New Super Drug

Simbo

I read an article in the Daily Telegraph about a drug that has weight losing properties

Scientists have stumbled upon a 'super pill' that helps people lose weight and it could save the NHS millions in risky obesity surgery.

The drug. BETAHISTINE, has been safely used to treat vertigo for years, so could be available by the year 2009.

Because it is a known drug, no company owns the licence, meaning that it will only cost a few pence to buy.

It's weight loss properties were discovered by Dr Nir Barak, in a Televiv hospital.

In the first human trial, 20 volunteers shed almost 4Lbs a week for 3 months.

The drug works on a part of the brain know as a histamine receptor, sending signals to the stomach, telling it to take in less food. It also seems to create a dislike for fatty foods.

" It may take some time to find out how it works. What we do know, it does " said Dr Barak.

Dr Ian Cambell, of the British charity, Weight concern, says, "It's smashing, we may soon have a new drug to treat obesity.

" Surgery is very expensive and if another option can be found, then we welcome it "

When I read this, having a weight problem myself, which is/was getting out of hand, I went and bought some from Fascino Pharmasy. Pattaya.

The brand name is SERC 8gr or 16gr, I chose the 8gr. 100 pills cost 380 baht.

I read the leaflet. There are no side effects, but people with gastric problems, may experience some discomfort. You can drive.

I started taking them. 4 a day, spread out.

My appertite went on the first day. I now eat a fraction of what I did before, and have started losing weight. As yet, I haven't got a weighing machine, but I have started wearing clothes I have not worn for a long time and I feel so much better.

if I were to exercise, I would probably lose weight much quicker.

Hope this is of use to you.

Hope it works. Keep us posted. When I left Romania, I left all the sport activities I was doing. Snow skiing and mountain biking and I gained about 20 kgs. It freaks me out and almost had a tear when I discovered that I'll need XL shirts and 38 jeans :o:D . I need something and I need something quck, going to the gym bores me as all activity has no point, I feel like a lab rat on that running machine or bycicle and if running outside it's too hot, a little bit of swimming it's about all my activity. Hope this drug works, I haven't tried any before, but I guess I'll start now. Thanks for the tip, Simba! BTW, what exactly should one ask at the pharmacy in rder to get this?

Edited by alexth

I hope it works for you and the side effects are minimal. I’ve asked a pharmacist friend for information on SERC as i'm interested in the results too. They advise caution and said the drug can cause addiction. It is similar to Diazepam.

It’s also known as Serax. The side effects are listed here. http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/oxazepam_ad.htm

Good luck with your weight loss.

I hope it works for you and the side effects are minimal. I’ve asked a pharmacist friend for information on SERC as i'm interested in the results too. They advise caution and said the drug can cause addiction. It is similar to Diazepam.

It’s also known as Serax. The side effects are listed here. http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/oxazepam_ad.htm

Good luck with your weight loss.

RXlist appears to be confusing two different drugs. SERC is nothing to do with Serax or Diazepam:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002366.html

Thanks for that Endure. It appears web searches come up with the same information you mention.

They were searching on a pharmacists web site too and it carried the same information as rxlist.

This is good news for me, i've been looking to lose a bit of weight without nasty side effects.

Betahistine is a synthetic drug closely resembling histamine, the substance resposnible for allergic reactions. It has been used for some time to treat inner ear disturbances (dizziness, ringing in the ears). It is not at all addictive. Common side effects are headache and stomach upset.

Because of its similiarity to histamine it is not recommended for people with asthma or history of serious allergic reactions.

There have to date been no reported serious adverse effects, but since its use has been for relatively uncommon things, not that large a population has ever used it....this may change if indeed it causes weight loss.

Mainly what I'd be worried about, given the drug's propoerties, is a severe allergic reaxtion or flare-up of asthma in susceptible people.

Betahistine hydrochloride is the generic name for the anti vertigo drug SERC. It was first registered in Europe in 1970 for the treatment of Ménière's disease. It is commonly prescribed for people who have balance disorders or to alleviate the vertigo symptoms associated with Ménière's disease.

Betahistine is available in 8mg or 16mg tablets taken 3 times daily. Doses may be adjusted to between 24-48mg a day as needed. It is contraindicated for people with peptic stomach ulcers or tumours of the adrenal gland. People with bronchial asthma should be closely monitored.

Chemistry and Pharmacokinetics

Betahistine chemically is 2-[2-(methylamino) ethyl] pyridine, and is formulated as the dihydrochloride salt. Its structure closely resembles that of histamine.

Betahistine comes in tablet form and should be taken orally. It is rapidly and completely absorbed. The mean plasma half-life is 3-4 hours, and excretion is virtually complete in the urine within 24 hours. Plasma protein binding is very low.

Betahistine is transformed into aminoethylpyridine and hydroxyethylpyridine and excreted with the urine as pyridylacetic acid. There is some evidence that one of these metabolites, aminoethylpyridine, may not be inactive and exerts effects similar to those of betahistine on ampullar receptors.[1]

A new use may be in the field of obesity management. Dr Nir Barak, of the Rabin Medical Centre in Tel Aviv has undertaken trials and it is reported (Telegraph, UK, 19 February 2007) that volunteers lost better than 1.5 Kg/week over twelve weeks and experienced a distaste for fatty foods.

Mode of Action

Betahistine has a very strong affinity for histamine H3 receptors and a weak affinity for histamine H1 receptors. Betahistine seems to dilate the blood vessels within the middle ear which can relieve pressure from excess fluid and act on the smooth muscle.

The mode of action of betahistine was believed to be a direct stimulating (agonistic) effect on H1 receptors located on blood vessels in the inner ear. This would give rise to local vasodilation and increased permeability, which would help reverse the underlying problem of endolympathic hydrops.

In addition, betahistine has a powerful antagonistic effects at H3 receptors, and increases the levels of neurotransmitters released from the nerve endings. This is thought to have two consequences;

* the increased amounts of histamine released from histaminergic nerve endings can stimulate H1 receptors, thus augmenting the direct agonistic effects of betahistine on these receptors. This explains the potent vasodilatory effects of betahistine in the inner ear, which are well documented.

* it is postulated that betahistine increases the levels of neurotransmitters such as serotonin in the brainstem, which inhibits the activity of vestibular nuclei. Means, betahistine reduce the firing rate of vestibular nuclei in the brain.

Side Effects

* No sedation/drowsiness

* Doesn't impair driving performance

* Low level of gastric side effects

* No significant antidopaminergic effects

* Nausea can be a side effect, but the patient is generally already experiencing nausea due to the vertigo so it goes largely unnoticed.

Edited by pumpuiman

Simbo, any updates? Are you still slimming?

Yes. I'm still taking them. On my second months supply now and still losing weight.

The great thing about them is, one doesn't feel hungry all the time. Of course, one has to eat, but one gets satisfied after a small amount I find I dont eat at all between breakfast and dinner at around 5pm. Then I only eat a small amount.

My problem is, I like a drink. I haven't changed this habit, so the weight will come off slower. I'm treating it as long term project. I've been on crash diets before, but put the weight back on as soon as I stopped.

The only side effect I am experiencing, is increased vigour in all things. :o

I have been taking Serc for several years ( 3 x day) for Menieres disease (inner ear balance thing). Frankly I haven't noticed the appetite suppresant qualities recently claimed in this thread but it has done a good job in helping me keep vertigo in check. Based on my experience, and the advice of my pharmacist, I would say it it is very benign.

Edited by popshirt

• 2 weeks later...

Are you saying it has a stimulant effect, a la amphetamines?

No, I'm saying, because of the weight loss, I am not carrying the same as before, therefore. I feel more vigourous :D

Yes. I'm still taking them. On my second months supply now and still losing weight.

How much wieght have you lost overall?

Not absolutely sure, because I never kept a check at first. I am now, bought scales. About 1k per week. As I said, I like my beer, so that is slowing things up.

I'm happy with the progress.

I've lost about 9 kilos in the last 25 days and feel great. Just lots of walking and eating really healthy food - no coffee or sugar! I'd sure stay away from drugs. Just make a few simple lifestyle changes and enjoy.

I have always eaten healthy food, apart from red meat. Maybe too much, but good stuff. Exercise is my down fall. I can't seem to get motivated here, It's too hot, and no pavements, dogs snapping at my feet, walking is not a good option. I do realise, dieting without exercise is not the way and I will have to do something. I have seen reasonably priced dumbells in Big C. I may buy some. or even join a gym.

I read an article in the Daily Telegraph about a drug that has weight losing properties

Scientists have stumbled upon a 'super pill' that helps people lose weight and it could save the NHS millions in risky obesity surgery.

12 hour Sudafed also has appetite reducing qualities. Cannot get it in Thailand though, but it's sold across the counter in the UK, the US and Australia.

12 hour Sudafed also has appetite reducing qualities. Cannot get it in Thailand though, but it's sold across the counter in the UK, the US and Australia.

I have seen Sudafed for sale most places in Bkk & Chiang Mai, I recall..

http://asiafriendfinder.com/go/g822024-pmem

I have seen Sudafed for sale most places in Bkk & Chiang Mai, I recall..

I must have been looking in the wrong places, pharmacies. When you run across it again, check that it's 12 hour Non-Drowsy Sudafed, with Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride.

You can read more about it at Life Hacker. Just google '12 hour sudafed hunger Lifehacker'

I bought a bunch in the UK and it works fine. Doubly fine as have allergies.

They do keep an eye on who's buying it though, especially in Australia.

Edited by desi

Last time I was in the States I noticed that the sudafed was in a locked cabinet and you had to ask the employee to open it up for you. Guess they are really keeping an eye on the purchasers.

I also read the article about this "new" drug and took it for about 10 days. I felt aboslutely no appetite supression..if anything I was more hungry! Also, as i sometimes get hay fever, after about 6 days,I was getting really strong allergies which i think was brought on by the betahistine.

######! Back to the gym!

Last time I was in the States I noticed that the sudafed was in a locked cabinet and you had to ask the employee to open it up for you. Guess they are really keeping an eye on the purchasers.

Apparently they can be mixed with something, so the governments are keeping an eye on them. Not sure what it is.

I'll have to admit I tried them for several days, then quit. They do work really well for taking away hunger pains and forgetting about food. But if anything makes me tired or feel odd, I'm done unless it's just for a day or two.

For my weight loss I'm not using drugs. I've dramatically changed how I eat, and have added more exercise by using an air walker (love those things!) and taking short walks when it's not too hot. Weight loss? Five pounds since Saturday.

The great thing about them is, one doesn't feel hungry all the time. Of course, one has to eat, but one gets satisfied after a small amount I find I dont eat at all between breakfast and dinner at around 5pm. Then I only eat a small amount.

My problem is, I like a drink. I haven't changed this habit, so the weight will come off slower. I'm treating it as long term project. I've been on crash diets before, but put the weight back on as soon as I stopped.

is it easy to get hold off over here?regards

Apparently they can be mixed with something, so the governments are keeping an eye on them. Not sure what it is.

Sudafed can be used as the base for making methaphetamine.

Sudafed can be used as the base for making methaphetamine.

I just googled ("Revised Patriot Act targets allergy, cold meds March 7, 2006").

Looks like the Americans are going to have a tough time if they suffer monthly from colds or allergies.

Edited by desi

• 2 weeks later...

is it easy to get hold off over here?regards

I buy from FASCINO on the north road, opposite TESCO LOTUS. It comes under the name of SERC 8grm 400b for 100 pills. 380 if you ask for a card.

I eat 2 small meals a day. Nothing inbetween, besides tea or coffee. I am losing weight, but I still drink beer, same as before, so this is slowing the loss. I'm not too bothered how long it takes, as long as the weight is coming off. which it is.

I have no hunger pangs, were as before, I was starving if I didn't eat regularly.

No side effects in the 10 weeks I have been taking them. And I've lost more than 10 kilos. :o