Ultrasound full abdomen pattaya?

Wardp

My friend needs to have an ultrasound full abdomen ..he's been having a lot of utis this year. BKK pattaya quoted just over 7000 baht. Would the government hospital in soi boukhao be competint to do it? Has anyone used this hospital for ultrasound? He's 60yr old and would rather not have to travel to sattahip or siricha.

Can not speak for Pattaya but wife had lower and upper done at major private hospital here (probably 2nd tier price wise) in Bangkok this year and total price was 4,800 for exams and radiologist.  But she is Thai so might have been more for me.  

The ultrasound is only as helpful as the skill of the person who does it. And that is well worth paying for.

If he is having this because of UTIs then presumably what he needs is a trans-rectal ultrasound of the prostate which should be done by a good urologist. Only reason I can think of to do a full abdominal ultrasound would be if there was suspicion of prostate cancer and thus desire to visualize adjacent lymph nodes and liver.

An ultrasound is not like an Xray, it is much more interactive. The person doing it has to adjust the patient's position and move the probe according to what they see on the screen. In other words, even if he could find a place to do the ultrasound for a few thousand baht less, it might not achieve much and he might have to get it done over. He should stick with a good urologist and not focus on the cost of the ultrasound itself so much as the skill of the person who will interpret it.

At BPH Dr. Jimmy has been favorably recommended by many TV members. https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/doctor-profile?v_id=205&depid=28

I had this at Pattaya Memorial as part of a health checkup program.

The extra cost compared to lesser package was about 5000 Baht (but not only ultrasound added).

The female doctor seemed competent.

Size of prostate measured, full/empty bladder measurement (residual urine).

Not too good for me but too early for surgery.

Got there and ask what the "standalone" check would cost.

Can't find it on the website.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

He should stick with a good urologist and not focus on the cost of the ultrasound itself so much as the skill of the person who will interpret it.

Sure the first visit should be to an urologist who then decides what checks have to be done.

24 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Sure the first visit should be to an urologist who then decides what checks have to be done.

Believe the point is ultrasound should be done by the treating doctor if for specific condition as it is not CT/MRI static image but doctor examines suspect areas in real time and that involves moving sensor and your body to view at different angles. 

18 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe the point is ultrasound should be done by the treating doctor if for specific condition as it is not CT/MRI static image but doctor examines suspect areas in real time and that involves moving sensor and your body to view at different angles. 

Correct.

23 hours ago, Wardp said:

He's 60yr old and would rather not have to travel to sattahip or siricha.

He is ONLY 60 and doesn't want a 30 minute journey!

Sriracha did mine 5 years ago Bht 2100......and I drove myself at 66!

Just to update we found a package at phyatai siricha which includes full ultrasound abdomen .3999 baht he has decided he will go there. I don't drive but his neighbour will  drive him there as she works in Robinson s nearby. Is this a good hospital?

10 minutes ago, Wardp said:

Just to update we found a package at phyatai siricha which includes full ultrasound abdomen .3999 baht he has decided he will go there. I don't drive but his neighbour will  drive him there as she works in Robinson s nearby. Is this a good hospital?

If changing to a more reasonably priced facility I would start with urologist appointment at that facility with paperwork from current hospital (they will provide if you ask),  If ultrasound indicated the new doctor may want to conduct himself and/or add other tests.

23 hours ago, Wardp said:

The hospital itself is fine but ultrasound done as part of a check up package is just a rough screeningand will be done by a technician or radiologist without the specific expertise needed and will likely not follow right parameters. In other words may waste his money and still meed to have it done again.

As explained ultrasound for prostate should be done by urologist.

His efforts to save a few thousand baht are likely to cost him more in the long run.

If a urologist did not previously tell him he needed an ultrasound why is he wanting one?

Note that ultrasounds for prostate are not usually  done abdominally but rather rectally and by urologist. A diffetent procedure from what he likely has booked.

His  gp in the UK mentioned to him when he was home for a week.i will write down  trans-rectal ultrasound so he can ask the urologist how best to proceed.He's not passing any blood and his urine test last week was negative. Thanks again Sheryl for all your valuable input..

Archived