Saraburi school director criticized for making students prostrate themselves before him

webfact

Saraburi school director criticized for making students prostrate themselves before him

BRpLwT0TYaGXOF4tXhaNNFXAEifo9pONZSYWOzQV

The outgoing director of a well-known public school in Thailand’s central province of Saraburi has come under heavy criticism on social media for holding a farewell ceremony in which students were made to prostrate themselves in front of him.

The ceremony took place on November 8th at the Khaeng Khoi School during a send-off for its director Mr. Natthanan Danupitak, who has been appointed the director of Saraburi Wittayakhom School. Several pictures of the ceremony were posted on social media, drawing widespread criticism, before they were removed.

One picture shows Mr. Natthanan seated on a chair in front of the flag pole and a student representative is seen lying prostrate before him after presenting him with a garland. Another picture shows the director, accompanied by school executives, walking past lines of students, some holding flags and others holding trays of garlands, as if he is inspecting a guard of honour. The other picture shows students lying prostrate in the front yard of the school.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/saraburi-school-director-criticized-for-making-students-prostrate-themselves-before-him/

thaipbs.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, webfact said:

Mr. Natthanan Danupitak, who has been appointed the director of Saraburi Wittayakhom School.

I feel very sorry for the students where this pompous, self adoring old git will be headed next. Treating students with such contempt by making them prostrate themselves shows exactly what is wrong with the Thai education system. Beating kids for minor infringements and generally treating students like dirt. No wonder so many young adults here have such an attitude problem. Caused by scum like this. The students should have been lining up with trash and rotten tomatoes to send this guy on his way, a send off he deserves.

It's known as "graap". A Thai tradition. At my sons prize giving day the fathers were asked to sit on stage and the children filed on and "graap" their parents. I found it a bit awkward and embarrasing but my wife thought it was wonderful. Thainess.

My wife once did it to me at home. I told her that she was being a dick. She didn't do it again.

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

He obviously has an extremely high opinion of himself and he is just the director of a public school and nothing else not worthy of the students prostrating themselves IMO .

The director at the school where I teach fancies himself a mini Prayut. Whenever there is an assembly the band plays and we all rise in his honor. During these aforementioned assemblies the students bring him cake and juice on their knees. 

The teachers despise the man and he only shows his face when there are pictures to be taken. From what I've heard and experienced, men like the one in the article are the norm not the exception. 

16 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

It's known as "graap". A Thai tradition. At my sons prize giving day the fathers were asked to sit on stage and the children filed on and "graap" their parents. I found it a bit awkward and embarrasing but my wife thought it was wonderful. Thainess.

My wife once did it to me at home. I told her that she was being a dick. She didn't do it again.

Difficult to understand why farangs put theirs kids in a Thai school, where it's well-known they'll never learn anything.

Things are different here, ya think?

Just another important "life skill"....

We had gym teachers back in US that would tell us "Drop and give me five"... pushups make you prostate, er, prostrate.... Amazing Thailand

17 hours ago, keith101 said:

He obviously has an extremely high opinion of himself and he is just the director of a public school and nothing else not worthy of the students prostrating themselves IMO .

I'm thinking if he were the ... PM, he still wouldn't be worthy of anyone prostrating themselves in front of :glare:

I was just wondering why Thais dont do this for me?????????

Thai schools are a looney bin. My son just failed history. He is 8yrs old so what the hell does it matter.... my first question was whos history was it? and now that he has his own phone he can google all the correct answers when needed? so thats a pass...schools are a waste of time nowadays. Just a place for children to be victimized by idiots it seems.

All the state schools I know, they are barracks where students learn to obey all superiors blindly, they learn that true respect does not exist, only obliged respect!
Students undergo continuous brainwashing!
Teachers enjoy in the true sense of the word, the power they have.

18 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I wondered what they were taught in Thai schools besides marching and Thainess!

They were just taught to be good little slaves and respect the hierarchy so that when they get older they will know their place in society and be easier to control. Communist countries don't have a monopoly on re-education camps. 

Another Moron with delusions of adequacy that wouldn't last two minutes in a real centre of educational teaching and learning..

The students know nothing because the teachers know nothing.

The Educational degrees in Thailand are near useless and not recognized in the outside world and let's be fair here, we criticize the ' keystone cops of Thailand ' that ' buy their positions ' the exact same is true for those in government positions, where it is not based on ability, it is based on what cash you bring to the table.

The more I know about this country, the more I despise the despots that run it and keep the status quo.

Archived