Saraburi school director criticized for making students prostrate themselves before him

webfact

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, keith101 said:

He obviously has an extremely high opinion of himself and he is just the director of a public school and nothing else not worthy of the students prostrating themselves IMO .

Not just in your opinion...thus, the reason for the article?

18 hours ago, bkkatl said:

The director at the school where I teach fancies himself a mini Prayut. Whenever there is an assembly the band plays and we all rise in his honor. During these aforementioned assemblies the students bring him cake and juice on their knees. 

The teachers despise the man and he only shows his face when there are pictures to be taken. From what I've heard and experienced, men like the one in the article are the norm not the exception. 

i thought this was every school

This "gentleman" seems to be full of his own self importance and believes that he is better than all others at his school. What his students must think having to do what he directed!! 

He is a real genuine Thai overinflated with self importance.

I feel sorry for whoever ends up with him in charge of the establishment.

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I feel very sorry for the students where this pompous, self adoring old git will be headed next. Treating students with such contempt by making them prostrate themselves shows exactly what is wrong with the Thai education system. Beating kids for minor infringements and generally treating students like dirt. No wonder so many young adults here have such an attitude problem. Caused by scum like this. The students should have been lining up with trash and rotten tomatoes to send this guy on his way, a send off he deserves.

Can't disagree with the essence of your post though it was heartening to see that in the large amount of comments I read in Thai on Thai social media he was roundly criticized for being a complete <deleted> tool.

Rooster

What would be worthy to demand any human being to prostate themselves before you? Is it a sign of respect or of indoctrination?

IMO respect is one thing.  A polite wai or a hand shake to express gratitude for a gesture generous and kind by another shows your appreciation.  Prostration in front of another human being is demeaning. I believe this to always be the case but especially so if they are only doing their job. I can't think of any thing positive for the person prostrating themselves, but would be interested to hear of any situation where such a person has been overcome with wonderful feelings that propelled them to go on to great things as a result of their graap.

21 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

It's known as "graap". A Thai tradition. At my sons prize giving day the fathers were asked to sit on stage and the children filed on and "graap" their parents. I found it a bit awkward and embarrasing but my wife thought it was wonderful. Thainess.

My wife once did it to me at home. I told her that she was being a dick. She didn't do it again.

I do that for my wife when I bring her coffee in the morning.  Flat on the floor, waiing, pushing the coffee cup with my head.  I think it is funny.  She probably thinks I am being  dick.  She would be correct.  :)  If you love to make fun with mockery, there is sooo much material with which to work in this country.

13 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:

What would be worthy to demand any human being to prostate themselves before you? Is it a sign of respect or of indoctrination?

IMO respect is one thing.  A polite wai or a hand shake to express gratitude for a gesture generous and kind by another shows your appreciation.  Prostration in front of another human being is demeaning. I believe this to always be the case but especially so if they are only doing their job. I can't think of any thing positive for the person prostrating themselves, but would be interested to hear of any situation where such a person has been overcome with wonderful feelings that propelled them to go on to great things as a result of their graap.

I take it you have never witnessed the sycophantic actions of workers to their superiors in the corporate world? such actions are are indeed virtual prostration!! is that indoctrination? or perhaps you call it respect?

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

I take it you have never witnessed the sycophantic actions of workers to their superiors in the corporate world? such actions are are indeed virtual prostration!! is that indoctrination? or perhaps you call it respect?

Nope,  never prostrated myself on the floor at any interview.

1 minute ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Nope,  never prostrated myself on the floor at any interview.

Ah but you see the actual prostrating is virtual, ever heard the phrase 'lick his boots' yes it exists and is active and alive in the western world

There are plenty of obsequious employees around in the western world, mostly desperate to hang onto their employment, economic slavery and thus servitude.

Unlike the guy in question, surely nobody insists they behave in this manner, so where does it originate? what do you believe is the root cause?

On 11/15/2019 at 3:32 PM, DannyCarlton said:

My wife once did it to me at home. I told her that she was being a dick. She didn't do it again.

is there some hidden meaning in your statement? something you're not telling us about wifes attributes?  sorry but this is thailand

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

not just corporate but advanced academic world.  prostration equivalent or even worse is repetitive asslicking

if given the choice to prostrate once in a while or continuous asslicking i'd choose prostration.

btw, a significant # of people misspeak the word prostate and say prostrate.

On 11/15/2019 at 9:32 AM, DannyCarlton said:

It's known as "graap". A Thai tradition. At my sons prize giving day the fathers were asked to sit on stage and the children filed on and "graap" their parents. I found it a bit awkward and embarrasing but my wife thought it was wonderful. Thainess.

My wife and I Joke this way She Graap's me when she brings my koffee and I waai he back it's all for fun, nothing serious.....we have laughs every day this way. 55555

3 hours ago, Naamblar2014 said:

I guess it shows servitude do the people in other countries with a king or queen lay down in the streets before them

23 hours ago, bkkatl said:

The director at the school where I teach fancies himself a mini Prayut. Whenever there is an assembly the band plays and we all rise in his honor. During these aforementioned assemblies the students bring him cake and juice on their knees. 

The teachers despise the man and he only shows his face when there are pictures to be taken. From what I've heard and experienced, men like the one in the article are the norm not the exception. 

Hm,...So, All my Thai friends are exceptions ?!?

Another exemplary sample of idiocy in Thailand‘s education system - keep up the good work and create another generation of mostly braindead underlings you can lie at, cheat and buy votes without the ability of common sense approach to the challenges of the 21st century. 

Well done ! 

Archived