Students "crammed in" on school minivan: 19 injured in Lopburi

webfact

Students "crammed in" on school minivan: 19 injured in Lopburi

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Nineteen people - 18 of whom were students aged between 5 and 20 - were injured when a minivan left the road and collided with a tree then a lamppost in Lopburi yesterday. 

Police and rescue services on the scene on the Lopburi to Ban Praek Road about 18 kilometers from Muang district found students crying for help on the roadside and some trapped in the badly damaged Toyota van. 

The injured were taken to Phra Narai Maharat Hospital. They included driver Nirut, 36. 

The students were from Winit Suksa school and Phiboon Withayalai college. 

A driver of a vehicle following said that they heard what seemed to be a tire exploding before the van left the road and hit a tree then a lamppost. 

Some of the students who were only slightly injured said that the van was fitted with additional seats to cram students into the vehicle. 

Ban Kum police captain Wichai Saenbut is investigating.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-15

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

A driver of a vehicle following said that they heard what seemed to be a tire exploding before the van left the road and hit a tree then a lamppost. 

Poorly maintained vehicle?  Too much speed?  This is why I take my grandson to school and don't trust anybody else. 

34 minutes ago, ezzra said:

In a country where road users are not afraid of the police, being fined or losing their licenses, that county will continue to suffer high rate or road casualties no matter what the government says or do...

The police do absolutely nothing....

the police dont even know the road rules let alone abide by them themselves, why should anyone else , the road users in Thailand are a total joke and refuse to do anything that resembles obeying the laws, any vehicle that carries students/people should have to have safety inspections yearly and drivers found in unsafe vehicles charged, same with trucks and buses. The amount of unsafe vehicles I see on the roads is shameful but they know the police will never stop them or make them fix them up

By my estimate, that van had a payload of 1,800 pounds which would greatly affect its handling characteristics. Additionally, that weight could contribute to a tire blow out (a tire that may have been over or under inflated).

As I read this and look at the picture of both the vehicle and the bodies on the road, I just shake my head in disbelief.

Seem to recall about two years ago the Brainless of Bangkok 'ordered' that Minibuses could not carry more than TEN people on any journey but as per usual everyone ignores everything and carries on as normal !

I once tried to explain to a Minibus driver that when he crammed people in like they do he was making the vehicle unstable for anything other than driving along straight roads.  He just laughed and said...'more people, more money'.   You can't fix stupid.

5 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Seem to recall about two years ago the Brainless of Bangkok 'ordered' that Minibuses could not carry more than TEN people on any journey but as per usual everyone ignores everything and carries on as normal !

I once tried to explain to a Minibus driver that when he crammed people in like they do he was making the vehicle unstable for anything other than driving along straight roads.  He just laughed and said...'more people, more money'.   You can't fix stupid.

Don't you know yet, that Thai laws and rules are not meant to be followed in practice, only in lip service.  Money, greed and corruption are the laws here in most cases.... you got the money... you can break any law you want.  You don't have the money... better beware.. even if you don't break any law lol!!!  

4 hours ago, webfact said:

said that the van was fitted with additional seats

How can we add seats in a minivan?
apart from the roof, I do not see where::crying:
If they were 19 or 20 it was because some were sitting on others' knees;
which also means that safety belts were not attached.

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Poorly maintained vehicle?  Too much speed?  This is why I take my grandson to school and don't trust anybody else. 

Add to that a driver without proper training, possibly a lack of sleep (or under the influence), and limited safety devices in a minivan (airbags for passengers, 3-point seatbelts, limited deformable zone).

Good to hear you care enough about your grandkid. 

It’s so sad to see kids and all kinds of people dying unnecessary on a daily basis in this country devoid of law enforcement and education with regards to road traffic to say the least, no prevention, no common sense, no maintenance on their vehicles and needless to say no brain ! 

Poor kids, it’s never their fault ☹️

6 hours ago, seajae said:

the police dont even know the road rules let alone abide by them themselves, why should anyone else , the road users in Thailand are a total joke and refuse to do anything that resembles obeying the laws, any vehicle that carries students/people should have to have safety inspections yearly and drivers found in unsafe vehicles charged, same with trucks and buses. The amount of unsafe vehicles I see on the roads is shameful but they know the police will never stop them or make them fix them up

In the Uk PCV passenger  carrying  vehicles are subject to 6 week safety inspection, documented and audited by unannounced visits by VOSA, if on a last inspection a tire shall we say was at 8 mm tread and a roadside inspection 2 weeks later shows 2 mm with only nominal recorded miles there is some questions on there way    

Students being " crammed " into these Minivans is an all too regular thing that occurs daily across the Nation.

The kids safety does not even enter into the thoughts of the Drivers, or the Schools that Contract them to transport the children to School.

Its all about the Gravy Train for the Schools,

Disgraceful and shameful attitude towards Children, and their Safety

It starts with getting a car license in Thailand with a ridiculously little hours on the road, that’s the major problem. Would the government tie a minimum of hours on the road in driving school and make the final driving tests more realistic, that would reduce the number of ignorant drivers and road accidents a lot.

14 hours ago, bangkok12345 said:

a minimum of hours on the road in driving school

Provided that the instructors of the driving school are trained as they are in Western Europe;
otherwise it is strictly useless to go enrich a so-called monitor who knows no more than his future students. :crying:

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:04 PM, neeray said:

By my estimate, that van had a payload of 1,800 pounds which would greatly affect its handling characteristics. Additionally, that weight could contribute to a tire blow out (a tire that may have been over or under inflated).

As I read this and look at the picture of both the vehicle and the bodies on the road, I just shake my head in disbelief.

Hello MAGA 2020 !!!! I see you placed a "HaHa" on the above (in contrast to 6 others).

Please tell me where the humour is in 19 people being injured in a bus.

I realize with a screen handle like MAGA 2020, we think very differently. But this is about life and death, not politics.

Archived