Frenchman plunges to his death taking selfie at Koh Samui waterfall

webfact

Frenchman plunges to his death taking selfie at Koh Samui waterfall

8pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A Frenchman was found dead at Na Muang 2 waterfall on Koh Samui after he slipped and fell while taking a selfie. 

It was the second death of a tourist under similar circumstances following a fatality involving a Spanish person at the same spot five months ago. 

Rescue teams took three hours to haul the dead body of the 31 year old up from a pool using a rope and harness. 

He had a fatal head injury as well as lacerations to his body. He was taken to Koh Samui hospital yesterday afternoon for autopsy. 

Samitsak - a representative of a tourist help center - told Thai Rath that the French man had come to Thailand to visit a compatriot in Nakhon Sri Thammarat and they had gone on a trip to the island together. 

They had walked up to level four at the waterfall about 800 meters from level 1.

The victim was taking a selfie when he slipped and fell, said Samitsak. 

Thai Rath noted that there are warning signs in the area. 

Five months ago a Spanish person taking a photograph was killed in the same spot. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-15

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tragic and senseless way to go. He was apparently with a friend who could easily have taken the photo, while he made sure of his footing.

Lots of people dying around the world paying more attention to the photo than their lives and not enough to the signs warning them of such danger. RIP.

27 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Every too often we hear about people losing their lives over a stupid acts of taking a selfies, as if life is not perilous enough as it is, now humanity has to deal with death as a results of new technologies...

I agree but think of how many have likely died on the roads here while using new technologies instead of looking where they are going.

30 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Every too often we hear about people losing their lives over a stupid acts of taking a selfies, as if life is not perilous enough as it is, now humanity has to deal with death as a results of new technologies...

How can you blame new technologies? This is entirely caused by the use of new technologies at the wrong place at the wrong time. With that said, a human error. It was not like the camera pushed the man to his death, was it?

Sadly another person has lost his life, out of a very stupid reason. Here there are even signs for people to read and be aware of the danger. Disregarding that, we read over and over about the same things happening. Woder when humanity is going to smarten up and learn something. One thing is totally clear. new technologies are slowing down our brain functions and makes mankind more and more like a sleepwalker.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Surprised there were only 2 deaths caused by selfie while driving.

Not thinking of selfies more those little 2" X 3" screens you see them looking at , some while riding on their scooters. If I am with my TW in the car and the phone rings I say to her take a message , I AM DRIVING. Can't afford to loose concentration on the roads here for 5 secs.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

How can you blame new technologies? This is entirely caused by the use of new technologies at the wrong place at the wrong time. With that said, a human error. It was not like the camera pushed the man to his death, was it?

Sadly another person has lost his life, out of a very stupid reason. Here there are even signs for people to read and be aware of the danger. Disregarding that, we read over and over about the same things happening. Woder when humanity is going to smarten up and learn something. One thing is totally clear. new technologies are slowing down our brain functions and makes mankind more and more like a sleepwalker.

Agreed. It's only going to get far worse with the advent of 5g and the exponential development of the IoT, unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Agreed. It's only going to get far worse with the advent of 5g and the exponential development of the IoT, unfortunately.

Yes, and the funny thing is that it has nothing to do with the new technology. In reality it´s just people getting more dumb.

46 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, and the funny thing is that it has nothing to do with the new technology. In reality it´s just people getting more dumb.

I would disagree there. I think there is a very strong argument for a link between the two, as do many.

People are becoming dumbed down in many instances because of excessive use of technology. Yes, you can of course use it to good effect by using it as tool to teach yourself and become better informed, as many people do including myself. But just as many people (in reality probably a lot more) all too often use technology to satisfy their own addictions to social media/gaming and other banal pursuits. The indulgence in such an array of mind-numbing vapidities - exhibit a - 'Candy Crush' is staggering today. There are hundreds if not thousands of examples, we can all think of many I'm sure. Before this tech existed a lot more people were forced to interact socially in person; rather than remotely, virtually or anonymously - much better for one's mental health and social ability/cognitive capacity too.  Fewer and fewer people read or devote time to intellectual pursuits these days, simultaenously the change in our now very dubious values and our radically reduced attention spans have in large part come about because of the advent of the social media age and the instant gratification culture that goes along with it.

Tech is near-solely responsible for this shift - well, our utter obsession with and dependence on it anyhow, but you can't have one without the other, can you?

Not to mention the exposure to EMR-RF (which wireless devices emit en-masse all day every day) has been shown to dull the senses in many animal test subjects as well as impair cognitive ability when subjects experienced overexposure to high frequency RW. There is a plethora of medical / scientific data out there from over 10,000 independent peer-reviewed studies which show evidence of the malign effects of overexposure to EMF-RF. We are insane to allow the rolling out 5g (totally untested) and for the IoT / smart-tech to take a hold of our lives even more than it already has.  

4 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

People are becoming dumbed down in many instances because of excessive use of technology.

The above sentence is the ground foundation of all the text you wrote in your quote. I sincerely thank you for elaborating as much as you did, but unfortunately it also falls on the first sentence.

You are trying to state that people are becoming dumbed down because of exessive use of technology. That must then beg the question: Do they not first have to be dumb enough to fall for and engage in excessive use of technology in the first place?

11 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

The above sentence is the ground foundation of all the text you wrote in your quote. I sincerely thank you for elaborating as much as you did, but unfortunately it also falls on the first sentence.

You are trying to state that people are becoming dumbed down because of exessive use of technology. That must then beg the question: Do they not first have to be dumb enough to fall for and engage in excessive use of technology in the first place?

Not at all, I mean this is just not even an argument to my mind.

'Do they not first have to be dumb enough to fall for and engage in excessive use of technology in the first place?'

You can make the same argument about any form of addiction my friend. Being unintelligent is not a prerequisite to becoming addicted to any manner of things - alcohol or drugs, sex, work - the list goes on. Many great and brilliant people have done and continue to.

The argument that you have to be stupid in the first place to engage in excessive use of technology is further flawed because of the simple fact that technology is literally everywhere today. You can hardly escape it, and in fact a large part of our work and personal lives are reliant on it - it is the very foundation of many professions today. Becoming obsessed with anything and thus forging an unhealthy reliance on it is something that can happen to anyone I would say and even more easily with technology than with most things because of its prevelance in the modern world, and its very nature - by which I mean we are becoming more and more reliant on it through integration of it into our daily lives.

It does perhaps take a certain amount of intellect and more importantly perspective to stop oneself becoming hopelessly addicted to unhealthy behaviours, but honestly - how many people do you know that aren't at least partially reliant on technology? Very few to none, I would suggest. How many do you know that are obsessed with it/have an unhealthy relationship with it? Plenty - I'm sure!

1 minute ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Not at all, I mean this is just not even an argument to my mind.

'Do they not first have to be dumb enough to fall for and engage in excessive use of technology in the first place?'

You can make the same argument about any form of addiction my friend. Being unintelligent is not a prerequisite to becoming addicted to any manner of things - alcohol or drugs, sex, work - the list goes on. Many great and brilliant people have done and continue to.

That you can try on somebody else. They are all same dumb in my book. It´s very strange that so many comes out and state that it was very dumb choices in their lifes, after they got free from thier addiction. Whatever that one might have been.

Archived