BANGKOK
thailandsgreat

"remind me to do it", hai

Looks like dtʉʉan hai pom tam is the way to go.

image.png.38a6f3af26ba3a6dc6289ea30f86088b.png

Ignore the picture below. It's a duplicate, but the system won't let me delete it.

image.png

Edited by Exploring Thailand
Trying to get rid of the duplicate picture, but it won't let me.
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Ignore the picture below. It's a duplicate, but the system won't let me delete it.

That is a brilliant technique!

1 hour ago, Exploring Thailand said:

I also get stuck in the browser. A couple of weeks ago the TV-app worked but I can't log in with it any more.

Does it depend on what we are reminded to do?

g5Jduxx.jpg

t3wjkmb.jpg

It took a while before I found out I must set "desktop mode" to see # hits in Google from the phone.

Edit

Using quotes

cCOMoFo.jpg

(Guess: Google does not take the quotes into account for a longer search term??)

Edited by thailandsgreat

My girlfriend usually talks about something which she has to do, and then finished the sentence with something like เตือนฉันด้วย, i understand this part as "remind me to do it"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

I also get stuck in the browser. A couple of weeks ago the TV-app worked but I can't log in with it any more.

Does it depend on what we are reminded to do?

g5Jduxx.jpg

t3wjkmb.jpg

It took a while before I found out I must set "desktop mode" to see # hits in Google from the phone.

Edit

Using quotes

cCOMoFo.jpg

(Guess: Google does not take the quotes into account for a longer search term??)

I tried it on my phone. The first time Google offered to set a reminder! It's getting too clever. The second time it returned no hits. I don't know why there it is behaving differently for you and me. I didn't set Desktop-mode. I just typed it in.

6 hours ago, Exploring Thailand said:

I tried it on my phone. The first time Google offered to set a reminder! It's getting too clever. The second time it returned no hits. I don't know why there it is behaving differently for you and me. I didn't set Desktop-mode. I just typed it in.

The numbers I get seem very high, it could have treated the words individually and not as a sentence (to reduce processing time?). But I have this from an app:

tHIiubt.jpg

dtʉʉan pom hai ...

So I was curious about the function of hai. It seems to come both before and after the person being reminded.

Edited by thailandsgreat

10 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

The numbers I get seem very high, it could have treated the words individually and not as a sentence (to reduce processing time?). But I have this from an app:

dtʉʉan pom hai ...

So I was curious about the function of hai. It seems to come both before and after the person being reminded.

Hai has a lot of uses. Hai <someone><do something> means to get or allow someone to do something.  <do something> hai <someone> means do something for someone. 

• Like 2

On 11/15/2019 at 1:38 PM, Exploring Thailand said:

image.png

Does this come from an app? I see that it is used to show which construction is more common but where does it get the information?  

I am trying to see why one should be more acceptable than the other since later, by adding telephone the landlord both positions of ให้ appear to be equally acceptable. 

Incidentally there is no difference in the translation of either one, ‘remind me to do”. 

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

Does this come from an app?

The sentences in the first post I constructed since I believe I have heard "hai" both before and after the person being reminded. But I am not sure how the actual sentences continued.

The sentence about phoning the landlord comes from an app. Here the "hai" comes after the person being reminded.

Edited by thailandsgreat

I was asking about the corpus, from which the data on usage comes, in order to decide how useful it is. 

Don’t you find it strange that your two examples when entered in that resource should get such different results but the two later examples, each with the same syntax but more context, produce an equal number of results? 

21 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I was asking about the corpus, from which the data on usage comes, in order to decide how useful it is. 

Don’t you find it strange that your two examples when entered in that resource should get such different results but the two later examples, each with the same syntax but more context, produce an equal number of results

The app is Ling. "Master Monkey Thai teacher"

Yes. I commented on that. I doubt the 40+ million hits. But I trusted the app. I can just say it "looks well made"

Right now I can not find a Thai person to explain which sentences are correct and if they differ in meaning.

15 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Does this come from an app? I see that it is used to show which construction is more common but where does it get the information?  

They're just screen shots Google search results. Putting quotes around a word or expression tells Google to search for exactly that phrase. So, if it is working as advertised, the Google index of the entire internet has 16,100 occurrences of the first search term and just 6 of the second one. I put the red numbers on myself to marry up with thailandgreat's post.

On 11/15/2019 at 4:48 PM, Exploring Thailand said:

I changed from chrome to firefox and the improvement was brilliant...no more p** u** or a*****s.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Exploring Thailand said:

They're just screen shots Google search results. Putting quotes around a word or expression tells Google to search for exactly that phrase. So, if it is working as advertised, the Google index of the entire internet has 16,100 occurrences of the first search term and just 6 of the second one. I put the red numbers on myself to marry up with thailandgreat's post.

Thank’s.  I suppose it is useful in that you should never hear คนไทยไม่พูด if you check everything before uttering it.

In this case it says that we should discount เตือนผมให้ทำ in favour of เตือนให้ผมทำ but that we should accept either เตือนให้ผม and เตือนผมให้ when the เตือน is expanded upon. 

For the sake of discussion I put Remind me to do it In Thai-language.com forum and got พรุ่งนี้เตือนให้ผมทำด้ยวนะ 

is there any difference between Remind me tomorrow to do it OK?  and Remind me to do it tomorrow OK?  

The translation given in T-L.com says that the task will be done tomorrow. 

I post this to say that it is a question of parlance, do you see any difference in the English versions? 

If the task was to be done tomorrow I would say that พรุ่งนี้ should be closer to the verb ทำ .  ช่วยเตือนผมให้ทำพรุ่งนี้ด้วยนะ or ช่วยเตือนให้ผมทำพรุ่งนี้นะ 

If you took the Thai to a native speaker of Thai I bet the reaction would be the same as if I took the English to a native speaker of English; both people would know to what ทำ = it refers or (...know what ทำ=it refers to)   so the meaning would be clear.   ให้ helps a verb but which one? I would say both เตือน and ทำ so it doesn’t matter where it goes. 

If noting else I am sure that the meaning of ให้ is firmly fixed in people’s mind now!