BANGKOK
moontang

Shakedown Street...

Cops planting drugs in a car, filmed on video, 25 minutes old on Khaosod News: 

Not recent enough right? gtfo.

3 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Cops planting drugs in a car, filmed on video, 25 minutes old on Khaosod News: 

Not recent enough right? gtfo.

Quite damning...  looks like a bus or a lorry driver. Not targeting 'Westerners'... 

No one has denied bent Police Officers exist - my main point has been that the 'shake-down' is not occurring with sufficient frequency to be of great concern to us. 

The frequency of 'shake-downs' against foreigners along Sukhumvit road in Bangkok has diminished significantly from 5 years ago. 

Posting evidence that these issues continue provides good information that we still have to be careful, but it does not show the true picture of 'frequency' and daily risk to us as foreigners walking the streets or taking taxis in Bangkok. 

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Quite damning...  looks like a bus or a lorry driver. Not targeting 'Westerners'... 

No one has denied bent Police Officers exist - my main point has been that the 'shake-down' is not occurring with sufficient frequency to be of great concern to us. 

The frequency of 'shake-downs' against foreigners along Sukhumvit road in Bangkok has diminished significantly from 5 years ago. 

Posting evidence that these issues continue provides good information that we still have to be careful, but it does not show the true picture of 'frequency' and daily risk to us as foreigners walking the streets or taking taxis in Bangkok. 

I think it just depends on how hungry they are and if they don’t line you or your look. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 9:30 AM, bbi1 said:

How did you acquire a friend from the Royal Thai Police? Do you need to pay him a monthly bribe so he's available on call to tell other cops to back off or is it a free service?

Free service for me is provided by my (former) BiL.

The Thai Police Boys care about you, they want you to go to bed early. In fact, the 5,000 baht serves as a lesson for you to understand that you must go to bed early. 

23 hours ago, varun said:

The shake-down areas around lower-mid Sukhumvit have really not changed much over the last 10-15 years.

In no particular order:

Asoke Intersection

Asoke-Petchaburi Intersection

Sukhumvit Soi 22

Thonglor - Especially around Thong Lo Soi 20

Ekkamai Soi 23 - and the street leading out to Thong Lo Soi 20

The street leading out from Narz club onto Sukhumvit Soi 23

For the most part, it is the "two BIB's on a motorbike" routine.

If you are polite and keep your cool, you can generally be on your way fairly quickly.

5000 baht fine for not having one's passport at the time sounds like BS to me.

Probably more to the story.

The one thing all. Shakedown areas have 8n common is thonglor police jurisdiction. It's been that way for at least 10-15 years that I can recall.

On 11/19/2019 at 5:22 AM, KhaoYai said:

Really, its closed?  Yes time flies but I don't think the event I describe was over 6 years ago. I didn't even know Bed was closed so it could have been closed at the time. It was in that area though, could have been Q bar, I know that name but I really can't remember.

Q bar is now a villa supermarket. Has been for almost a year, q bar closed maybe 18 months ago.

Bed been gone for ages, long enough to be torn down, moved, reopened as chi, which remained in operation for about 20 mins. 

1 hour ago, metempsychotic said:

Q bar is now a villa supermarket. Has been for almost a year, q bar closed maybe 18 months ago.

Bed been gone for ages, long enough to be torn down, moved, reopened as chi, which remained in operation for about 20 mins. 

Think Q Bar has been gone much longer than that, maybe four years or so?

Had some amazing nights there and in Bed Club over the years, fond memories.

3 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

The one thing all. Shakedown areas have 8n common is thonglor police jurisdiction. It's been that way for at least 10-15 years that I can recall.

I believe so lom is in lumpini jurisdiction..but thong lo is most notorious.  

4 hours ago, moontang said:

I believe so lom is in lumpini jurisdiction..but thong lo is most notorious.  

I once saw a detailed map lumpini and thonglo police districts, and I beleive you are correct. 

However I was speaking to this list of locations in another post

Asoke Intersection

Asoke-Petchaburi Intersection

Sukhumvit Soi 22

Thonglor - Especially around Thong Lo Soi 20

Ekkamai Soi 23 - and the street leading out to Thong Lo Soi 20

The street leading out from Narz club onto Sukhumvit Soi 23

All of the above is Thonglor. 

Almost every tourist or foreigner shakedown I have heard has occurred in thonglor district.

I do remember a pair of lumpini cops being involved in a kidnapping and ransom attempt of (I think) an Italian man years back though. 

Ah yes, this gem:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtsalamity/2013/08/23/1377250791/

Lumpini was very active in drug testing at q bar and nearby nightclubs in the Purachi and war on drugs Era, I found myself in the back of police trucks en route to the station with a hundred others on one occasion. 

On a few occasions, I was detained in a club until everyone had a chance to test. 

All that achieved was a rise in private house parties, making mdma hard to find, and an influx of cocaine though. 

Edited by metempsychotic

well, I rarely carry my original passport.  Always have a photocopy of the photo page and visa stamp page when I visit Thailand.  Over the years no concrete statements covering all cities or provinces on need or non need for having actual passport on person.  Chiang Mai cop chief I believe once said not needed, same I think for some Phuket chief.  But they hardly speak for all of Thailand

On 11/20/2019 at 8:44 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Shake me baby. Im under treatment by a Thai Medical Practioner. I have my certificate right here. Wheres the cup 🙂

On 11/17/2019 at 9:51 PM, Skallywag said:

So how many laminated copies have you had stolen?  You carry cell phone?  Room keys? All those items have been stolen from you?

No laminated copies stolen. Three lost mobile phones. Room keys on chain, spare copy with neighbour. But  I do not understand your point at all. This thread is about bent or overzealous cops on lower Suk. How are your questions relevant.

On 11/16/2019 at 9:01 AM, holy cow cm said:

So if you say walk from Cowboy on the Robinsons side going past Thermae then on to Nana you will be ok.? That has always been traditionally ok as long as I have known. BTW. I know all about the Go Go scene, but what is your Uni girls at Unis statement all about? Is there some sort of street walking now for them?

The Uni girl comment was extraneous nonsense.

On 11/19/2019 at 3:22 AM, richard_smith237 said:

The article you quoted is from 2014 - there were a lot of shakedowns at the time, such so that they gained media attention and then international media attention. The 'shakedowns' were carried out by the Thonglor Police at the time who clearly thought they were on to a good thing before they were shut down and told by the Chief of Police to behave. 

Since then there has been very little in the news or first hand reports. Sure this issue still exists but there is usually more to the story. We can walk down the streets without issue now, but if you stop and talk to an African at 1am and end up paying a 40,000 baht bribe to the BiB, there is usually a lot more to the story than is being let on. 

Regarding your comment above [ThomasThBkk] - you showed them a photo of your Passport and the BiB when though the rest of your private photos? why did you allow them to do that? I know its difficult, but you can stop them, they shouldn't even take your phone off. 

I keep the photos of my Passport, ID page, TM6 and Stamp on Dropbox - scrolling is not possible outside of the specific folder the file is saved in.

Now... to place this 'issue' into perspective: I have lived in Bangkok for over 20 years. 

- I have been stopped in Bangkok by the Traffic Police (while driving) about 5 times in that time, each time I had made some innocuous traffic infraction, a couple of those times it was explained to me what I did wrong and was just let go, another couple of times it cost me 100 or 200 baht. 

- I have stopped twice on my Motorcycle, the first time I opened my helmet and the BiB just waved me on, they weren't interested in stopping a foreigner (they didn't even ask for my license). The second time I was riding where I shouldn't be (centre lanes of Vibhavadi-rangsit rd) - it cost me 100 baht after a little negotiation. 

- More on topic: I have been stopped by the BiB 4 times, never while walking down the road, 4 times while a passenger in a Taxi. 

- 1st time: stopped (back streets of Sukhumvit 31 area about 2am) asked where you go & waved along.

- 2nd time: Stopped (between Ekammai & Thonglor at 2am), I opened the window 1" the BiB asked for passport, I answered no. asked for ID, I answered no, that was it, we were waved along.

- 3rd time: With Wife (afternoon entering the expressway), stopped the police looked in a waves us on without word.

- 4th time: stopped (awoke Junction about 7pm), I opened the window 1", asked for passport, I answered no and showed my Thai DL, asked for Passport again, I said no. I was told to get out of the taxi, I said no, called up a friend (a Thai Policeman) who spoke with them, I was waved on my way. 

The last one of these on Asoke was about 5 years ago - it felt like a real shakedown, the others were just curious police roaming the streets, perhaps trying to shakedown people but with just two of them they seemed less forceful. 

So - in 20 years I've had minimal interaction with the Police here - certainly not enough to make me want to move. 

Perhaps these stories are being exaggerated or the outrage at just a couple of questions is enough to upset peoples sensitivities and push their anger / hurt etc through the roof ?

Thats a lot of unwanted attention!