Prostitution, the CIA, David Bowie and Patpong – Undercover in Bangkok infamous red light district

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, bendejo said:

And David Bowie? He visited the area back in 1983, shot a video clip there, and ‘got lost’ for quite a while, so the story goes.

Anyone know what video it was?  My first guess is China Girl. 

This movie, released while the Viet Nam War was still happening, helped give Thailand, and Patpong, it's image. 

And answers @PatOngo 's question.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071464/

I just watched the entire "official" VDO and nothing at all in it suggests Patpong or even Thailand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Upstairs at Pink Panthers in Patpong was as good as its reputation . 

Guess I missed that one. In all the upstairs bars I tried the "buy me a drink" was too much, so I stayed downstairs.

Then I discovered Nana and never went back, except to remind myself why I didn't go there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sanemax said:
3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Ping Pong shows? Can anyone explain? Is this a table tennis exhibition?

No, the female  performers emit ping-pong balls from their vaginas

Damn, I like table tennis!

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Full on live sex shows and  ping pong balls , blow darts and bananas flying all over the place .

Holding a ballon up awaiting a dart to come flying out a vagina aiming to burst the  ballon is a frightening experience .

You are trying to cover your eyes and look at the same time .

Everything except the live sex ( they did have live lesbian sex though ) was available at Hollywood Royale in Nana, and better than anything in Patpong. Sadly, Purachai ended all that.

I did once see a live sex show in Bkk back in the 70s at a GI brothel. Complete turn off.

Apparently there was a couple did it on a motorbike somewhere back in the day, but before my time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DonaldBattles said:

I lived on Silom Road near Patpong for 25 years. There was more to Patpong than sex shows. Some good eating places, shops and Foodland. The Madrid on Patpong 1 was my favorite meeting place. Khun Daeng ran a respectable business and had good food. Jack Shirley entertained us for years with old CIA stories. When Tony Poe came to town there was lots of excitement. Also, when John Daughtrey came from Sadia there was a lot of free drinks. I am retired in Chiang Rai now but I really miss Patpong.

I think you miss Patpong as it was then. It's entirely missable now.

Unfortunately, LOS has moved on and all we have is memories of a different world- could be an alternate universe for all the similarity to today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

It was the pulse of Bangkok throughout the 70's.

When going to LOS on a bus tour from Singapore early 70s I read a book about Patpong as preparation. All I remember of it is that one BG poured petrol over another and set her head on fire in a dispute over a client.

When I got to Bkk I was all ready to go there, but the tour guide convinced me it was too dangerous. Sadly I didn't go, but I wish I had.