School Expulsion for Vaping

revup

A classmate reported him but my sons account is that while four of his friends were vaping in the classroom, he and one other did not participate.

Do you seriously believe him? You think he's not lying to you? Are you that gullible? lol. Seems like he is a troubled kid. You want advice from this forum so here it is, do some better parenting.

On 11/15/2019 at 2:21 AM, bkk6060 said:

Sounds like you are making excuses and not making your son take responsibility for his inappropriate actions.

He was busted before so what you think?

On 11/15/2019 at 7:33 AM, revup said:

That may be so. My point is that expulsion is a massive over reaction to something that is very common among students today. He was guilty last time but blameless this time.

You're funny. Guilty last time but innocent this time lol

On 11/15/2019 at 2:34 PM, revup said:

Good answer. He had the meeting this morning and he is out. I wanted to see the evidence they say they collected. This time they played a game. They said I could see the evidence, and if it (the statements) showed him to innocent, then he could stay at the school. But if it showed him as guilty, then he would be expelled with bad record and the consequences you describe. However, If we withdrew, they would not expel, so no bad record and they would refund the years fees to us. 300k.

Best solution: Withdraw him with no bad record, take your 300k in fees, give your son a good hard punishment warning him he will get more of it if caught again in the future and place him in a new school.

23 hours ago, bfc1980 said:

At the end day, what your son did was not only damaging to their health but illegal in this country. The school is right to throw the book at him. He was caught once and was then found out again. He says he didn't do it but do you really believe that? He was in a room with other students who were vaping and he wasn't joining in? He's a kid. If his mates were doing it, he was almost certainly doing it too. Even if he wasn't doing it, he was there. Guilt by association.

He obviously didn't take the first exclusion seriously and learn from his mistakes. Hopefully he will now. Stop blaming the school and give your kid the bollocking of a lifetime and move to another school where hopefully he can make new friends who will have a more positive influence on him. 

Spot on with this post.

Not passing judgment. Vaping is illegal. Cigarettes not. Lots of boys toy around with smoking but vaping is more complicated.

Moving on

It's sounds like he's in grade 12? 

To the new school something must be terribly amiss for a student to leave after term one with a few short months to graduate. Be prepared to explain this well.

See

there is absolutely no sign of attendance, grades term two.

If being international school he's not completed term one yet, see no grades or anything on the transcript indicating attendance. If his entire sr year is wiped all the better.

There are plenty of similar schools he can complete his senior year.

He has a lot on his plate, adjusting to new school, getting good grades and sorting out university ambitions assuming they are Thai international programs. If you're sending him abroad these will be challenging times.

@revup: I'm not going to comment on the appropriateness of your son's actions, nor whether the attempted expulsion is a valid consequence. However, from a legal perspective the school cannot expel your son. Expulsion was banned by the Ministry of Education in the 2005 amendment to the regulations on disciplinary actions. The reason they were so likely willing to refund the tuition is that they were hoping you'll take the offer and leave quietly. At this point, assuming you haven't signed any sort of agreement that indicates you withdrew voluntarily, you have legal grounds to sue the school.

intEdSource, post 39

Well, let's see how the teenager can continue to put the bazard in school,
  since dad will file a complaint for abuse of authority.
Nice pedagogical.
It reminds me of my country where children and parents beat teachers.
The children are so kind, so respectful.

4 hours ago, sirocco said:

intEdSource, post 39

Well, let's see how the teenager can continue to put the bazard in school,
  since dad will file a complaint for abuse of authority.
Nice pedagogical.
It reminds me of my country where children and parents beat teachers.
The children are so kind, so respectful.

@sirocco, as I indicated in my post, I'm not making any judgment as to whether or not his son's actions or the school's responses are appropriate. However, the fact is that the school is in violation of MOE regulations, regardless of whether any of us feel that is right or wrong.

I work in international education and have done so for over a decade. Except in the most extreme cases, I don't believe children should be expelled as a punitive measure. Our job is to help children learn from mistakes and failure now so that when they reach adulthood they are more resilient and capable of making better decisions. Looking back to your own childhood, I'm sure you could list out many mistakes that you made, just as all of us can.

Erreurs dans mon enfance, bien sûr que j'ai à mon actif.
Mais ce ne sont pas les professeurs qui m'ont éduqué, mais mes parents.
Les professeurs m'ont instruit.
Les punitions et les gifles ont fait de moi ce que je suis aujourd'hui.

Je ne pense pas que ce papa cherche à empoisonner ces problèmes récurrents, il est juste dépassé.
Lui conseiller de se retourner contre l’école n’est donc pas une bonne idée.
Sinon, l'école n'est pas obligatoire, mais l'enseignement, oui, il est toujours possible de prendre un percepteur des impôts à la maison.
Ainsi, il n’y aura plus de problèmes de retard ou de tenues non conformes.
Pour information, pratiquement toute ma famille est ou était dans l'éducation, et cela fait beaucoup de gens.
Quant à moi, j'ai enseigné le droit pendant plusieurs décennies.

Bonne nuit.

Errors in my childhood, of course that I have to my credit.
But it was not the teachers who educated me, but my parents.
The teachers instructed me.
Punishments and slaps made me what I am today.

I do not think this daddy is trying to poison these recurring problems, he's just out of date.
So advising him to turn against the school is not a good idea.
Otherwise, the school is not compulsory, but teaching, yes, there is always a possibility of taking a tutor at home.
As this, there will be no more problems of delay or non-compliant outfits.
For information, virtually all my family is or was in education, and that makes many people.
As for me, I taught law for several decades.

Good night.

15 hours ago, sirocco said:

Errors in my childhood, of course that I have to my credit.
But it was not the teachers who educated me, but my parents.
The teachers instructed me.
Punishments and slaps made me what I am today.

Would be nice to hear from the OP with an update about the school situation and if he gave his kid a good spanking for his bad behaviour.

School officials can be wrong, they are not infallible. This is a terrible situation at the time, but you'll get through it. I'm sure it's very upsetting. Here is an example of a school official in the wrong. At one of the best international schools, one of the other mom's told me what happened to her son. He was on a school trip and another student stored some beer in her son's hotel fridge. Her son was caught with it, and the punishment was that he couldn't go on the next school trip, which was the big overseas sports trip that was really important. So this mom decided to go talk to the head of the school. When she got there, the secretary told her the head of the school would not talk to her. She was very upset, and the son did not go on the big overseas trip. Weeks later, the head of the school apologized to her, and said he shouldn't have done that. He admitted that he was wrong to refuse to talk to her. All you can do, is do the best you can for your son.

12 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

School officials can be wrong, they are not infallible. This is a terrible situation at the time, but you'll get through it. I'm sure it's very upsetting. Here is an example of a school official in the wrong. At one of the best international schools, one of the other mom's told me what happened to her son. He was on a school trip and another student stored some beer in her son's hotel fridge. Her son was caught with it, and the punishment was that he couldn't go on the next school trip, which was the big overseas sports trip that was really important. So this mom decided to go talk to the head of the school. When she got there, the secretary told her the head of the school would not talk to her. She was very upset, and the son did not go on the big overseas trip. Weeks later, the head of the school apologized to her, and said he shouldn't have done that. He admitted that he was wrong to refuse to talk to her. All you can do, is do the best you can for your son.

Chŕīśť ! For booze! Pathetic. Kids in Europe drink wine with dinner.

Archived