BANGKOK
keith101

exchange rate and immigration

With the exchange rate on the aussie dollar going down all the time it looks like I will end up around 14,000 baht short of the 40,000 per month requirement so what chances of immigration being lenient and giving me another 1 yr extension ? New application has to be done by January 7 .

I suppose an option would Savanakhet but not sure if they have the same financial requirements now or not ?

Edited by keith101
spelling

no financials at savannakhet for 'married' non imm O visa, overnight stay required, apply by 11am collect after 2pm next day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've seen posts by a very few number of people that got leniency when they missed by a small amount for one month. 14,000 short of 40,000 is not a small amount. How long have you been short the required amount? Is this going to continue as long as the exchange rate stays what it is? 

• Sad 1

consider using an agent until you're back up above 40k, they don't seem to be very lenient, a bit like Ming the Merciless

• Sad 2

The Bht 40k per month does not fluctuate with the exchange rate if you keep an eye on the rate, 40 = 40. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Martyp said:

I've seen posts by a very few number of people that got leniency when they missed by a small amount for one month. 14,000 short of 40,000 is not a small amount. How long have you been short the required amount? Is this going to continue as long as the exchange rate stays what it is? 

40,000 per month equals 480,000 per year so 14,000 or just over 1,000 per month from that is what I am talking about

Edited by keith101

1 minute ago, keith101 said:

40,000 per month equals 480,000 per year so 14,000 from that is what I am talking about

Perhaps combo method could be used, can you use a balance instead? so 800,000 - (480,000-14,000) = 334,000?

2 minutes ago, keith101 said:

40,000 per month equals 480,000 per year so 14,000 or just over 1,000 per month from that is what I am talking about

Immigration will accept 12 x 40k for marriage or 12 x 65k for retirement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Perhaps combo method could be used, can you use a balance instead? so 800,000 - (480,000-14,000) = 334,000?

I am going to ask my IO at P'lok if they will accept the combo of 12 x 45k plus 260k in the bank, and whether the 45k can be spent when needed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, keith101 said:

40,000 per month equals 480,000 per year so 14,000 from that is what I am talking about

So your actually saying the shortfall is a fraction over 1000 baht per month?

About four years ago, after the UK pound had been dropping, a temporary dip in the rental income  on my house meant at one extension application my 65k income dipped to 63.5k pm. Jomtien never said anything at all. 

13 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

About four years ago, after the UK pound had been dropping, a temporary dip in the rental income  on my house meant at one extension application my 65k income dipped to 63.5k pm. Jomtien never said anything at all. 

you would have been getting a letter from the embassy then. not monthly payments in the bank

• Like 2

Do note that, for a marriage extension an average of 40k per month is required. Sum up your monthly transfers to date and see whether you're likely to hit the target of 40k X 12 being 480K over the year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

Thanks for clarifying that. As others have said, if you are short a month or two then you have a reason to plead your case, tell them you found the error, have corrected it and it won't happen again. If however, you are planning to ask for leniency until the exchange rate changes in your favor then I don't think they will go for that. If you are that close to the line for monthly income requirement then you need to transfer more than the minimum amount as a buffer to exchange rates and check monthly. Even if you are allowed an average of 40k/month you need to watch it closely. Watching changes in exchange rates is your responsibility. 

Edited by Martyp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

Do not live so close to the edge then, make sure the rental is say 66k, have a buffer in your UK (?) account to amke up for any changes in rate.

Sorry Martyp, I posted before i read your reply. I do not think you are allowed an average of 40k or 65k, that is a MINIMUM figure. If it was average you could transfer say 1000 for 11 months and then make it up to 40k or 800k in the last one. No, no! 

Edited by wgdanson