Race to find alternative bio-substances as ban on 3 farm chemicals approaches

webfact

Race to find alternative bio-substances as ban on 3 farm chemicals approaches

IMG_6133.png

With two weeks to go before the ban on the use of paraquat, glyphosate and chlorpyrifos comes into force, officials are speeding up their efforts to find effective alternative substances, especially for the two herbicides.

The working committee, tasked with finding the alternatives and headed by Agriculture Permanent Secretary Anant Suwanrat, has made it clear that the alternatives must not be chemicals.

Currently, there are 73 bio products approved by the Agricultural Technique Department, which have been proved to be effective in controlling insects and plant diseases, but they are not effective against weeds.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/race-to-find-alternative-bio-substances-as-ban-on-3-farm-chemicals-approaches/

thaipbs.jpg

crazy idea :  thailand goes green and don't use any dangerous chemical herbi/pesti/fungicides ?

can they not go to ask other countries what they use instead or it has to be a THAI "invention", you know, something people use for decades already, but new discovered by thai researcher

3 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Hmmm.  Ban something before researching and educating farmers about the alternatives... brilliant.  Stick it to the farmers one more time.

This is what I was going to say.......

Folks think about the current situation......

The use of chemicals in farming has been taught to the Thai farmers for the last 100 years...To expect farmers to all the sudden have a new farming method in place in a few months is crazy....And all the greenies cheering this on need to get their vegetarian tofu eating birkenstock wearing asses out in the fields and start pulling weeds for 12 hours a day for 300 baht......

This whole thing is udder madness and insanity and a true human rights violation.....Might as well just go out and shoot the farmers,if you steal their job you steal their life.. 

4 hours ago, fforest1 said:

This is what I was going to say.......

Folks think about the current situation......

The use of chemicals in farming has been taught to the Thai farmers for the last 100 years...To expect farmers to all the sudden have a new farming method in place in a few months is crazy....And all the greenies cheering this on need to get their vegetarian tofu eating birkenstock wearing asses out in the fields and start pulling weeds for 12 hours a day for 300 baht......

This whole thing is udder madness and insanity and a true human rights violation.....Might as well just go out and shoot the farmers,if you steal their job you steal their life.. 

Allowing them to continue poisoning themself and everyone else to death and also destroy the organic and food prep industries is a better alternative, of course. Brilliant. 

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

What are other countries which have banned these substances using?

The big problem is that these countries do not know what to use to replace these very harmful substances for human and animal health.
I see a solution: return to the culture of our ancestors, extensive culture and jachere to let the soil rest.

40 some years ago I worked with Thai farmers when I was a Peace Corps volunteer.  I had a couple occasions where I had to find an appropriate insecticide.  It worried me greatly as there were stupid folks who were using very deadly stuff even then.  And mixing it at much higher strengths than necessary.  Hey, mix it right and the bugs stop eating almost immediately and are dead in a day or two.  Who cares how long it takes them to die?  They mixed it strong enough to kill bugs in less than 5 minutes.  And they were wearing shorts and flip-flops while spraying.  No wonder they complained about their health and poisoning symptoms.  Then they'd rinse off the little plastic insecticide bottles and give them to their kids to play with.  No kidding. 

15 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

The big problem is that these countries do not know what to use to replace these very harmful substances for human and animal health.
I see a solution: return to the culture of our ancestors, extensive culture and jachere to let the soil rest.

Before chemical herbicide they used fire. I bought a kit and will try it in about 2 weeks and make a video. Contrary to the appearance, weeds are not burned but simply heated for a short time. Soil life under 1mm is not affected. 

Some new interesting technology that I found are

steam weeding:

soil disturbance:

electric weeding:

Sure none of these method are cheaper than chemical herbicide but it's not true that there is no alternative.

3 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Sure none of these method are cheaper than chemical herbicide but it's not true that there is no alternative.

I never wrote that ,  but:

" The big problem is that these countries do not know what to use to replace ... "

Now they know what to use ..

Thank you ..:jap:

1 minute ago, Assurancetourix said:

I never wrote that ,  but:

" The big problem is that these countries do not know what to use to replace ... "

Now they know what to use ..

Thank you ..:jap:

My comment wasn't really directed at you. Personally, I think it will go like Bangladesh when they banned glyphosate then backtracked because they had no alternative. Thailand will need to invest in machinery and farmer education or pray for Monsanto to find an alternative. 

Archived