New Super Drug

Simbo

Simbo, keep us updated on your diet.

My weight loss has slowed down. Mainly, because I have eaten out socially on a few occassions. Also, as I have previously stated, my drinking habits have not changed one iota. I seem to be stuck on 95kilos. However, I still feel so much better, and as long as the weight is stable or coming off very slowly, I'm happy.

I have stopped getting weighed as often. Now leaving it for at least one week.

I'll keep you informed of my progress, if any, at a later date.

My weight loss has slowed down. Mainly, because I have eaten out socially on a few occassions. Also, as I have previously stated, my drinking habits have not changed one iota. I seem to be stuck on 95kilos. However, I still feel so much better, and as long as the weight is stable or coming off very slowly, I'm happy.

95 kg on a 1.5 meter tall or 1.9 meter tall....there is quite a difference. :o

There seem to be plateaus in almost every regime for weight loss- I'd guess that part of it is that the body "adjusts" to the regime in a way which counters it. I'd suggest making another sudden (positive) change, like exercising a little more or cutting down on the drinking. That would most likely kickstart you down to the next plateau. Congrats on the success! Unfortunately, as I am allergy-prone I am not a good candidate for this type of medicine.

I've lost the 13 kilos now (took about 8 weeks) and have been holding steady for the last week. I'm eating really healthy and still exercising daily, but not like I was for the weight loss. I feel great and encourage everyone to knock the junk food out of your diet and try to eat very nutrient rich foods that are low in calories. It's mind-blowing after a while! I could lose about 2 - 3 kilos more to be super fit, but I'm going to take my time and enjoy the ride now! Changing bad habits is a one day at a time occupation, the results accumulate as long as you stay on your chosen path. Remember the four noble truths and use your knowledge of them to your full advantage!

DrFisher, didn't England push tobacco first? Anyways this thread is about weightloss. This thread's drug has yet to be proven as a 'success'

This drug Serc or betahistamine seems to have the same effect as ActiFed has on me. I feel very calm and loose my appetite when I take an ActiFed but at the moment I'm not planning on taking it often. You just never know what drugs do to you. The whole thing is interesting though.

• 2 months later...

Simbo,

How has your diet been going? I see you haven't posted to this thread in quite a while. Still loosing weight?

I thought I would give Serc a try so after a little reseach online I went out a bought a box. What dosage are you taking?

Has anyone else here tried this and had any luck?

• 2 months later...
Last time I was in the States I noticed that the sudafed was in a locked cabinet and you had to ask the employee to open it up for you. Guess they are really keeping an eye on the purchasers.

Apparently they can be mixed with something, so the governments are keeping an eye on them. Not sure what it is.

I'll have to admit I tried them for several days, then quit. They do work really well for taking away hunger pains and forgetting about food. But if anything makes me tired or feel odd, I'm done unless it's just for a day or two.

For my weight loss I'm not using drugs. I've dramatically changed how I eat, and have added more exercise by using an air walker (love those things!) and taking short walks when it's not too hot. Weight loss? Five pounds since Saturday.

I believe they are used in the preparation of crystal meth or 'yaba' as it is called in Thailand when mixed with speed. Probably the reason you have problems getting them locally.

Simbo,

Are you still taking the betahistine? If so, does it still seem to keep your appetite in check? Any side effects?

I'm getting desperate and thinking of trying it myself............closetful of clothes that no longer fit!!

Not sure if Xenical is available in Thailand. Prescribed by doctors in the UK for weight loss.

Helps prevent absorption of oil / fat into the body.

I lost a kilo + a month using Xenical. Lost 49 pounds in weight over 18 months. I was also out drinking 2 nights on a weekend over that period too and had little exercise due to problems with mobility.

273 pounds (19 1/2 stone) down to 224 pounds (16 stone).

One problem being that the drug helps prevent absorption of fat into the system so that fat has to go somewhere - down the toilet !! :o

Since I stopped taking Xenical 2 years or so ago I have not put on any significant amounts of weight. I feel the body adjusts over time.

Yes, I still drink weekends.

Not sure if Xenical is available in Thailand.

Xenical can be easily gotten in various pharmacies around BKK but is more expensive than it actually costs elsewhere. The FDA recently approved an OTC version of Xenical called Alli (trade name for the drug Olistat which is what Xenical is) which is almost half the price of Xenical. The fact that it can be bought over the counter unlike Xenical is an extra boon to many.

Another new drug making the news is Rimonabant which according to it's blurb "works by selectively blocking CB1 receptors found in the brain and in peripheral organs important in glucose and lipid (or fat) metabolism and also helps to decrease one dependency on nicotine." This goes by the trade name of Accomplia in Europe but there are already several generic versions of it flooding the pharmaceutical market. I haven't tried it but it's on it's way.

Apparently it stops the munchies in a HUGE way and that is exactly what I'm looking for right now. I snack like the world is coming to an end and can consume my weight in chocolate, this I kid you not. True story: 3 weeks ago, I received 18 bars of various types of chocolate sweetly sent to me by a chum in Switzerland. In less than a week, said chocolate was no more. I am ashamed, deeply ashamed, not because every last one of the 18 bars disappeared in a week but because not one delicious morsel was shared with anyone, not even my lil sis, whom I love to death. Yes, my self-control is non-existent in the face of this brown stuff. It truly owns me.

Which is when I realised I needed help. =p

Xenical is good stuff but only produced results when I'm on a high-fat diet. YMMV and all.

Between diet aids and insomnia meds, I'm really quite surprised I'm not yet permanently comatose. :o

p.s I do not advocate a lifestyle of prescribed drugs/medication unless you're under the supervision of a doctor or feel that you've exhausted every other possible avenue and this is your last resort.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, after finding Serc locally and cheap, I tried it out for a few days. Then after a break, I tried it again.

I'm not sure if this came from the drugs, but I was certainly eating less. Not enormously less, just noticeable. And oddly, everything tasted wonderful. So, either I turned into an amazing cook for those short times. Or this drug lowers your appetite while somehow making everything taste better. Or, by eating less, my taste buds were naturally coming into the the picture.

Continuing Serc after reading about four deaths doesn't really appeal to me though. Natural or not.

What does appeal to me is paying better attention to my health. Google the article from the BBC that states "Healthy living can add 14 years". It's not new news. But the way I read it, if I keep doing what I'm doing now, I have a good chance of cutting my life by 10 - 14 years.

So I'm going to pass on the drugs.

To keep to their advice, I'll cut back my drinking to a bottle of wine plus a beer a week. I'll make sure I eat at least the stated five servings of fruit and vegetables per day. And I"ll get my butt away from computers for at least a half hour a day.

Wish me well.

• 2 weeks later...

I was curious and bought a box last week of the SERC. I take a few a day, trying to do so before meals. I would say that it does reduce appetite, and have dropped a couple pounds since. However, I have been dieting and exercising regularly anyway and have been losing weight so I don't know how effective it is really.

It's cheap and relatively safe so I would say try it out for yourself and see what you think.

• 5 weeks later...

I tried SERC last week. Didn't suppress my appetite at all on low dose (8 mg 3-4 times a day) and I was unable to try at a higher dose due to unpleasant side effects with even the low dose: musculoskeltal aches/joint pains bad enough to disturb my sleep. :o

But that's just me, majority of people apparently tolerate the drug OK. I tend to be sensitive to medications which affect the central nervous system.

• 2 months later...

How about cutting your sugar, glucose syrups etc down to zero. And cutting out all carbs after midday. And stopping aspartame sweetened drinks, and stopping all unfermented thyroid-disrupting carcinogenic soy. How about getting off all the toxic synthetic pharmaceutical sh1t. (Including any new PILLS), How about doing some exercise, say just 15 minutes a day. Say a 3 minute warmup, 90sec sprint, then one minute slow, repeated 4 times, then a three minute cool down. That will keepyour fat furnace going for 18 hours. One Kilo a week till you are ripped.

Hey Thomsat....that is truly sound advice. Great stuff....especially the bit about the HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).....very astute of you to include the benefit that this type of exercise continues to burn calories long after the end of the relatively "short" workout.

I'd love to see more great tips like that......and that said, I'd still like to hear an update from any of our SERC taking friends. How's SERC doing for ya'? How long have you been taking it? What dosage and time(s) of day?

CHEERS!

D

I just lost 20 pounds in a month following the atkins diet. Basically no carbs or at least under 10-15 grams a day, consisting mostly of salad.

Lost of meat eggs fish cheese and lettuce salad.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Simbo, any updates? Are you still slimming?

Yes. I'm still taking them. On my second months supply now and still losing weight.

The great thing about them is, one doesn't feel hungry all the time. Of course, one has to eat, but one gets satisfied after a small amount I find I dont eat at all between breakfast and dinner at around 5pm. Then I only eat a small amount.

My problem is, I like a drink. I haven't changed this habit, so the weight will come off slower. I'm treating it as long term project. I've been on crash diets before, but put the weight back on as soon as I stopped.

The only side effect I am experiencing, is increased vigour in all things. :D

Simbo

Where are you getting the Betahistine hydrochloride? Are you in Thailand? Did I miss something.. :o

• 1 year later...
Hey Thomsat....that is truly sound advice. Great stuff....especially the bit about the HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).....very astute of you to include the benefit that this type of exercise continues to burn calories long after the end of the relatively "short" workout.

I'd love to see more great tips like that......and that said, I'd still like to hear an update from any of our SERC taking friends. How's SERC doing for ya'? How long have you been taking it? What dosage and time(s) of day?

CHEERS!

D

I have been taking Serc 8mg three times a day for the last 5 weeks, the first day I couldn't sleep but that went away,I am not hungry anymore and eat less if my wife wasn't cooking all the time I would lose more wieght. I have one side effect I wake like I did went I was 2o, for this reason I will continue to take them, but I only bought two months supply and can't find in Issan and they do stop you from being hungry.Anyone else have anymore news on Serc.

• 4 months later...

You can buy SERC Betahistine at Fascino Pharmacy in Pattaya, North Pattaya Road (Pattaya Nua) opposite of Tesco Lotus.

Price for 100 tablets, 8mg is 432,- Baht.

Producer is Solvay Pharmaceuticals, France

Imported by Solvay Thailand Limited, Bangkok