Well water - how to purify for drinking

jameskeats

On 11/15/2019 at 1:32 PM, jameskeats said:

Hello everyone

We have a 60 meter deep well in our place in Mae On, providing us with water for cleaning and washing. It's has a lot of limescale and it often stinks. We would like to turn it into drinkable water if possible, or a least something we can use for cooking. We're surrounded by rice paddies (they spread a lot of chemicals there) but we also have a river flowing next to our house.

My question is, would a RO system do? Is it good enough to remove all possible chemicals and heavy metals? Or do I need additional filters for that.

I kindly ask that only those who have a direct experience with purifying well water here in the area of Chiang Mai answer. I've researched a lot and I've only found conflicting information about what I should do. I was thinking of getting my water tested but that's a lot and if RO removes the vast majority of impurities anyway, I would simply go straight for that.

Hello 

you have been given some great contact here for testing your water. That is the first thing you need to do before starting to build a filtration system.

1. You next need to decide how much water you want to filter, either in L per day or Gallons.
  2. with the volume per day in mind, set a budget
  3. If you only require a small amount of water then an under the sink unit will suffice.
  4. If you require Whole house usage, you will need to assess your report and decide what you want to get rid of from the water. RO membranes do get clogged with the contaminants, so they need to be reduced or filtered out before going in the membrane. Commonly used media for ground water is Resin for softness, green/Magnesium sand, carbon, these are normally housed in a media filter, they are easily available online and in shops. 

Have a look at https://www.duan-daw.com

I use 2 settlement tanks and a sand and carbon media filter, then into 20" sediment filters (cartridge) 20, 10, 5 and 1 micron.  I am connected to village Supply (klong) and the water is very turbid and also very inconsistant, i used to just use the sediment filters but the village water supply would just clog the filters immediately sometimes when they back washed there filters and put the dirty water back in the tank  . I use alum in the settlement tanks as a flockulent (35mg per Litre), then after settling the water goes through the filters and then into another storage tank ready for the house.

we dont drink the water but it is clean enough for washing the dishes and clothes.

The next step on the system is to add a couple more filters after the final storage tank going down to 0.45 microns.

Obviously the system needs to be maintained, back flushing and changing filters etc, i dont live any where near a big town so finding someone capable is not worth bothering with. But i am sure you can find a company (PURE) ? to take up your requirements, as you are close to CM.

I also have the option to go RO if i want, but for 10Bht for 20 litres of clean water delivered it not worth it for me.

I have used this project as a test bed for an RO project i will use for my farm, we have a bore which is 1200ppm TDS and quite salty although very clear so i will be moving onto to that project soon, i will be using a 12000l per day RO unit and will be filling a 135000L dam plus house hold usage, i can't be sure of the water content as with a shallow bore the content can change quite quickly due to local conditions, i am also concerned about the chemicals used. 

When my wife was growing up, the village used to have several ground wells where water was always available, since the use of pesticides and fertilizers has become this practice has stopped.

I can send you some photos of my set up if you want

Shaemus

11 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Your body won't get acid by drinking water. Your blood pH can't change much before you die: https://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2014/03/24/dont-believe-the-hype-10-persistent-cancer-myths-debunked/#acidic-diets

images (15).jpeg

Sometimes in hospitals they check your pee, with litmus, it is for pH. SO you can be more acid or not. They also say you can desalt your body by drinking pure water, there should be added minerals and more into water from RO installations, for drinking.

To me it all makes sense, wouldnt know if cancer cells grow better in acid body. Still they dont know all about cancer.

Archived