Why can I never top up myAIS app using a visa debit or credit card

randymarsh

Are you writing about a credit/debit card issued by a Thai bank?

Not clear from the OP.

Debit cards by Thai banks have to be registered for online usage.

A procedure that can be done at the ATM or in online banking.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Are you writing about a credit/debit card issued by a Thai bank?

Not clear from the OP.

Debit cards by Thai banks have to be registered for online usage.

A procedure that can be done at the ATM or in online banking.

I believe AIS will only accept a Thai-issued card. I recall attempting to use a UK one some years ago with no success.

Call 1175 from an AIS phone - they may be able to help.

By the way, IF you happen to have a SCB account with online banking, it's very easy to top-up from there - I use it quite a lot. Go to the Payments & E-bill tab on the SCB website

1 hour ago, VBF said:

I believe AIS will only accept a Thai-issued card. I recall attempting to use a UK one some years ago with no success.

Call 1175 from an AIS phone - they may be able to help.

By the way, IF you happen to have a SCB account with online banking, it's very easy to top-up from there - I use it quite a lot. Go to the Payments & E-bill tab on the SCB website

I think almost every online banking in Thailand can topup. K-Bank, Krungthai, GSB at least have this functionality and it's really easy to do with the online app.

I was never able to use my Krungsri card with AIS. But several Mastercard and Visa debit cards from my home country work fine.

It is possible that my Krungsri card is blocked for internet use. I can also not use it with Air Asia.

If you want to topup AIS and nothing works you can also try https://mobiletopup.com/   I used them often. 

7 hours ago, dimitriv said:

It is possible that my Krungsri card is blocked for internet use. I can also not use it with Air Asia.

By default none of my Thai bank "ATM"/Debit cards were usable for internet use.

You have to go through some registration process. Should be doable at the ATM.

8 hours ago, randymarsh said:

Was using a UK card so that's why

Seems the same lame system(?) like Lazada where I can not use a German credit card, while a Lenovo online shop will work.

Only option you could try is the AIS topup website with the browser.

https://topup.ais.co.th/topup-fe/topup?lang=en

"Anywhere"/"Anytime".

At the verification page there is an explicit selection for country of issuing bank.

I've been messaging with the AIS support via email, they're really good, fast to reply and good english.

They recommended an app called Ding to top up using a UK card.  And it works.  I've topped up 5 times this morning, 10฿ each time and that has extended my card expiry date out to May 2020.  Problem solved.  Really wanted to keep this SIM as it's 3 years old 

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Seems the same lame system(?) like Lazada where I can not use a German credit card, while a Lenovo online shop will work.

I have N26.com, it's German. My Mastercard debit card works with Lazada.

1 hour ago, randymarsh said:

I've been messaging with the AIS support via email, they're really good, fast to reply and good english.

They recommended an app called Ding to top up using a UK card.  And it works.  I've topped up 5 times this morning, 10฿ each time and that has extended my card expiry date out to May 2020.  Problem solved.  Really wanted to keep this SIM as it's 3 years old 

@randymarshThat, presumably is this https://www.ding.com/  ?

So to be clear, you were able to add 10฿ per topup using a UK-issued Sterling card? Might I ask, was it a MasterCard, Visa, Credit or Debit?

I've presently got a mate in Thailand topping my phone up for me but if that option isn't available, yours sounds like a good solution.

Same question to @dimitriv

When you used  https://mobiletopup.com/   did you use a  UK-issued Sterling card? And was it a MasterCard, Visa, Credit or Debit?

11 minutes ago, VBF said:

Same question to @dimitriv

When you used  https://mobiletopup.com/   did you use a  UK-issued Sterling card? And was it a MasterCard, Visa, Credit or Debit?

I used a German debit Mastercard in Euro.  The website has an option to topup with 49 Baht. It sends small amounts to AIS giving you 3 months extra. The next option is a 20 Baht topup.

1 minute ago, dimitriv said:

I used a German debit Mastercard in Euro.  The website has an option to topup with 49 Baht. It sends small amounts to AIS giving you 3 months extra. The next option is a 20 Baht topup.

Thanks - I've got a friend doing a few 20 Baht topups for me using the machines outside Family Mart. Each 20 Baht extends my validity for 1 month up to a maximum of 1 year. 

So if he's not available (or even if he is) your solution is much more satisfactory.

13 hours ago, dimitriv said:

I have N26.com, it's German. My Mastercard debit card works with Lazada.

Hmm.

Maybe I give it another try next time.

The two factor authorization with "DKB" failed at Lazada.

(worked with Lenovo Thailand)

In similar circumstances I have tried to pay my monthly TrueVisions TV subscription with my new Mastercard debit card issued by Bangkok Bank, when my Visa one was withdrawn, but without success. After a call to True in Bangkok, my local customer service lady confirmed that True does NOT accept/recognize Mastercard, only Visa and the dreaded Union Pay. I now have to withdraw the cash from an ATM to pay my subscription. This is submitted for reference. 

I[ve had the same problem for 2 years running. Use my CapitalOne MasterCard for everything here and around the world...including Lazada and Shopee...tens of thousands of baht every month. Never works for AIS top up. Assuming they only accept Thai CC. I just top up directly from my Bangkok Bank app. 

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Hmm.

Maybe I give it another try next time.

The two factor authorization with "DKB" failed at Lazada.

(worked with Lenovo Thailand)

I paid yesterday on Lazada, a bit over 5000 Baht. The strange thing is that the money was taken from my account without two factor authorization. Usually the N26 app asks me to confirm, but now it didn't.  I thought using two factor authentication is mandatory now.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:03 PM, Amusements said:

Sounds like a bank security issue.  BTW. If you have a Kasikorn bank account, with a K-Cyber log in, you can top up phones instantly from there online.

You can also top-up using the K+ app. Same with Bangkok Bank online or their mobile banking app. I guess you can do the same with every commercial bank. 

23 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

I paid yesterday on Lazada, a bit over 5000 Baht. The strange thing is that the money was taken from my account without two factor authorization. Usually the N26 app asks me to confirm, but now it didn't.  I thought using two factor authentication is mandatory now.

It depends on which bank you're using and type of debit card. 

9 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

In similar circumstances I have tried to pay my monthly TrueVisions TV subscription with my new Mastercard debit card issued by Bangkok Bank, when my Visa one was withdrawn, but without success. After a call to True in Bangkok, my local customer service lady confirmed that True does NOT accept/recognize Mastercard, only Visa and the dreaded Union Pay. I now have to withdraw the cash from an ATM to pay my subscription. This is submitted for reference. 

Isn't it possible to pay via a PayPal account connected to your MasterCard and Bangkok Bank account? The payments are free. I'm using PayPal monthly for Spotify and for my VPN. 

6 hours ago, billp said:

Just like the other posters, I use mobiletopup.com with my German Mastercard credit card. Works well, no problem.

Is there any way to check a SIM’s balance and validity from abroad?

AIS is same and free...used it from China, Europe, USA, India 

*121#

On 11/16/2019 at 2:14 AM, randymarsh said:

Was using a UK card so that's why

Thanks for the responses

Have you tried the app Wit Pay? You can top-up your phone and pay bills. Download it from Play Store. Maybe it works with foreign debit cards. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Isn't it possible to pay via a PayPal account connected to your MasterCard and Bangkok Bank account? The payments are free. I'm using PayPal monthly for Spotify and for my VPN. 

Being of the much older generation I do not have a smart phone - PayPal, Spotify and VPN are unknown to me (gibberish)!

40 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Being of the much older generation I do not have a smart phone - PayPal, Spotify and VPN are unknown to me (gibberish)!

PayPal is one of the biggest websites in the world where you can send and receive money online. Also pay for monthly online subscriptions and use as a method of payment online. You don't need a smartphone,it works on PC,too. 

Archived