How has your life been ,good bad ,fantastic?

ivor bigun

I know that to post on Thai visa ,its obligatory to have been ripped off by your Thai wife or to have had some other misfortune in life but lets be honest not all of us have had it bad ,

what has your life been like ,you tell me about yours and i will tell you about mine .

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mines great thanks, nice new condo in central Bangkok in an area i love, great job i really like which pays great, nearly completed by Permanent residency, good group of friends I golf and badminton with and no worries.

Sure it wont last, but at the moment am feeling tip top- and its a Friday.

Life has been one long adventure ,i was lucky ,i was born into a family while by no means rich ,were not short,i grew up at the seaside(ended up there as well ,lol) lived in London in the 60s mixed and partyd with people you  still know now ,those that are alive that is , had good jobs ,nothing fancy ,but was never broke  ,i was lucky girls seemed to like me so all my life i got girlfriends and wives ,all of whom were attractive ,but ,its only now with my wife of over 20 years that i know what true love is, that is except for my family ,but thats a different love.

Starting from 18 years old, here is a brief summary of my life so far.

Married 20 years

Single 10 years

Married 8 years

SIngle 6 Years

Married 3 years so far ............. happiest ever right now.

I can honestly say I have had a good life even with the ups and downs as everyone has. I was equally happy alone or in a relationship. I believe you have to make the most of what you have. I have had huge debts but now have been debt-free for some 15 years or so which has made a huge difference to my lifestyle. Only 1 regret is not divorcing the first wife earlier, instead of wasting too many years thiking things would improve.

Very happilly retired.

Had a great childhood, mainly of my own making because I was out and about playing and exploring in forests, woods and anywhere else which interested me, whereas my folks didn't take much notice of me as I was the adopted "runt of the litter" so to speak.

The family was very poor and despite having to go to school in clothes bought from jumble sales, I was a happy soul, although I liked playing football and exploring, more than I did school...........so I left school as soon I reached my 15th birthday.

Took an electrical apprenticeship and after that worked overseas in the Sahara desert, Nigeria, Libya again and Norway before settling down in Sussex and getting married, something which was a big mistake because I was happier on my own, and with my own company. And not only that I had literally hundreds of girlfriends and was a very popular boy, having played football for my local team, something which I enjoyed immensely.

Moved away from the electrical field (sorry about the pun) got into sales and management and climbed the ladder, moving to NZ and having great success in a couple of multinational companies there.

Never got married again, but did have a long-term relationship in NZ, which I ended when I decided to move to Thailand in 2006/7, mainly because I wanted to retire and make my savings last, but secondly because of a health problem.

Overall and looking back, it's been a great life so far, and obviously there have been ups and downs, but taking it on the whole, very happy with where I have ended up and with what I have done during my time on this planet.

I am married to a lovely Thai woman, she has a daughter from previous marriage that I raise as my own. I love them, and they love me. I believe God brought me here. My life is great. Does that mean perfect? No, but its pretty close. We could all live close to same comfort level in the USA, and in a year or so, we are going to do a couple of 30 or 60 day bounces a year to the USA...things like renting full furnished cabin in the snow ???? I miss snow.

Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet bowl, sooner or later you are gonna get pi++ed off !.

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, and a tragedy for the poor...........same applies to the Visa these days ! ????

I accidentally handed my wife a glue stick instead of a chapstick. She still isn't talking to me... 

My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met... and when she found out that I replaced our bed with a trampoline she hit the roof...

Life is good, most of the time. And it was good, most of the time.

I was never rich but most of the time I had a decent apartment, good food, and since I am in Thailand there is also no shortage of girls.

Could it have been better? Sure. But how much happier does a bigger car or a bigger house make you? Sure, it's nice to have that 500PS Porsche. But does it bring happiness or does it feed the desire for that Ferrari or McLaren?

And I think it's always a good idea to keep the eyes open how the rest of the population and the rest of the world is doing. Hunger and wars are still all over the world. And even in so called developed countries, "home" for many of us, lots of people live in poverty.

And last but not least it's up to us if we see the glass half full or half empty.

For anybody who need a little motivation for a happier life I suggest this wonderful book.

81lSgEt+fzL.jpg

I discovered Thailand as a university student and moved here full-time after graduation, at 23.  I lived the first 30 years in Bangkok and the first 20 of those I managed to remain single and free.  I managed to avoid marriage, children, career, debt, divorce, ill health and regret during those formative years.  I am presently 22 years into my first, last and only marriage.  Good health, deep enduring love, comfort, beauty, variety and a profound contentment with my life, seems to sum up my life so far.????

Pretty awesome life so far. Went broke a couple time taking risk as an entrepreneur. Learned what it was to live poor and even homeless for a short time. No issue so far since I moved to Thailand. Fortunately my wife and child will probably never have it hard like I did. 

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Mines great thanks, nice new condo in central Bangkok in an area i love, great job i really like which pays great, nearly completed by Permanent residency, good group of friends I golf and badminton with and no worries.

Sure it wont last, but at the moment am feeling tip top- and its a Friday.

Good feeling. Happy Friday.

Oh Bigun, you do like those controversial threads don't you?

If I were to relate the tragedies of my life one would wonder why I haven't offed myself already, but like the song says

I know what you must be saying to yourselves
if that's the way she feels about it why doesn't she just end it all?
Oh, no, not me I'm in no hurry for that final disappointment
for I know just as well as I'm standing here talking to you
when that final moment comes and I'm breathing my first breath, I'll be saying to myself
Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is

Various singers I believe. Good lyrics- full version of is that all there is available on the internet.

So, lets keep to the positive
So so childhood, Sent to boarding schools full of bullies, but got through them OK. Good preparation for the military.

Went farming for a couple of years. Mugs game if not owning a farm- too much work and not enough pay.

Stupid software posted me before finished.

To continue

joined up and saw the world- great life, loved it.

The Soviet Union fell and the military life went to <deleted>. Way too many mini Hitlers in it to stay in.

Went to Antarctica for a year. AMAZING. Best year of my life, but nothing amazing lasts and job there was only for a year anyway.

Went nursing, and started a relationship.

5 years later relationship ended, nursing continued

PO with rubbish wages for nurses in NZ, went to Saudi and minted it.

Discovered LOS and LOS beaches- bliss.

Left Saudi and went to work in London- terrible place, but better wages than NZ and more holidays, which allowed me to continue my love affair with LOS

Sorry, computer did a wobbly, so to continue.

Left London and nursing- hurrah

Moved to LOS- bliss continues. Meet the love of my life- everything is perfect.

After living together a year get married. Move to the village, marriage enters spiral of death.

Marriage ends- life is not bliss

Live a year in Chiang Mai on not enough money, but OK life anyway. Looking on the bright side of life.

Money runs out, leave LOS. Life is not bliss anymore.

Find a place I can live on the pension. Life is stable, for now, money sufficient, for now, sunsets are nice.

Waiting for something to happen, and hope it's not something bad.

So my life continues in a comfortable, but very non exciting rut, but eventually something will happen. I'm old, so no prizes for guessing that it's probably going to be something health related. I just hope it's not painful or drawn out.

If I have any real regrets, it's that I don't remember the good things that happened to me in LOS. Those have faded away with short term memory loss. I can remember my school days like yesterday, but 5 years ago is a mystery.

47 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But how much happier does a bigger car or a bigger house make you? Sure, it's nice to have that 500PS Porsche. But does it bring happiness or does it feed the desire for that Ferrari or McLaren?

I never had a new looking car till now. I always had old dungers that I fixed up mechanically but kept the gold diggers away- worked like a charm.

Good post Ivor Bigun ????

"My life" and "happiness" really started when I met this beautiful creature some 13 years ago, I was 46 at the time and had previously been unhappily married for about the 12 years, my x and I had a daughter who was 2 when we divorced and was in a shared care agreement. 

I retired 4 years ago and moved into our new home which was designed by my wife, it was being built a year before we moved here from abroad, everything went according to plan, albeit a little behind schedule, but we could move in while works were being completed, and yes I paid for it, and I refer to it as our home while I live in it. It will be hers when I am not here, e.g. cremated or I have relocate....lol

We have two beautiful eurasian daughters, now 10 and 5, and my wife has two sons from a previous Thai relationship, the boys parted from their dad when they were one, they have never seen or spoken their biological father, nor do they want to as I am the only father they have known. But as I say to them, "up to them", after all he did spend a miniscule amount of time bringing you into this earth.

Thailand is not perfect in a lot of ways, but then again, neither is it back home, really enjoy the house in the country, living amongst Thailand's poorest, who are a welcoming community, that and it is very affordable for me to raise 4 kids here.

No doubt plan B is to return to my home country when the kids get a little older as education and work opportunities I believe would be far greater for them there, and I would be willing to sacrifice my retired lifestyle here to see them excel, although they will have to contribute to the costs as we have raised our kids on a no free rides education system at home, e.g. chores, rewards, contribution. In other words, it's our way or the village highway ???? :1zgarz5:

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Starting from 18 years old, here is a brief summary of my life so far.

Married 20 years

Single 10 years

Married 8 years

SIngle 6 Years

Married 3 years so far ............. happiest ever right now.

I can honestly say I have had a good life even with the ups and downs as everyone has. I was equally happy alone or in a relationship. I believe you have to make the most of what you have. I have had huge debts but now have been debt-free for some 15 years or so which has made a huge difference to my lifestyle. Only 1 regret is not divorcing the first wife earlier, instead of wasting too many years thiking things would improve.

Very happilly retired.

But if you divorced your first wife earlier, your life would have been different and you would not be with the woman you are now with at this happiest time of your life (I assume she is part of the reason for you being so happy). Sometimes you have got to just accept the past, rather than looking back and brooding on what you should and should not have done in years gone by, and just accept the present.

I too have been married for nearly three years now (second time around) and am the happiest ever. But without the <deleted> in my past I would not be where I am now. Not sure if that makes sense, but you get the idea.     

oh,  times like this i really regret there is no "puke" emoji .......  

no, i am not jealous.   i have had lots of experiences and certainly do not regret the ones that

were not idyllic.   I am much more drawn to guys that have also done many things in life and

have tasted the bad as well as the good.    they tend not to brag as much,  for me a very favorable trait.

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I have any real regrets, it's that I don't remember the good things that happened to me in LOS.

Opposite for me, I never remembered much of my childhood (before 15), managed to drink away the memories of my life in the UK, but can remember every Thai experience I ever had ........ and they were all good!

Archived