Which Thai provinces are the cheapest?

sakoo

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yes it is.. 33 rai plot, of which, 7 or 8 Rai is gonna be flooded by a dam project.. Which means potentially we will have a 25 Rai lakeside oasis ???????? Or lose the whole plot if they get their calculations wrong !! 

Oops, see next post.

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Here you go champ, can rent my little shack in Chaiyaphum for 100 baht a night.. There's no nightlife, no crowds, come to think of it there's not much of anything !! But you'll be able to practice your Thai and might get lucky with a massage ??

String your hammock up on the deck and listen to the rain ????

1571742322141.jpg

Build yourself or labour?

How much cost?

8 hours ago, sakoo said:

My budget per night of accom is 100b, and 20b/meal.

For this money you will have a very uncomfortable trip. Bad sleep and daily 2 portions of rice. No idea what you want to visit, but often there are entrance fees. 

I would chose to travel where it´s beautiful and interesting, not where it´s cheap. But up to you.

5 hours ago, sakoo said:

My prices were from my memories of Thailand 15 years ago

Do you know the word "inflation"? Remember the prices 15 years ago in your country and think about if they are still the same today.

Rainy season just ended. Camping? I've camped a fair amount in Thailand, have you? The reason why camping isn't more popular here is because it's pretty uncomfortable sleeping in 85+ degree overnight temperatures without even a fan. You can easily find yourself unable to sleep and dripping in sweat until the early hours of the morning. If you're hooked on the camping idea, I'd pick a campground up North (cooler weather), come during the cool season (Nov-Feb) and just stay put. Having to lug camping gear all over Thailand sounds like a total drag to me. FYI, many national park campgrounds do have tent rentals. That might be the way to go since it sounds like you'll be staying in guesthouses as well.

You can't just pitch a tent anywhere you please either. That's going to draw unwelcome attention. You might get away with it for just a night, but after that the police might show up. You could be seen as a vagrant or a foreigner trying to evade detection by immigration. You're not going to be welcomed with open arms: 'Look at the adorable minimalist, how cute.' Not. Nobody wants you defecating, building camp fires, leaving garbage on their land.

Admission fees to Thailand's national parks are 200 baht and then there's a per night camping fee on top of that. These parks are usually in very remote locations, so you're gonna have to pay for someone to take you out there and then come pick you up. If the park has restaurant facilities, prices are usually very reasonable, but not super cheap. If there's no restaurant facilities (or they're closed for the season) you could be looking at hours of walking to get to the nearest store.

Motor bike rental, in my opinion, is ill-advised. There are insurance issues, and huge safety issues, especially if you're riding around in unfamiliar areas without a helmet or loaded down with gear. You can't rent a motor bike just anywhere in Thailand, just mainly in tourist areas or maybe larger cities.

I'd pick a few parks. Not worry about the province. National Marine Parks are great but all closed for another month. I think Mu Koh Surin front side is open nowadays (Phangnha). March on the islands tents get hot. You need to be in a cool place at the waters edge.

Sounds cold, wet and boring and I love camping in the Andaman. Camping in north sounds dire outside Dec Jan. I'm not a mountain guy.

We often do some cooking in NPs but last year's just cook rice and buy food in np canteen.

Wife says Pu Kadung, Pu Saidow, Inthanon.

Waterproof tent. Rrrrrrright.

You need a Thai style tent with big windows not some mounteering coffin.

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

40,000 baht. Local labour but we already had most of the hardwood from a previous small house 

Then 100 baht a day is too much – 12% a year of 40,000 is 4,800 baht, i.e. 500 baht a month or 20 baht a day.

Presume you need to register as hotel, if rented out for less than a month...????

40 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Then 100 baht a day is too much – 12% a year of 40,000 is 4,800 baht, i.e. 500 baht a month or 20 baht a day.

Presume you need to register as hotel, if rented out for less than a month...????

Love your thinking ????

I am 65 and traveling thru Africa, South America, Europe, Central America for 2 years and spent less than $3,600. Of course that was over 45 years ago. I slept on the ground, in coach roach invested rooms, in shacks with mosquitoes in hotels with bed bugs. I had bed bug bites on top of mosquito. I had dysentery from bad food and water. I wouldn’t change a thing, but I was 18 when I started and 20yrs old when I finished my trek. I commend you for trying to save money but expect discomfort, expect bugs and mosquitos. I suspect you have created an idyllic vision that will be hard to find, if it even still exists. Good luck.

1 hour ago, Onrai said:

I am 65 and traveling thru Africa, South America, Europe, Central America for 2 years and spent less than $3,600. Of course that was over 45 years ago. I slept on the ground, in coach roach invested rooms, in shacks with mosquitoes in hotels with bed bugs. I had bed bug bites on top of mosquito. I had dysentery from bad food and water. I wouldn’t change a thing, but I was 18 when I started and 20yrs old when I finished my trek. I commend you for trying to save money but expect discomfort, expect bugs and mosquitos. I suspect you have created an idyllic vision that will be hard to find, if it even still exists. Good luck.

Equal to 35 000 today? 

Edit, 11 000 usd today. 

I could easy live on that budget for 2 years alone in Thailand today. If I had to

10 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Equal to 35 000 today? 

Edit, 11 000 usd today. 

I could easy live on that budget for 2 years alone in Thailand today. If I had to

"According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index, today's prices in 2019 are 422.00% higher than average prices throughout 1974. The dollar experienced an average inflation rate of 3.74% per year during this period, meaning the real value of a dollar decreased.

In other words, $3,600 in 1974 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $18,792.00 in 2019, a difference of $15,192.00 over 45 years."

Equates to approx 785 baht/day. So you could live on that, just.....

You guys really are a bunch of racists aren't you? I suppose it's easier to be so in Thailand and online so you don't have to show your faces when you make racial remarks. And no I am not Indian nor am i from San Francisco (that horrid place) and I will certainly help the Thais, it is just not in the same way. But thank you for the advice on the massage at the hospital for 80b that is the kind of post that is actually helpful and look only the minority of posters actually comment like that the rest focus on racial remarks or those based on race, status, wealth, etc.. For sure, those are farang, only farang talk like that. Probably the crustiest variety as well, real low life type who is always grouchy and negative no matter what anyone has to say on here, it is just an invite to make a new attack, the troll remark included. And the remarks about me being white vs Indian is again a typical thing only white people would say, but only when they can't be called out for it, it is their race based way of speaking, no wonder so many people leave white countries and end up in Thailand or SEA Asia or Latin America, they are trying to escape their own societies, but only to end up repeating their filthy remarks in whatever new countries they end up, as nobody really likes them minus their wealth, it is the only thing interesting about them from a locals perspective. The fact they can't speak the language only adds to prove just how ignorant they really are. And the other element noticed by their way of talking is how they want to keep new people coming to Thailand in a vane attempt to protect the Thais from other foreigners, when it is really themselves who are the most toxic influence on the Thais. No wonder so many of them end up dead or murdered on Ko Samui and other places after drunken fights for alcohol is really their cultural norm, that an ignorant remarks based on stereotypes, so I will show them what it's like to be treated that way, and then watch their faces light up in angst, it's the least they deserve for being racist, ignorant white men. They know to zip it back home, but in places like Thailand, it is open season, avoiding them like a plague especially when they're drunk is a good call, that is why I like to go to places where there are no other farang, one for that reason, to avoid seeing them drunk and acting a fool, and second, to actually find these 100b/night places where most of them can't because they are too drunk or ignorant to look in the first place. And then another trait I noticed is a lot of answers without any questions asked to follow up? How did you go from my interest in camping to assuming I am going to be hiding in the woods with my tent? I have every intention of camping only at guesthouses, not on my own in a national park. I never even mentioned national parks and here you are going on about how I will appear as if I am evading immigration? Wow! Just Wow! Not everyone who looks for the cheapest deals is a bum, you know. Some of us actually use our money wisely and not waste it away at bars getting drunk with the worst characters on the island. Some of us like to stretch the tourist dollar and help out people other than the bar owner or Dutch guy running a bungalow who already has money from home. So even if I spend less per night on the bungalow, I can cut out the farang running a business in Thailand and help the families instead, especially if I find a massage place run by a family, or a restaurant run by a family, and not some farang and his wife, those are places some of you probably frequent. But some of you did provide some useful tips even though with a lot of sarcasm, which is typical of white people, really obnoxious cultural habit adopted by the British no doubt. The worst quality about them is their drunkenness and sarcasm. No wonder nobody really likes them minus their wallets. The walking ATM machine indeed. It's no surprise they are scammed more than any other tourist group. And finally, I see how some of you assume that my ideas are a vision or a dream as if I have never been there before, it is a wrong assumption, I am not looking for utopia for 100b/night I am just looking for 100b/night and I have already found a few places, none of which I will share with you given your hateful rhetoric, but I will do so for anyone in PM after a quick screening process to see if you're a troll or not. White trolls are the worst. I can spot them a mile off from their race based, sarcastic comments and remarks. It is really all they have to offer, with few exceptions. Now watch them come back with even more remarks. It's their culture. They have learned nothing about saving face. It is a Western culture to feel like you have to win everything, all the time. It's a disgusting culture. 

30 minutes ago, sakoo said:

You guys really are a bunch of racists aren't you? I suppose it's easier to be so in Thailand and online so you don't have to show your faces when you make racial remarks. And no I am not Indian nor am i from San Francisco (that horrid place) and I will certainly help the Thais, it is just not in the same way. But thank you for the advice on the massage at the hospital for 80b that is the kind of post that is actually helpful and look only the minority of posters actually comment like that the rest focus on racial remarks or those based on race, status, wealth, etc.. For sure, those are farang, only farang talk like that. Probably the crustiest variety as well, real low life type who is always grouchy and negative no matter what anyone has to say on here, it is just an invite to make a new attack, the troll remark included. And the remarks about me being white vs Indian is again a typical thing only white people would say, but only when they can't be called out for it, it is their race based way of speaking, no wonder so many people leave white countries and end up in Thailand or SEA Asia or Latin America, they are trying to escape their own societies, but only to end up repeating their filthy remarks in whatever new countries they end up, as nobody really likes them minus their wealth, it is the only thing interesting about them from a locals perspective. The fact they can't speak the language only adds to prove just how ignorant they really are. And the other element noticed by their way of talking is how they want to keep new people coming to Thailand in a vane attempt to protect the Thais from other foreigners, when it is really themselves who are the most toxic influence on the Thais. No wonder so many of them end up dead or murdered on Ko Samui and other places after drunken fights for alcohol is really their cultural norm, that an ignorant remarks based on stereotypes, so I will show them what it's like to be treated that way, and then watch their faces light up in angst, it's the least they deserve for being racist, ignorant white men. They know to zip it back home, but in places like Thailand, it is open season, avoiding them like a plague especially when they're drunk is a good call, that is why I like to go to places where there are no other farang, one for that reason, to avoid seeing them drunk and acting a fool, and second, to actually find these 100b/night places where most of them can't because they are too drunk or ignorant to look in the first place. And then another trait I noticed is a lot of answers without any questions asked to follow up? How did you go from my interest in camping to assuming I am going to be hiding in the woods with my tent? I have every intention of camping only at guesthouses, not on my own in a national park. I never even mentioned national parks and here you are going on about how I will appear as if I am evading immigration? Wow! Just Wow! Not everyone who looks for the cheapest deals is a bum, you know. Some of us actually use our money wisely and not waste it away at bars getting drunk with the worst characters on the island. Some of us like to stretch the tourist dollar and help out people other than the bar owner or Dutch guy running a bungalow who already has money from home. So even if I spend less per night on the bungalow, I can cut out the farang running a business in Thailand and help the families instead, especially if I find a massage place run by a family, or a restaurant run by a family, and not some farang and his wife, those are places some of you probably frequent. But some of you did provide some useful tips even though with a lot of sarcasm, which is typical of white people, really obnoxious cultural habit adopted by the British no doubt. The worst quality about them is their drunkenness and sarcasm. No wonder nobody really likes them minus their wallets. The walking ATM machine indeed. It's no surprise they are scammed more than any other tourist group. And finally, I see how some of you assume that my ideas are a vision or a dream as if I have never been there before, it is a wrong assumption, I am not looking for utopia for 100b/night I am just looking for 100b/night and I have already found a few places, none of which I will share with you given your hateful rhetoric, but I will do so for anyone in PM after a quick screening process to see if you're a troll or not. White trolls are the worst. I can spot them a mile off from their race based, sarcastic comments and remarks. It is really all they have to offer, with few exceptions. Now watch them come back with even more remarks. It's their culture. They have learned nothing about saving face. It is a Western culture to feel like you have to win everything, all the time. It's a disgusting culture. 

Well said Sakoo. Great post! But ever heard of paragraphs?

Take plenty of rope and a decent hammock. Also a blow up beach bed. But my guess is that the ladies will offer you food and body for free.

A friend of mine did similar 30 years ago.

On 11/15/2019 at 8:48 PM, cornishcarlos said:

Here you go champ, can rent my little shack in Chaiyaphum for 100 baht a night.. There's no nightlife, no crowds, come to think of it there's not much of anything !! But you'll be able to practice your Thai and might get lucky with a massage ??

1571742322141.jpg

OMG  I f**king LOVE this...did you build it?  how much? Is there power+water sources?

Thank you Owl, I can see you are an advanced member, so you appreciate a bit of truth when you hear it. The question is what to do with the riff raff around here? Have they always been so unwelcoming and trashy toward different people? Or is the 100b/night really what triggered them? I am interested in them psychologically and from a socio-anthropological standpoint. They fascinate me and disgust me simultaneously. I want to tell them off and avoid them at the same time. And i have a camping hammock with mosquito net. It is made of nylon. And it is for 2 people. And why do you think the ladies offer me food for free? 

13 minutes ago, sakoo said:

Thank you Owl, I can see you are an advanced member, so you appreciate a bit of truth when you hear it. The question is what to do with the riff raff around here? Have they always been so unwelcoming and trashy toward different people? Or is the 100b/night really what triggered them? I am interested in them psychologically and from a socio-anthropological standpoint. They fascinate me and disgust me simultaneously. I want to tell them off and avoid them at the same time. And i have a camping hammock with mosquito net. It is made of nylon. And it is for 2 people. And why do you think the ladies offer me food for free? 

Im a minimalist as well..everything i own fits in my old 95 toyota wagon, which I sleep in as well to save money to come to LOS. Im poor in my country and stay in LOS for cheaper housing-cheap eats and affordable healthcare if needed, all of which are $$$ back home..I do have to budget but I do have the sense of adventure and exploring and admire your post..Im just not sure I would do it here as well, and I can attest to trying to sleep in my car in summer, as 70' and above is super hard to sleep in, add humidity and bugs....but dont let anyone tell u not to do it...thailand just doesnt seem like the place to me, best of luck

It would def be a challenge and I would say if you go deep into LOS one would need to speak thai well

4 minutes ago, sakoo said:

Yes Sakoo, thanks for the heads up. An advanced member that has been on TVForum for many years. Most of the farang on here would be simply jealous of your exploits and future conquests. And indeed your sheer adventurism.

"And why do you think the ladies offer me food for free?" Well the ladies in the cheaper provinces are very welcoming. They will offer to share their food with you. And if you are lucky, offer a spare room for you to get your head down. However, don't be surprised if sometime in the night you are joined by the lady of the house, or her sister or daughter. If you are unlucky it could be her mum. But, as they say. 'many a good tune played on an old fiddle.'

And for the cheapest provinces; Nong Khai is right up there as is Udon. But for sheer economy try Sakon Nakon, or is it Nakon Sakon? Always get confused with that one. Not to be confused with Nakon Ratchasima (khorat). Stay well clear of that place. The food is expensive, the ladies too wise for their own good and is too upmarket for what you seek.

They do still have a thriving dog market in Sakon Nakon, and a plate of dog stew (on the bone), shouldn't set you back more than 20 baht.

So there we have it. Do keep us informed on the forum, on how you are progressing. And keep a detailed log, take plenty of pics. Could be in the future that "Hike around Thailand", could be as well read as "Around the world in 80 shags."

Respect 'bro.

On 11/16/2019 at 8:09 AM, sillyfool said:

the force is strong with this one. 

Indeed , I live way up here and to me moodaeng with rice and soup at 40 B is a bargain .  20 for food and 100 for accomodation ........... best not suggest that to my TW when a weekend break is due.

23 hours ago, sakoo said:

The personal attacks aside (which were quiet predictable by the way), I will shed some more light on my situation. I actually do have money to travel, I just don't want to spend more than 200B/night on accommodation. So let's make it 100-200B/night, but 200 is the MAX. And for food, let's make it 20-40B/meal (no meat, no egg, no seafood). A nice spicy, red veggie curry with rice. My prices were from my memories of Thailand 15 years ago, when I first visited as a young one. I remember having a bungalow in Pai for 100B/night, it had a mosquito net, double bed, private room, a very nice garden shower outside with frog sounds, and a restaurant  where they cooked in front of you, for 30b/meal. I also remember Ko Mook, another 100b/night place (in low season) for a tent with a double mattress inside, tent was already set up (not mine), but food was more expensive, so that wasn't idea, also the australian guy running the place was a bit racist. And Pattaya I also remember visiting, but actually found a hotel room there for really cheap. Why is Pattaya really cheap? As for transportation, I prefer those pickup trucks with benches in the back for short journey or motobike taxi or just walk or cycle or rent my own motobike, and for longer journey I like the plane. Not a fan of long bus journeys unless it is a sleeper bus with something that resembles a bed, and the turn off the music/tv for people to actually sleep. Otherwise, domestic flights. But I think I will just fly in to Chiang Mai (didn't really like Bangkok). and then spend the 30 days in Chiang Mai, Pai, Mae Hong Son, maybe Chiang Rai, Nan, etc..that would be a good use of 30 days, (just the north) then maybe fly to Hanoi (and spend 30 days there doing Sapa, Ha Giang, etc..) and then fly back to Bangkok and do another 30 days in just Isan alone. Just don't get the wrong idea, I am not a poor, dirty backpacker with smelly disposition, I am just a minimalist. 

Check the national parks, some allow camping and you can bring your tent. At Koh Adang in the Tarutao national park byo tent camping was 30 baht pn around 10 years ago, I expect to be higher now. Only one place to eat there and a few monkies around, so a bit hard to bring your own food. If I camp in SE Asia I would bring a Pacsafe mesh and lock some of my stuff to a tree, otherwise it may end up somewhere in the jungle.

CHAKA: Why wouldn't you suggest Thailand for me? Is it because you don't think I will find 100b/night rooms? Or other reasons? I am usually OK with heat, I don't use A/C. A fan is all I need both for bugs and to fall asleep. I also have a silk bed linen that I travel with, so I can put it on any bed and feel comfortable, as long as the bed is not broken, etc.. Bed bugs are a concern, but I think I have enough experience to know what's what when I enter a guesthouse. So do you still think Thailand is not right for me? I used to live there. So i am not 100% sure why Thailand doesn't seem like the place? I am also going to Laos, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Cambodia, Vietnam. All will be visited on a 100b/night budget (or better). I speak Thai as well and several other languages including many Asian languages. 

OWL: Thank you for the admission about jealousy. I am very interested to learn more about this jealousy. Is it personal? Or do they simply resent something in themselves? An inability or unwillingness that they seem be succeeding and then want to bring me down? Is it like a form of macho behaviour between men? Or would they attack a woman in such a personal way as well? 

Regarding these ladies of the night, do they want a farang who pays them? Or are they simply attracted to handsome men? Do they want anything other than a sexual experience? For example, will they leech or latch on after it's said and done? And do they realize not all farang are a like? And that we have different cultures related to sex and women? I can't imagine having to explain that in Thai, but it may be necessary. Do they respect a pro-family farang? Or they think we are all after sex? 

It seems you recommend ISAN provinces over Chiang Mai and Pai. Don't you think Chiang Mai and Pai will actually be cheaper than Isan? Because of the volume of people? I can possibly get 100b dorm with fan, and eat the market. Can I do that in Isan for less? Or about the same? 

And when you say Nong Khai, do you mean the city in Nong Khai as well? What kind of deal can I get in Nong Khai? Let's say I want to spend a week in a guesthouse, how much do they want compared with what I can get by browsing in Chiang Mai or Pai? 

In Pai for example, there are 300 guesthouses and hotels, I could check into one I find on Agoda or Booking for the first night, let's say for $2 or 3/night, and then spend that day looking for even better places around the same price range that have shared open air garden showers where you can wipe yourself down under the moonlight. Romantic yes, but possible, no? That is the question for you! 

I am just asking if it's even worth it to go to rural Thailand when i can just get the best deals in places with the highest volume? Like Chiang Mai and Pai? They are not islands, or beaches, so no reason for them to be expensive, and if I go in low season, I can avoid the riff raff and jealous types. I can then also focus on Thai language acquisition, exercises (such as yoga, weightroom) and maybe even cooking classes, if they can be found for under 1000b/full day class. 

But there is no way I want to be around anywhere with a dog market. I am an animal lover and I have cats and I cannot bear it. That's not for me. I also avoid certain markets that deal in animals. I can pick up on the suffering in the eye contact I make with the animals. Elephants especially, I feel their pain, especially the baby elephants who are abused to have their will broken from a young age to ready them for a lifetime of servitude to disgusting human beings with no morals.

On 11/16/2019 at 8:48 AM, cornishcarlos said:

1571742322141.jpg

What rain? The rainy season is over.

You forgot to mention your TOT Fiber high speed internet that OP can access TV when things go wrong.

I'd have thought that the car's in the 100 baht package per day, including gas, right?

Amazing Thailand. There's no 20 baht meal, neither in Pai, nor on Koh Lanta. 

I don't think that OP will have a travel insurance considering his very tight budget.

1 hour ago, ChakaKhan said:

OMG  I f**king LOVE this...did you build it?  how much? Is there power+water sources?

No power, no water and no toilet... Should suit the OPs budget !!

I will possibly install a basic solar set up, just for lighting and to charge phones etc.

Toilet will be a compost unit in the future and the showers are just 10 mins away (see photo) ????

1571814641570.jpg.20643eb31e10957156ccbd185f0a11b2.jpg

Archived