backs-off from!

Sorry I didn't bother to reply to your first reply. Looks like it has shaken you up a bit so you have had to comment on every other one,

Hope you are feeling better now.

36 minutes ago, berybert said:

Sorry I didn't bother to reply to your first reply. Looks like it has shaken you up a bit so you have had to comment on every other one,

Hope you are feeling better now.

No, you didn't shake me up at all but I think you'll find that we're allowed to respond to any comments we see fit.  Frankly, based on your earlier tale, I'm happy that you didn't respond!

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No, you didn't shake me up at all but I think you'll find that we're allowed to respond to any comments we see fit.  Frankly, based on your earlier tale, I'm happy that you didn't respond!

You as some one who is asking people who they should be buying drugs off, I wish I hadn't either. 

3 minutes ago, berybert said:

You as some one who is asking people who they should be buying drugs off, I wish I hadn't either. 

You, as someone who couldn't understand a simple rhetorical question, or, more likely, someone who chooses to misinterpret it deliberately obtusely is someone I shouldn't have bothered with either!   But, there you go, it's a public forum, so, hey, ho.

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Aint the guys that try to make eye contact ????

If the black gal is good looking enough I am loving life. Not the dudes.  the black dudes are nothing but bad news unless you can get away with getting something from them and having an adulterated night what you got from them. Never done it though. easier and safer from other places if you want and have been here for sometime. . 

14 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Are the Albanians safe?

If you don't mind losing an organ or too, sure.

I exaggerate of course (but their criminal elements are notorious for that kind of <deleted> and other disgusting crime), but generally speaking if you put them in a list with the 3 others mentioned, I would trust them the least. Worst people in Europe (not ocunting Roma as they are not really native to here), in my opinion.

Not quite the same but this is not a hearsay story. A few years ago I was in a club near Bed Supperclub, can't remember the name, when the police arrived. All foreigners were asked to show their passports and Thai's asked to produce their ID's. Those who couldn't were arrested and carted off to the police station - Lumpini I think, until someone brought their passports to them. Mine is with me at all times so I was lucky but I saw about 15 western guys taken out before I left. I think the Thai's without ID's were given on the spot fines as I don't remember seeing any of them in the wire mesh paddy wagon outside.

A story went around afterwards that the club's owner's were involved in some sort of dispute with the police over 'compensation and licensing' - obviously nothing concrete on that.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

A few years ago I was in a club near Bed Supperclub, can't remember the name, when the police arrived.

A few years ago indeed, time flies when you're having fun, been what, 6 years since Bed Supper closed?

Club in question above, Q Bar by any chance?

Archived