Leaving Country every 3 months on WP ??

Hello TV people,

I have been reading TV daily the past few years,

but just signed up today, so nice 2 meet you all.

Anyhoo, I have a question.

I just got back from Penang, and got my Non-B

My work permit will be applied for beginning next week, and I have been told it might take about 2 weeks before I get it.

That's all fine and all.

The thing is, I thought I could extend my 3 months non-B then locally at Immigration in Phuket to 1 year.

Today I was told that I will have to go to Penang again, and get the full 1 year Visa there, as it is too difficult in Phuket.

That is still all ok, can go there and have some nice food and such.

Then I was informed that after obtaining the 1 year extension, I will have to leave Thailand every 3 months, during that 1 year.
Isn't it so I should do notifications at the local immigration? Or is it normal that everyone has to leave every 3 months even on a WP?

Then I was also told that the 2nd year that would not be a necessity and I could just stay inside Thailand.

Looks a bit weird doesn't it?

I know the rules here are not always straight forward, but I could not get much more clarification from the lady who is doing the paperwork.

Background info:

Im from Belgium

The non-b is for me as an employee at a Thai business in which i have 10% shares

Registered capital, thai employees, tax, etc... are all accounted for

It's a bit much to read, so to recapitulate:

Is it normal to apply for a 1 year extension at Penang, after getting the work permit?

And does anyone know if it is normal to have to leave then every 3 months?

Some experienced answers are really welcome

Thanks

It seems you are getting a lot of garbled information from Immigration.

With the entry on your single entry Non B, plus a work permit, it should be possible to get a one year extension of your permission to stay based on working if your monthly salary is high enough (for a Belgian national, 50,000 baht per month). Do this if eligible.

With a work permit, plus evidence that you are a director of the company, you will most likely be able to get a one year multiple entry Non B visa in Penang. With this, you would need to do a border bounce every 90 days. Penang does not automatically provide multiple entry Non B visas these days, so this plan is shaky. However, there is no income requirement.

The requirements for an extension of stay based on working will be no different when using a multiple entry Non B to when using a single entry Non B. Either you qualify or you do not.

50 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It seems you are getting a lot of garbled information from Immigration.

>
Yes, we hired a lady who does applications as a full time job, but she doesn't give clear answers

It should be possible to get a one year extension of your permission to stay based on working if your monthly salary is high enough (for a Belgian national, 50,000 baht per month)

>
My contract shows 35k, to keep taxes low. Will check if I can still change that into 50k

With a work permit, plus evidence that you are a director of the company, you will most likely be able to get a one year multiple entry Non B visa in Penang. With this, you would need to do a border bounce every 90 days. Penang does not automatically provide multiple entry Non B visas these days, so this plan is shaky. However, there is no income requirement.

>

I think that is the plan, because of the 35k on my contract, and it was also mentioned that Phuket immigration asks for 20k tea money.
You said it is shaky. With the proper documents that should be hassle free, right?

The requirements for an extension of stay based on working will be no different when using a multiple entry Non B to when using a single entry Non B. Either you qualify or you do not.

>

That's confusing, if I get the 1 year ME-NonB in Penang, then I do not need an extension right?
I only need that if I apply in Thailand with the 50k income?

Applying inside Thailand is my preferred choice. But if I can't and have to get a ME at Penang, then so be it. Just hope i get it.

Thanks a lot Tim for this clarification.

Did you had any problems getting a 1 year extension inside Thailand? Or had to pay some brown envelopes?

27 minutes ago, MarcB said:

I think that is the plan, because of the 35k on my contract, and it was also mentioned that Phuket immigration asks for 20k tea money.
You said it is shaky. With the proper documents that should be hassle free, right?

I hate to speculate on what happens when willing to offer tea money to facilitate an application. I would just suggest you first apply with the documentation you have without suggesting a bribe, and (if denied) use an agent as a cutout if you want to go ahead regardless.

EDIT: In Penang, when applying for a multiple entry Non B, nothing is certain these days. Multiple entry Non B's are officially restricted to business owners visiting the country periodically for business reasons. As a director (according to the paperwork you submit) I expect they will give you the visa, but be prepared for a rejection. It might happen.

27 minutes ago, MarcB said:

>

That's confusing, if I get the 1 year ME-NonB in Penang, then I do not need an extension right?
I only need that if I apply in Thailand with the 50k income?

With a multiple entry Non B, you do not have to apply for an extension. You can do a border bounce every 90 days instead. The point I was trying to make was based on ...

2 hours ago, MarcB said:

Then I was also told that the 2nd year that would not be a necessity and I could just stay inside Thailand.

There will be no difference whether applying for an extension after three months, one year or ten years. You either qualify for an extension or you do not.

The only thing I can think of is that the original work permit application specifying a 35k salary might have been seen by your lady consultant as an issue until an updated work permit application next year. I doubt that is true. There is nothing in the regulations that forbids companies from giving their employees pay increases. If your revised contract has an updated salary, Immigration should accept it.

Edited by BritTim

3 hours ago, MarcB said:

Applying inside Thailand is my preferred choice. But if I can't and have to get a ME at Penang, then so be it. Just hope i get it.

You need to double check with Penang about the multiple entry non-b visa. That last info I have seen is that it was only done for owners of companies.