Which Thai provinces are the cheapest?

sakoo

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, sakoo said:

CHAKA: Why wouldn't you suggest Thailand for me? Is it because you don't think I will find 100b/night rooms? Or other reasons? I am usually OK with heat, I don't use A/C. A fan is all I need both for bugs and to fall asleep. I also have a silk bed linen that I travel with, so I can put it on any bed and feel comfortable, as long as the bed is not broken, etc.. Bed bugs are a concern, but I think I have enough experience to know what's what when I enter a guesthouse. So do you still think Thailand is not right for me? I used to live there. So i am not 100% sure why Thailand doesn't seem like the place? I am also going to Laos, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Cambodia, Vietnam. All will be visited on a 100b/night budget (or better). I speak Thai as well and several other languages including many Asian languages. 

OWL: Thank you for the admission about jealousy. I am very interested to learn more about this jealousy. Is it personal? Or do they simply resent something in themselves? An inability or unwillingness that they seem be succeeding and then want to bring me down? Is it like a form of macho behaviour between men? Or would they attack a woman in such a personal way as well? 

Regarding these ladies of the night, do they want a farang who pays them? Or are they simply attracted to handsome men? Do they want anything other than a sexual experience? For example, will they leech or latch on after it's said and done? And do they realize not all farang are a like? And that we have different cultures related to sex and women? I can't imagine having to explain that in Thai, but it may be necessary. Do they respect a pro-family farang? Or they think we are all after sex? 

It seems you recommend ISAN provinces over Chiang Mai and Pai. Don't you think Chiang Mai and Pai will actually be cheaper than Isan? Because of the volume of people? I can possibly get 100b dorm with fan, and eat the market. Can I do that in Isan for less? Or about the same? 

And when you say Nong Khai, do you mean the city in Nong Khai as well? What kind of deal can I get in Nong Khai? Let's say I want to spend a week in a guesthouse, how much do they want compared with what I can get by browsing in Chiang Mai or Pai? 

In Pai for example, there are 300 guesthouses and hotels, I could check into one I find on Agoda or Booking for the first night, let's say for $2 or 3/night, and then spend that day looking for even better places around the same price range that have shared open air garden showers where you can wipe yourself down under the moonlight. Romantic yes, but possible, no? That is the question for you! 

I am just asking if it's even worth it to go to rural Thailand when i can just get the best deals in places with the highest volume? Like Chiang Mai and Pai? They are not islands, or beaches, so no reason for them to be expensive, and if I go in low season, I can avoid the riff raff and jealous types. I can then also focus on Thai language acquisition, exercises (such as yoga, weightroom) and maybe even cooking classes, if they can be found for under 1000b/full day class. 

But there is no way I want to be around anywhere with a dog market. I am an animal lover and I have cats and I cannot bear it. That's not for me. I also avoid certain markets that deal in animals. I can pick up on the suffering in the eye contact I make with the animals. Elephants especially, I feel their pain, especially the baby elephants who are abused to have their will broken from a young age to ready them for a lifetime of servitude to disgusting human beings with no morals.

Don't you think Chiang Mai and Pai will actually be cheaper than Isan? Because of the volume of people? I can possibly get 100b dorm with fan, and eat the market. Can I do that in Isan for less? Or about the same? 

You've mentioned that you have lived in Thailand, but you're asking so many simple questions about life and women in LOS?

Isaan is about 33 % of Thailand's area and considered the poorest as well. But even in lower northeast, you won't find a 20 baht meal, an ordinary fried rice with veggies is around 35 baht.

There's no guesthouse in Pai with 2 to 3 dollar rooms. Even 25 years ago, that didn't exist.

Is it possible that you've got a travel guide from 1960? 

On 11/16/2019 at 8:53 AM, mizzi39 said:

I live in the NE of Thailand and have been living here for the past 12 years. Even here, which is the cheapest region, you would be hard pressed to find any accommodation for 100b a night-even a bed bug infested place will run you around 150-200b minimum. And food has gone up over the years as well, so that 20b bowl of noodles is now 35-45b. Of course 7-11 Mama noodles are around 10b per pack. 

If you are using your tent as your main accommodation then you could find camp grounds charging 100b-150b depending on location per night for you to set up your tent and hammock.  

The camp grounds will also be packed with thai tourist, your whole scheme is very unrealistic, I think we have a troll

Booking site always has $3 or sometimes $2 rooms. Usually dorms, or beds in tents, it's good. And includes many things. 

Checkout Wonderland on booking site for example. Just as an example. I could stay here 1 night and then checkout to find somewhere better (also for $3/night). DO you really think I can't do it? It's so easy to do.

Balcony, River / Garden / Mountain / Lake view Private bathroom Barbecue Free WiFi

• • Balcony
  •  
  • • Garden view
  •  
  • • Mountain view
  •  
  • • River view
  •  
  • • Seating Area
  •  
  • • Mosquito net
  •  
  • • Shower
  •   
  • • Shared Toilet
  •  
  • • Minibar
  •  
  • • Kitchen
  •  
  • • Kitchenware
  •   
  • • Board games/puzzles

Lots of small businesses are suffering these days.

You are hardly helping the local economies by buying a 20-30 baht meal and staying in places that are probably not making a profit on a $3 room...

Yes you can do it, but you are not achieving much apart from proving a few naysayers on here wrong !!

If you aren't trolling then try to help out the villagers you encounter, as you say you have the funds to do so.... 

3 hours ago, sakoo said:

CHAKA: Why wouldn't you suggest Thailand for me? Is it because you don't think I will find 100b/night rooms? Or other reasons? I am usually OK with heat, I don't use A/C. A fan is all I need both for bugs and to fall asleep. I also have a silk bed linen that I travel with, so I can put it on any bed and feel comfortable, as long as the bed is not broken, etc.. Bed bugs are a concern, but I think I have enough experience to know what's what when I enter a guesthouse. So do you still think Thailand is not right for me? I used to live there. So i am not 100% sure why Thailand doesn't seem like the place? I am also going to Laos, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Cambodia, Vietnam. All will be visited on a 100b/night budget (or better). I speak Thai as well and several other languages including many Asian languages. 

OWL: Thank you for the admission about jealousy. I am very interested to learn more about this jealousy. Is it personal? Or do they simply resent something in themselves? An inability or unwillingness that they seem be succeeding and then want to bring me down? Is it like a form of macho behaviour between men? Or would they attack a woman in such a personal way as well? 

Regarding these ladies of the night, do they want a farang who pays them? Or are they simply attracted to handsome men? Do they want anything other than a sexual experience? For example, will they leech or latch on after it's said and done? And do they realize not all farang are a like? And that we have different cultures related to sex and women? I can't imagine having to explain that in Thai, but it may be necessary. Do they respect a pro-family farang? Or they think we are all after sex? 

It seems you recommend ISAN provinces over Chiang Mai and Pai. Don't you think Chiang Mai and Pai will actually be cheaper than Isan? Because of the volume of people? I can possibly get 100b dorm with fan, and eat the market. Can I do that in Isan for less? Or about the same? 

And when you say Nong Khai, do you mean the city in Nong Khai as well? What kind of deal can I get in Nong Khai? Let's say I want to spend a week in a guesthouse, how much do they want compared with what I can get by browsing in Chiang Mai or Pai? 

In Pai for example, there are 300 guesthouses and hotels, I could check into one I find on Agoda or Booking for the first night, let's say for $2 or 3/night, and then spend that day looking for even better places around the same price range that have shared open air garden showers where you can wipe yourself down under the moonlight. Romantic yes, but possible, no? That is the question for you! 

I am just asking if it's even worth it to go to rural Thailand when i can just get the best deals in places with the highest volume? Like Chiang Mai and Pai? They are not islands, or beaches, so no reason for them to be expensive, and if I go in low season, I can avoid the riff raff and jealous types. I can then also focus on Thai language acquisition, exercises (such as yoga, weightroom) and maybe even cooking classes, if they can be found for under 1000b/full day class. 

But there is no way I want to be around anywhere with a dog market. I am an animal lover and I have cats and I cannot bear it. That's not for me. I also avoid certain markets that deal in animals. I can pick up on the suffering in the eye contact I make with the animals. Elephants especially, I feel their pain, especially the baby elephants who are abused to have their will broken from a young age to ready them for a lifetime of servitude to disgusting human beings with no morals.

Depends what you want from life I guess. My backpacking days (did the Caribbean and Africa) are finished and I know that it can be tough as well as rewarding. As most farang on TVForum are advanced in years, and are mostly living on memory, it's only natural for them to be jealous of a young person doing now what they used to do themselves in their younger days. Nowadays, I get more pleasure from feeding my fish (which I did 2 hours ago) than visiting new places.

As for the ladies. Thai ladies can be very accommodating. They are also very generous. But if it's not for you, they they could respect that.

I put my foot in in by suggesting a stewed dog meal for 20 baht. Sorry! There is a place near Sawang Dan Ding that does some good grub on the cheap. It's located behind the abattoir, near Tesco.

Good luck with your traveling.

Respect bro'.

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Lots of small businesses are suffering these days.

You are hardly helping the local economies by buying a 20-30 baht meal and staying in places that are probably not making a profit on a $3 room...

Yes you can do it, but you are not achieving much apart from proving a few naysayers on here wrong !!

If you aren't trolling then try to help out the villagers you encounter, as you say you have the funds to do so.... 

Of course I will help the villagers, I will eat at their restaurants, ordering every item on the menu that I can eat, I will also try all their fruit juices, every fruit, I will take their massages, every parlour, I will do a massage circuit, I will eat roti from different people, until I find the best roti for 15b. I will eat Pad Thai hold the egg from as many places as possible, I will do a Pad Thai circuit, dont worry I am a spender, just not on accomodation, since I only consider it a place to crash when I am tired, not really a place to take photos of my room and put it on youtube to show how nice of a room I have, I know some people consider travel the hotel experience, but I find that repulsive, I spend the least on accom and the most on food, and services, I also join the gym, etc..

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Depends what you want from life I guess. My backpacking days (did the Caribbean and Africa) are finished and I know that it can be tough as well as rewarding. As most farang on TVForum are advanced in years, and are mostly living on memory, it's only natural for them to be jealous of a young person doing now what they used to do themselves in their younger days. Nowadays, I get more pleasure from feeding my fish (which I did 2 hours ago) than visiting new places.

As for the ladies. Thai ladies can be very accommodating. They are also very generous. But if it's not for you, they they could respect that.

I put my foot in in by suggesting a stewed dog meal for 20 baht. Sorry! There is a place near Sawang Dan Ding that does some good grub on the cheap. It's located behind the abattoir, near Tesco.

Good luck with your traveling.

Respect bro'.

Thank you, now I understand it is an age jealousy, they are sad they are not travelers anymore? It makes sense the hostility now. Why did you not react as they did? And how come they have since disappeared from this thread? 

Where in East Asia can you sleep for b100 a night? Even the NP charges b80 in the Andaman. That's not even including the park fee.

The OP is a bit of a dreamer. He comes to the old man board, not the others of which there are many. Then complains about free advice and calls everyone a racist. Too lol.

24 minutes ago, sakoo said:

they are sad they are not travelers anymore?

I'm better pat of 60 and I'd wager I could still travel circles around you

I still do 20 hour plane flights and spend ten days straight in a tent when work permits. Ten years ago I was literally living out of a tent five months a year in the Andaman. I'd only come onshore to pick up supplies. Cook and sometimes fish too. Nov to April.

Even when I was 45 and still traveling East Asia and India circuits. See all these young baby travelers with their 60L packs and music and pillows and whatever.

I can travel harder, longer, farther and faster than all you candy ass children half my age.

You know nothing of us boy. Pull it up. Show some respect. I've spent half my life abroad and 2/3 of that living out of a backpack.

7 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Where in East Asia can you sleep for b100 a night? Even the NP charges b80 in the Andaman. That's not even including the park fee.

Siem Reap in Cambodia earlier this year.

You can have a bed and 2 or 3 beers for 100bht/night.

The bar was really good, live music at the weekend and a free pool table.

cambodia.jpg

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Siem Reap in Cambodia earlier this year.

You can have a bed and 2 or 3 beers for 100bht/night.

The bar was really good, live music at the weekend and a free pool table.

cambodia.jpg

Fair enough. One loud dorm with drunken children AND a beer.

+2

8 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

"According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index, today's prices in 2019 are 422.00% higher than average prices throughout 1974. The dollar experienced an average inflation rate of 3.74% per year during this period, meaning the real value of a dollar decreased.

In other words, $3,600 in 1974 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $18,792.00 in 2019, a difference of $15,192.00 over 45 years."

Equates to approx 785 baht/day. So you could live on that, just.....

You can long term rent a fine bungalow or little house from average 200 baht to 300 baht a day – equals 6,000 baht to 9,000 baht a month – and you can survive fine in food and drinks for another 200 baht a day, if you avoid up-price places, or even little less. You would still have an average of 285 baht to 385 baht a day for other expenses...????

Who would be jealous of someone who worries about spending over 100 baht a night on a room??????  nobody.  if he said he can't stay in a room under 5000 a night, then I can see people becoming jealous.  Being a backpacker is not glamorous.   It's their lack of responsibilities that makes it possibly good, not always.  being alone is not better than being with someone else.  the key is to have money, freedom, and people to spend time with.  maybe a family, maybe not.  i traveled "cheap" around the world when I was younger (decades ago), but on 30,000 baht a month after saving 500,000 for the trip.  I was a backpacker until I found a nice city, and stayed for a few months.  it's simply an experience, so if this guy must do it and has no responsibilities.....good.  but i'm not jealous.  

10 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

In other words, $3,600 in 1974 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $18,792.00 in 2019, a difference of $15,192.00 over 45 years."

Purchasing power is a bit of an odd calculation, as they only compare products on sale then and now.

How about comparing the cost of buying every record manufactured on or before 1974, with every music recording provided for the cost of a fibre internet connection now. Same for movies.

How about televisions, how much was a 65" tv in 1974?

Or a personal computer, or a mobile phone?

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

And for the cheapest provinces; Nong Khai is right up there as is Udon. But for sheer economy try Sakon Nakon, or is it Nakon Sakon? Always get confused with that one. Not to be confused with Nakon Ratchasima (khorat). Stay well clear of that place. The food is expensive, the ladies too wise for their own good and is too upmarket for what you seek.

They do still have a thriving dog market in Sakon Nakon, and a plate of dog stew (on the bone), shouldn't set you back more than 20 baht.

I thought the dog market was shut down in the city on the way to Nakon Phanom. Forget name of city, they have a large Christian community.

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Purchasing power is a bit of an odd calculation, as they only compare products on sale then and now.

How about comparing the cost of buying every record manufactured on or before 1974, with every music recording provided for the cost of a fibre internet connection now. Same for movies.

How about televisions, how much was a 65" tv in 1974?

Or a personal computer, or a mobile phone?

All that differences is however included in the various weighted index.

You cannot compare single products with not invented technology, like black vinyl vs. download, but you can compare price for music consumption, or telephone conversation, or TV-viewing. The latter might include the costs of an average bought TV-set, which today is rather like 40" digital flat-screen compared to an around 24" tube in 1974, spread over a lifetime periode, which also might have changed, as today some electronics get technologically worn out before the materials wear out.

The odd calculation in purchase power is, that some of us focus on certain products. If you don't own a car, and don't need much transportation, fuel prices has less impact in your budget. Same living in a small place that don't require much heating during a cold winter.

A heavy music consumer might have a lower budget for listening to his favorite music now, where he might individually select on streaming, instead of buying records and/or tapes. But if the consumer wish to own new pressings in black vinyl – some increasing number of folks actually do buy records – he will probably pay the average index increase of 4-5 times the 1974 vinyl album price, it actually fit quite well.

However, the weighted consumer price index is the best general comparison we have without taking the individual preferences into consideration, and thereby not being able to compare.

On 11/16/2019 at 12:54 AM, sakoo said:

Thank you. I will spend 30 days at a time and then fly out to a neighbouring country for a few days (or up to 30 days there) and then back to Thailand again (for another free 30 days). Another option i have is to get a 60 day visa in advance. I will probably avoid the overland visa runs. So let's say 30 days in the North for example, and another 30 days in the South, and maybe another 30 days for the west/east. 

Once I find a guesthouse I like, or somewhere quiet and safe to pitch my tent, I would like to spend 1 week there, mostly to practice speaking Thai, try out all the different massage places, food places, etc..But I will be traveling slowly, not quickly. 

I like the sea if it's not developed, a coconut shack is OK, but nothing expensive. Will probably avoid expensive islands as well. My budget per night of accom is 100b, and 20b/meal. I like the sea more than the mountains, but if the mountains are a better deal overall, I will choose the mountains. And I don't mind the rain, also not really interested by hiking, more the view from my hammock while reading a book and drinking a fruit juice. Not looking for group tours, expensive activities or liquor parties. And i like the rain, especially the sound of thunder, and the cloud formations and colours. I like planning my day around the rains. And I feel comforted by rain. But I am sensitive to mosquitos. 

And why do people feel offended by those of us on a low budget? I am intending to support Thailand (and its people) with my tourist dollars. I just want to be smart about it. I don't like the mass tourism so that is why I avoid upmarket places because I see so many people go down that road. I think it does more harm than good. Also, one of the reasons Thailand is not what it once was. Keeping things low-cost is a good thing, so that is why I travel that way. Also, it teaches humility and minimalism is underrated. 

Forget it. Your plan is rooted in western preconceptions and ignorance of Thailand and Asia in gneral. Your kind of poverty holiday is exploitative and parasitic.

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

that would be interesting to know as he intends to "pitch my tent/camping"  555

Camping in Thailand? Among the most poverty stricken Thais? The OP is a 'misery tourist ' who plans to give nothing to Thailand or the Thai people.  Give me a sex tourist anyday!

On 11/16/2019 at 12:54 AM, sakoo said:

Thank you. I will spend 30 days at a time and then fly out to a neighbouring country for a few days (or up to 30 days there) and then back to Thailand again (for another free 30 days). Another option i have is to get a 60 day visa in advance. I will probably avoid the overland visa runs. So let's say 30 days in the North for example, and another 30 days in the South, and maybe another 30 days for the west/east. 

Once I find a guesthouse I like, or somewhere quiet and safe to pitch my tent, I would like to spend 1 week there, mostly to practice speaking Thai, try out all the different massage places, food places, etc..But I will be traveling slowly, not quickly. 

I like the sea if it's not developed, a coconut shack is OK, but nothing expensive. Will probably avoid expensive islands as well. My budget per night of accom is 100b, and 20b/meal. I like the sea more than the mountains, but if the mountains are a better deal overall, I will choose the mountains. And I don't mind the rain, also not really interested by hiking, more the view from my hammock while reading a book and drinking a fruit juice. Not looking for group tours, expensive activities or liquor parties. And i like the rain, especially the sound of thunder, and the cloud formations and colours. I like planning my day around the rains. And I feel comforted by rain. But I am sensitive to mosquitos. 

And why do people feel offended by those of us on a low budget? I am intending to support Thailand (and its people) with my tourist dollars. I just want to be smart about it. I don't like the mass tourism so that is why I avoid upmarket places because I see so many people go down that road. I think it does more harm than good. Also, one of the reasons Thailand is not what it once was. Keeping things low-cost is a good thing, so that is why I travel that way. Also, it teaches humility and minimalism is underrated. 

Yes I can see humility is your strong point along with budgeting. This is a troll.

Archived