BANGKOK

Just a short story. 

We have a big garden, so big that we can not really maintain it ourself. So every three months we hire a group of people and they trim trees, plants, do some grass cutting. And then the next three months we do ourselve.

We have a few palm plantations, and the people who we hire to work in our garden are the same people who work in our palm plantations. They are very experienced. They are also exprienced with all animals they find, and can meet. We find quite a lot of snakes in our garden, mostly harmless, but also quite often Cobra's, they are also harmless, as they do not attack people (or dogs) but the younger onces can be dangerous. As we lost already three dogs to Cobra's we prefer to kill Cobra's, specially when we see the young ones. And when we find one young one, it is sure we will find much more the next days. But all other animals (OK, rats we hunt also) may stay.

One of the workers was trimming a tree, and bitten by a snake (my wife calls it "a brown snake" I am not sure if it is a translation from a Thai name) He killed the snake and went with the snake to the local health centre. He was bitten in his leg, under the knee.

It seems this snake trusts its camouflage complete. It will not move or attack, even when you get close. But when you touch it, it will attack. The health center send the worker direct to the hospital. Once in the hospital, he got a lot of injections. The bite was very painfull. According the local doctors, when not treated, the bite will cause gangreen, what makes the change for a neccessary amputation very big. He had to stay one night in hospital.

He is out the hospital now, but still not able to use his leg.

I have no idea what snake it was.....

Arjen

1 minute ago, JaiMaai said:

Sounds like a pit viper. Possibly a Malayan Pit Viper or a Russell's Viper.  

If you can let people know your location, the actual snake experts (not me) will be able to provide a better guess.

Mainland Surat-Thani, roughly between city and Don Sak.

"He killed the snake and went with the snake to the local health centre. 

The local health center does not know it? Or the doctors that took care of him? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Arjen said:

It seems this snake trusts its camouflage complete. It will not move or attack, even when you get close. But when you touch it, it will attack. The health center send the worker direct to the hospital. Once in the hospital, he got a lot of injections. The bite was very painfull. According the local doctors, when not treated, the bite will cause gangreen, what makes the change for a neccessary amputation very big. He had to stay one night in hospital.

Probably a pit viper, as they stand their ground, until you stand on them.

For some reason they're very common at the moment.

Almost stepped on two last week while walking in the jungle.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

"He killed the snake and went with the snake to the local health centre. 

The local health center does not know it? Or the doctors that took care of him? 

Not understand your question. But everyone knew what snake it was. So the health center decided to send him to the hospital, and in the hospital they gave him the correct (I hope) injections. But I know now the name only as "Brown Snake" 

I did not see the snake, and I did not see the bite. But according to my wife only one teeth penetrated the skin.

Arjen. 

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Cobras are not harmless.

Ok, lets say different, special the adult ones do not attack very fast. And when they atack something they can not eat, they bite without injecting poison.  Is this better.....?

Arjen.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Arjen said:

And when they atack something they can not eat, they bite without injecting poison. 

Known a 'dry bite'.

• Thanks 1

In Australia now, they only have one antivenom that covers all the deadly snakes there.

No need to carry a dead snake into ER with you or even remember what it looked like.

That's the way to go 🙂

Does sound like a pit viper. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

In Australia now, they only have one antivenom that covers all the deadly snakes there.

No need to carry a dead snake into ER with you or even remember what it looked like.

That's the way to go 🙂

Does sound like a pit viper. 

Good to know,

We keep ourself an antivenom in stock what protects against four different snakes.

But in fact we have it for the dogs. As veternarians do not always keep this in stock, and hospitals do not want to sell when they run low on stock.

Arjen.

• Like 1

Update, 

Not sure if it is interesting. Our worker has to stay a second night in hospital. 

I have also no idea if he is on the 30 Baht scheme, if we have to cover additional costs, if all is his own responsibility? 

My wife visited him last night in hospital, and will go tonight again. 

I have no idea if things are really so serious, or if the hospital is try to make some money now. 

Arjen

12 hours ago, Arjen said:
12 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Cobras are not harmless.

Ok, lets say different, special the adult ones do not attack very fast. And when they atack something they can not eat, they bite without injecting poison.  Is this better.....?

Arjen.

Difficult to see when they're in the grass, but easy when on concrete. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 10:21 AM, Arjen said:

The health center send the worker direct to the hospital.

The worker should have gone to the nearest government hospital straight away.  Only they stock snake anti-venins.  Time was wasted.

(Private hospitals don't stock them.  Only government ones.)

2 hours ago, Oxx said:

(Private hospitals don't stock them.  Only government ones.)

That is not correct. At least one private hospital keeps the anti venom in stock. 

Also some health centers here keep it in stock, but it is only administered by a doctor. As quite a high percentage of the people who receive this anti-venom have an allergic response on it. People die from the allergic response. 

Arjen

• Like 1