Which Thai provinces are the cheapest?

sakoo

20 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Yes Sakoo, thanks for the heads up. An advanced member that has been on TVForum for many years. Most of the farang on here would be simply jealous of your exploits and future conquests. And indeed your sheer adventurism.

"And why do you think the ladies offer me food for free?" Well the ladies in the cheaper provinces are very welcoming. They will offer to share their food with you. And if you are lucky, offer a spare room for you to get your head down. However, don't be surprised if sometime in the night you are joined by the lady of the house, or her sister or daughter. If you are unlucky it could be her mum. But, as they say. 'many a good tune played on an old fiddle.'

And for the cheapest provinces; Nong Khai is right up there as is Udon. But for sheer economy try Sakon Nakon, or is it Nakon Sakon? Always get confused with that one. Not to be confused with Nakon Ratchasima (khorat). Stay well clear of that place. The food is expensive, the ladies too wise for their own good and is too upmarket for what you seek.

They do still have a thriving dog market in Sakon Nakon, and a plate of dog stew (on the bone), shouldn't set you back more than 20 baht.

So there we have it. Do keep us informed on the forum, on how you are progressing. And keep a detailed log, take plenty of pics. Could be in the future that "Hike around Thailand", could be as well read as "Around the world in 80 shags."

Respect 'bro.

I got cakes on the griddle..life aint nothing until you've played an old fiddle..thank God Im a country boy!

I might have to try the red handkerchief on a stick and travel the LOS looking to share some sticky rice and a place to lay my head..leaving the door cracked and lie in wait!!!!   Love is in the air!!!

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Tagged said:

Edit, 11 000 usd today. 

I could easy live on that budget for 2 years alone in Thailand today. If I had to

US$11,000 x 30bhat =330,000/365= 904 bhat per day. Pretty meager budget- no smoking, drinking, women or excess in that budget. Still easier to live on that amount here than in US or any Western European country. 

20 hours ago, sakoo said:

CHAKA: Why wouldn't you suggest Thailand for me? Is it because you don't think I will find 100b/night rooms? Or other reasons? I am usually OK with heat, I don't use A/C. A fan is all I need both for bugs and to fall asleep. I also have a silk bed linen that I travel with, so I can put it on any bed and feel comfortable, as long as the bed is not broken, etc.. Bed bugs are a concern, but I think I have enough experience to know what's what when I enter a guesthouse. So do you still think Thailand is not right for me? I used to live there. So i am not 100% sure why Thailand doesn't seem like the place? I am also going to Laos, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Cambodia, Vietnam. All will be visited on a 100b/night budget (or better). I speak Thai as well and several other languages including many Asian languages. 

OWL: Thank you for the admission about jealousy. I am very interested to learn more about this jealousy. Is it personal? Or do they simply resent something in themselves? An inability or unwillingness that they seem be succeeding and then want to bring me down? Is it like a form of macho behaviour between men? Or would they attack a woman in such a personal way as well? 

Regarding these ladies of the night, do they want a farang who pays them? Or are they simply attracted to handsome men? Do they want anything other than a sexual experience? For example, will they leech or latch on after it's said and done? And do they realize not all farang are a like? And that we have different cultures related to sex and women? I can't imagine having to explain that in Thai, but it may be necessary. Do they respect a pro-family farang? Or they think we are all after sex? 

It seems you recommend ISAN provinces over Chiang Mai and Pai. Don't you think Chiang Mai and Pai will actually be cheaper than Isan? Because of the volume of people? I can possibly get 100b dorm with fan, and eat the market. Can I do that in Isan for less? Or about the same? 

And when you say Nong Khai, do you mean the city in Nong Khai as well? What kind of deal can I get in Nong Khai? Let's say I want to spend a week in a guesthouse, how much do they want compared with what I can get by browsing in Chiang Mai or Pai? 

In Pai for example, there are 300 guesthouses and hotels, I could check into one I find on Agoda or Booking for the first night, let's say for $2 or 3/night, and then spend that day looking for even better places around the same price range that have shared open air garden showers where you can wipe yourself down under the moonlight. Romantic yes, but possible, no? That is the question for you! 

I am just asking if it's even worth it to go to rural Thailand when i can just get the best deals in places with the highest volume? Like Chiang Mai and Pai? They are not islands, or beaches, so no reason for them to be expensive, and if I go in low season, I can avoid the riff raff and jealous types. I can then also focus on Thai language acquisition, exercises (such as yoga, weightroom) and maybe even cooking classes, if they can be found for under 1000b/full day class. 

But there is no way I want to be around anywhere with a dog market. I am an animal lover and I have cats and I cannot bear it. That's not for me. I also avoid certain markets that deal in animals. I can pick up on the suffering in the eye contact I make with the animals. Elephants especially, I feel their pain, especially the baby elephants who are abused to have their will broken from a young age to ready them for a lifetime of servitude to disgusting human beings with no morals.

Well if you speak thai then go for it---I found trying to sleep above 70 degrees was rough but I did do it on many 80-90 degree nights......just sucked....I did stay in Nong Khai for a month and liked it..found a whole thai house for 150 a day..3000 a month..2 bedroom-2 story...was next to mut mee GH I think the guy died though and the place looked a bit run down last time i stopped by...mut mee private room was 200bt

17 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Depends what you want from life I guess. My backpacking days (did the Caribbean and Africa) are finished and I know that it can be tough as well as rewarding. As most farang on TVForum are advanced in years, and are mostly living on memory, it's only natural for them to be jealous of a young person doing now what they used to do themselves in their younger days. Nowadays, I get more pleasure from feeding my fish (which I did 2 hours ago) than visiting new places.

As for the ladies. Thai ladies can be very accommodating. They are also very generous. But if it's not for you, they they could respect that.

I put my foot in in by suggesting a stewed dog meal for 20 baht. Sorry! There is a place near Sawang Dan Ding that does some good grub on the cheap. It's located behind the abattoir, near Tesco.

Good luck with your traveling.

Respect bro'.

Now you have my attention as far as the thais ladies and how they can be "accommodating"..do tell!!!

13 minutes ago, Onrai said:

US$11,000 x 30bhat =330,000/365= 904 bhat per day. Pretty meager budget- no smoking, drinking, women or excess in that budget. Still easier to live on that amount here than in US or any Western European country. 

Im know there is some who would love to share a flat and some expenses, so not completely true no woman. And a night out or two could also be managed. Some bottles of beer on the beach with the locals, as locals do as an example. 

Edit note, I see your budget is one year, and 30 000,- a month, is very comfortable managable with all the fun you need. At 15 000,- still doable, but takes a bit more effort when it comes to food, and accomodation, and finding the right woman to share if you living with some one, but still doable alone. 

4 hours ago, RedPill said:

lol, excellent, after all your rants, that was what you were looking for, liquor or homemade methanol in a dorm room? ????

Take care your eyes with the cheap booz! ????

Whats your thoughts about Sangsom and the vision thing.as I like it with a dash of ginger ale and lime!

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I like this post.

It reminded me of an incident in London about 20 years ago. I was reported to the police for putting Lidl cooking oil into my Diesel van.

I literally just texted Lidl to someone and then read this...............mind..blown!!..Love my Lidl!!

I would try to budget on 10000 a month and 100 for meals a day....had a room with fan for 2500..bought an old 95 honda dream....ate 3 meals at 35 bt..like red curry with egg on rice...it can be done but I was kinda just existing...scraping by when i didnt have to....might upgrade to AC room and a large bottle of sangsom!  ????

53 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Now you have my attention as far as the thais ladies and how they can be "accommodating"..do tell!!!

Any old survey will show that Thai women are the most promiscuous in the world. The men are right up there too. Not to say there is anything wrong in that. but if he was that way inclined a traveler could use this knowledge to his advantage. Obviously you need to do the groundwork. Thai ladies love to be complimented. So although it might not seem to be of importance, those little things, those little touches, will really count for something. Offering to help with the washing up for instance.

When the lady is talking you look at her lips, and when you talk you look into her eyes. This is basic animalistic traits. If you have a cat you will know that when it is hungry you not only get meows but the eye too. 

Now, as we are all aware in Thailand, 'face' plays a big part in people's lives. So when you retire for the night, don't epect a lady to join you in your room immediately. When she is sure all the others are asleep she will creep into your bed. She will leave before the other house members awake. Only you and the lady would be aware of the passionate joining together.

42 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

I literally just texted Lidl to someone and then read this...............mind..blown!!..Love my Lidl!!

Absolutely. LIDL cooking oil 1 pound a litre; local pump price diesel 2 squids a litre.

I was reported because I was putting litres of the oil in the tank. A neighbor was watching me every day. Evidently it was illegal to do this and also not to put it on your tax return. Fuel duty, and all that. Later I noticed that at each store there was a notice saying they were restricting customers to 12 litres (case) a day.

16 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Any old survey will show that Thai women are the most promiscuous in the world. The men are right up there too. Not to say there is anything wrong in that. but if he was that way inclined a traveler could use this knowledge to his advantage. Obviously you need to do the groundwork. Thai ladies love to be complimented. So although it might not seem to be of importance, those little things, those little touches, will really count for something. Offering to help with the washing up for instance.

When the lady is talking you look at her lips, and when you talk you look into her eyes. This is basic animalistic traits. If you have a cat you will know that when it is hungry you not only get meows but the eye too. 

Now, as we are all aware in Thailand, 'face' plays a big part in people's lives. So when you retire for the night, don't epect a lady to join you in your room immediately. When she is sure all the others are asleep she will creep into your bed. She will leave before the other house members awake. Only you and the lady would be aware of the passionate joining together.

Absolutely. LIDL cooking oil 1 pound a litre; local pump price diesel 2 squids a litre.

I was reported because I was putting litres of the oil in the tank. A neighbor was watching me every day. Evidently it was illegal to do this and also not to put it on your tax return. Fuel duty, and all that. Later I noticed that at each store there was a notice saying they were restricting customers to 12 litres (case) a day.

oh man..that info is gold!!! Im be back this week and got a dozen gals lined up on LINE..lined-LINE-online!

Anyhoo makes sense as the ones Ive met have been secretive and stuff....any thoughts on the chinese gals?

9 hours ago, sakoo said:

That sounds more like mid-range spending. I usually spend far less than that in a day. 100b/day for food. 100b/night for accom. That is the way of things. 

I wrote "fine" bungalow or little house...????

You can rent a room for 3,000 baht a month...????

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Actually, they are 19th in terms of promiscuity and science has proven that staring at their lips will have them dislike you.  Plus, 74% will join you immediately and has no problem staying after others are awake.

Where do you make this stuff up?  lol

10 hours ago, RedPill said:

That's not entirely true, there are also very nice, law abiding people on this forum and in Thailand from EUR/US/OZ who would report you if you don't behave and break the law, i.e. drink illegal homemade methanol or overstay! ????

Yes I know some of them are kind of nice, but once they drunk, the truth comes out, I have heard them be nice to me, and in the shadows say all manner of disgusting racist remarks. They even hate other white people who don't match their ideologies or philosophies, and many of them are self-hating, that's why they end up in Asia, although it never really works out for them. It's a curse brought upon them from their ancestors to be so insular and cold. 

9 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

So you say Trip Advisor is 'the domain of the old and bitter'. That is clearly nonsense and simply innacurate and untrue. This thread, like you I suspect, is a fraud with little or no grounding in reality.

Just empty words, Tripavisor is a bit better than here, in that they actually answer travel questions, but if you give them lip, they will reach in similar ways to you guys. It's a tit for tat culture, because it's the same kind of people, from the same countries, responding on both forums. Here they are a bit more vile than there, but I suspect that's only because people here actually live in Thailand, while over there, they are just self proclaimed experts of visiting Thailand, but most prefer personal attacks and remarks just like the people here. And many of them are British, they are the worst for the sarcastic remarks. It really is the crux of their culture to have nothing deep to say except shallow and often pety remarks about one another. No actual discourse takes place. 

10 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

So you couldn't get a UK visa? 555

Of course I have been there, it is where I gathered much of my data about them, but more revealing was their behaviour ABROAD. Wow, they are the worst tourists. They complain at home that nobody learns English but then themselves go abroad, it is only English they want to speak. They find locals who are Anglicized and in love with anything English and latch on to them and say I am living like a local. It is a fantasy they live. Most of them are deathly afraid of real local culture, and really bad at pronouncing any words at all that aren't already English words. Especially names, they really suck at people's names unless they are English names. They are also the worst at intercultural diplomacy. A real drag they are abroad. Their young ones are almost as bad. And the girls are the easiest of all. And how come so many of them end up dead in Thailand? Could it be the liquor, perhaps? 

10 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

No. Nor anywhere else. His hatred of white nations and I suspect Christians tells you all you need to know.

Wrong sunnyboy, i love Christians, it is the godless types I am talking about. By the way, most Christians in the West turned their back on Christ a long time ago, especially with their obsession over money and wealth. And following church doctrine or what your pastor says doesn't make your Christian. It is the relationship with Christ that matters most. 

9 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The Thai sex industry existed a long time before the tourists came here. But poverty tourists  who seek out the poorest, the cheapest, the most poverty stricken areas for their holiday pleasures are truly the most repellent  exploitative kind of travellers on the planet lacking any kind of moral compass. Give me a sex tourist anyday. At least they are honest,  fun, love life, like people and dont cloak themselves in plastic poverty.

I would argue it was the advent of the Vietnam war and horny American pigs looking to conquer the flesh of another man's woman that started the Thai sex industry and it was the US dollar that got it going. Don't blame the Thais for Western debauchery culture. It is always the fault of the West. They are the worst criminals on the planet. You will see what will happen to the West over next few decades. A slow, steady moral decay. Look at the 18-25 year olds at the full moon party, if you can even stomach them. That is the future of the West. A bunch of spoiled, entitled tattoo heads with no intellect and a lot of pride and boasting. It is the end of Western culture as you knew it, to be replaced by a Global culture that tramples traditional Western values, and the young ones have already subscribed much to their detriment. 

9 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Excuse the hell out of me for assuming you'd be camping.

I apologize if you got the wrong idea. I didn't mean to lash out at you, but some of the other people got me into that kind of mood. It was not targeted at you. You will find I am quite nice once the masses stop attacking me. It all started with that first racist remark about my national background. That's what started this whole enterprise. You got caught up in the whirlwind of my responses and perhaps was bruised by it? The camping hammock is for putting up outside my bungalow, not to use it in the woods, that's crazy, I need to socialize with people, you know. The waterproof tent is only water resistant and I am not going to use it in low season, that would be even crazier. I need to find somewhere with a roof to pitch it under. 

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I don't think Sakoo is a troll. A much overused word on this forum. Even if he is, he (she) is still a human with feelings and all the other human attributes.

Trolling is an art, and makes topics zip along. Done well it is a wonderful input into threads that might otherwise kick the bucket prematurely.

And I don't think it is proper to keep using third person talk. 'He is this, or he does that. Disrespectful in the extreme.

You understand well, Owl. You must be the smart one around here. Tell me, why can't the masses understand that I am sincere with everything I say? I always think it is because they can then dismiss me instead of actually take me for real. A kind of he is not for real, so we don't have to listen to him. He is just a troll, so let's pretend he doesn't exist. This will have the opposite affect on me. It will encourage me to speak out more about such behaviour. It is all too clear what has happened to the psyche of the intimidated human being in 2019. 

7 hours ago, Ventenio said:

Your posts speaks volumes about you.  Look how mad and triggered you get, and you ramble on a billion word diatribe........all negative.   and you think being poor and alone will solve this???

funny how you speak for all Thais and how they don't really like us.  This is projection.   Really, the poor life in the jungle is not the therapy you need.

you are screaming with your words to communicate, but they say you don't want to be around farangs.   yea, OK.  seems like you are begging for a friend.  it's OK, you are young and lost.  

i'm sure you have many theories on why the world is doomed, everything horrible and everyone bad but you will really save people with kindness as you live in a tree and beg for a massage for 11 baht.  you say they love money, so give them some!!  LOL

Very nice, another smart one has spoken. You are right and wrong at the same time. I am not mad, just expressive. It's silly to apply emotions over a chat forum. And this forum is negative, old white men are generally negative so you don't get to complain about other people being negative, even your post was negative so dont be such a white hypo, and just talk about the points, instead of making personal remarks, that's when you don't sound intelligent, although you did say some things correctly. It is true I am a bit lonely, but I am not poor, even if I don't spend money like the rest of you, it doesn't mean I am going to become poor or am seeking poorness. This is just your capitalist mindset projecting, as if poor is bad. It's actually a blessed state, if you didn't know. And I do like to be around people, it is the farang culture I don't want, I don't mind the actual person, if they zip it and show humility but once they get proud like farang love to do, they can take a hike, I'd rather not have them around. I already have some white friends, but they are not 100% friends, because of that pride again, they are usually in love with themselves, narcissistic, and I can smell it on them, so I get turned off, but once I find the exception, I am warm toward them, but they are so rare, so I focus on the majority, which are proud and ignorant, of all ages. And racist too. 

20 minutes ago, sakoo said:

I would argue it was the advent of the Vietnam war and horny American pigs looking to conquer the flesh of another man's woman that started the Thai sex industry and it was the US dollar that got it going. Don't blame the Thais for Western debauchery culture. It is always the fault of the West. They are the worst criminals on the planet. You will see what will happen to the West over next few decades. A slow, steady moral decay. Look at the 18-25 year olds at the full moon party, if you can even stomach them. That is the future of the West. A bunch of spoiled, entitled tattoo heads with no intellect and a lot of pride and boasting. It is the end of Western culture as you knew it, to be replaced by a Global culture that tramples traditional Western values, and the young ones have already subscribed much to their detriment. 

You are still rambling on your sh...t

you pretend to want socialize with people during your trip but everybody here can feel 

the hate in you, and as you had writed you have had already the same problems in the past.

If you are not able to understand that the problem can be you and your behavior because you are too selfish for be that smart, how someone here can help you?

Are you a black muslim? You seems to have a real problem with the racism too, yet

you are the only one referering all the time to white people in negative words.

So what is your next step? Is it to praise muslim countries and their archaic way of life?

Imo your fake topic was just a way to have a public, so if a mod is in the area the best

way is to close this mess ass soon as possible.

7 hours ago, Tagged said:

Luxery, is when you have a bed and a bathroom to yourself with shower and toilet. I you also have an balcony on top of that, you will feel like a king. Add a nice view and you are really on the top of the world. Thats worth working for. And if you have a woman next to you, you own the world ???? at least some of us feel we do ????

Pride! Vanity! Lust! All avenues leading to your moral and spiritual destruction.  Wake up, Uncle Bob! You're heading the wrong way. Come back to the light, and stay clear of material darkness. 

6 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Well if you speak thai then go for it---I found trying to sleep above 70 degrees was rough but I did do it on many 80-90 degree nights......just sucked....I did stay in Nong Khai for a month and liked it..found a whole thai house for 150 a day..3000 a month..2 bedroom-2 story...was next to mut mee GH I think the guy died though and the place looked a bit run down last time i stopped by...mut mee private room was 200bt

Excellent someone is actually still on topic. Thank you! And did you enjoy a 20b Pad Thai at the market? How much did you make for spicy red veggie curry? 

6 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Yep I even had a thai wooden house right on meekong in nong khai for 3000 a month..liked that town..

and super easy visa runs!

Please elaborate on Nong Khai? How much was the massage? 1 hour traditional, no oil? What about the moto bike rental for 1 week? And was it the cheapest part of Isan? 

Archived