BANGKOK
jameskeats

Well water - how to purify for drinking

Hello everyone

We have a 60 meter deep well in our place in Mae On, providing us with water for cleaning and washing. It's has a lot of limescale and it often stinks. We would like to turn it into drinkable water if possible, or a least something we can use for cooking. We're surrounded by rice paddies (they spread a lot of chemicals there) but we also have a river flowing next to our house.

My question is, would a RO system do? Is it good enough to remove all possible chemicals and heavy metals? Or do I need additional filters for that.

I kindly ask that only those who have a direct experience with purifying well water here in the area of Chiang Mai answer. I've researched a lot and I've only found conflicting information about what I should do. I was thinking of getting my water tested but that's a lot and if RO removes the vast majority of impurities anyway, I would simply go straight for that.

• Haha 1

We are out near Mae Rim and have a well although not as deep as yours.We pump up to a tank and then it gets filtered through the large blue Thai style filters x 2.This is then clean enough for using in the house.We have another filter with outside the big house and the water is fine for cooking/showering etc.In the kitchen we have a RO system and thats used for drinking water.Had this system for nearly twenty years now and no health issues.Obviously the usual filter material changes and backflush the filters once a week.

Hope this helps.cheers

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jameskeats said:

My question is, would a RO system do?

Its impossible to say definitively without a proper check on the water itself by a lab and I have no clue how to do that in Thailand, however, I do have well water and use an RO system to drink the well water very similar to this one:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/star-pure-5-reverse-osmosis-ro-50gpd-3-3-ppcors-waterway1992-i7960567-s360429003.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.43.1c2d3f2cSaws8K&search=1

I setup mine by the kitchen sink and just refill plastic bottles and pop them into the fridge. I use it for cooking and making coffee but everything else is done by unfiltered water. Shower, brush teeth etc is all unfiltered. 

It is the exact same system that those little water dispensing machines use on the side of the road - only a smaller scale and kept clean by you. 

• Like 1

You will not know what is the quality of your water unless you test it.

That being said, lime can be removed.

Stinks of what ? Testing will tell you.

To not get it tested ... UP 2 U

We test our well water yearly. What is your health worth ?

• Like 2

With all these methods of filtration,RO,U.V. ,Ozone, you must

remember to do strict maintenance,filters need regular cleaning,

UV tubes changed at regular intervals,forget to do that could

put your health at risk. 

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

We test our well water yearly.

Where do you get your water tested at? 

9 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

You will not know what is the quality of your water unless you test it.

That being said, lime can be removed.

Stinks of what ? Testing will tell you.

To not get it tested ... UP 2 U

We test our well water yearly. What is your health worth ?

Could you please name the institute testing the water ? I want to do the same but have no idea where.

Thanks...

Just now, worgeordie said:

With all these methods of filtration,RO,U.V. ,Ozone, you must

remember to do strict maintenance,filters need regular cleaning,

UV tubes changed at regular intervals,forget to do that could

put your health at risk. 

This is True, but don't forget that if anyone is getting their drinking water from the village in those cheap plastic bottles then you are basically relying on someone else to do all this for you. And they are likely using RO as well. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thainesss said:

This is True, but don't forget that if anyone is getting their drinking water from the village in those cheap plastic bottles then you are basically relying on someone else to do all this for you. And they are likely using RO as well. 

I think they will be using R.O. if you are lucky,that's the smaller water companies.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I think they will be using R.O. if you are lucky,that's the smaller water companies.

Yep and those drinking water dispensing machines on the side of the road also use RO and who knows how often they are cleaned/tested/maintained. 

It'll be safer to to it at home 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thainesss said:

Its impossible to say definitively without a proper check on the water itself by a lab and I have no clue how to do that in Thailand,

you  can  get  it  tested  here

water test.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

Could you please name the institute testing the water ? I want to do the same but have no idea where.

Thanks...

see  my  post

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chazar said:

you  can  get  it  tested  here

water test.jpg

No pathogens

We had ours fully tested the first couple of years. As we are across the canal from the major agricultural land we now just get it tested for pathogens.