Dual pricing now also in effect at Icon Siam

Pravda

On 11/17/2019 at 1:02 PM, sirineou said:

Why would they put Prices for Thais most of whom can't read English in English??

More Thais read English than Americans speak Thai. Why dont you pack your contempt for Thailand in a bag and take it with you when you leave. Sooner rather than later.

Just for the record I don't like paying double. I never go to places that are privately owned but paying double there would send me to the moon. National parks I sort of understand it under this rationale: Being Thai you can claim ownership by heritage and nationality.

Paying taxes is no excuse. I'm certain I pay more taxes than 90% of Thais. Plus VAT. Plus extensions, reentry fees etc.

It's totally stupid but I'm not going to let it spoil my trip. Having said that park fees are getting so expensive + speedboat and maybe o/w on a plane we are looking to just go to a bungalow resort. Have two we're looking at. They've priced themselves out of existence. Loyal ten year customers. Coral is dead.

Don't complain, move on.

Edited by Number 6

Double pricing used to be rife in Vietnam, with even long distance bus and train trips being subject to it.  It still exists for some attractions, but has been removed for many.  However, in most cases, they didn't lower the foreigner price to match the local one, they slightly lowered the foreigner price and raised the local one to match.  If bringing a Thai family to a national park, then be careful what you wish for, as the overall cost could well increase should they remove double pricing. 

Here in Thailand, I'd say 90% of the time I have been able to get into a place using the Thai price by showing my drivers license or pink ID card, and for the others I decide whether I really want to enter or not.  No one is forcing me to.  Besides which, if you look at it as a discount for locals, rather than a surcharge for foreigners, then it becomes more palatable.  Travelling with a wife and child, would you rather all three pay the higher rate, or two get the "local discount"?  From experience at other global attractions I've personally visited, double pricing also exists at the Taj Mahal, the Colosseum, Corcovado (Christ redeemer statue in Rio), the Pyramids, Petra, Machu Picchu… and is being mooted in other countries, such as NZ where a "tourist tax" is being discussed. 

Finally, in Malaysia entry to attractions such as KL Tower, KL Aquarium and the KL Zoo will cost Malaysian citizens less than non citizens, with a MyKad - an ID card issued only to Malaysians, being needed to get the discount.  Despite working and paying taxes there for two years, and both possessing an iPass - an ID card for non Malaysians, my wife and I were never given the local price.  Again, we could have walked away, but chose to pay the price to visit the attraction.  And you have that choice everywhere dual pricing is practised.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As an Info, there is no dual pricing, as long you can present a Thai driver license or a Pink ID!

I was there to ask what you need to be able to receive the Thai price. and the answer as I wrote.

On 2/7/2020 at 12:29 AM, HampiK said:

As an Info, there is no dual pricing, as long you can present a Thai driver license or a Pink ID!

I was there to ask what you need to be able to receive the Thai price. and the answer as I wrote.

And you really think staff tomorrow knows our cares ehat staff today said?