Bank Letter for Retirement Extension

acepredator

Greetings Chiang Mai expats. I hope the voice(s) of experience can assist me by answering a simple question. I must renew my retirement extension next week. Can I obtain the bank letter from Bangkok Bank attesting that I have the requisite 800,000 baht in the bank the afternoon before I plan to go to Immigration? If so, I could queue up early the next morning before the bank opens. If the letter must be dated the same date as the visit to Immigration, I wouldn't be able to join the queue until much later in the day, possibly even missing the chance to do the renewal that day. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

No, it does not have to be dated the same day. It is supposed to be valid for one week. I have used a letter from several days before up to the day before to get the retirement extension. I have never used one dated the same day and never had any problems.

Is your planned retirement extension next week based on an original OA Visa or an O Visa for retirement?

If on an OA Visa, you might be queried about health-insurance.

And if you are indeed on an OA Visa, please keep the Forum informed of what happened during your application as it is presently still unclear whether the health-insurance requirement is enforced on extensions of stay based on such an original OA Visa.

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, neilrob said:

No, it does not have to be dated the same day. It is supposed to be valid for one week. I have used a letter from several days before up to the day before to get the retirement extension. I have never used one dated the same day and never had any problems.

So Immigration did not also ask to see your updated bank book in addition to the Bank letter?... if so was your bankbook updated the same day or several days before you went in?... 

As different IO's/Offices have different interpretations of the "rules" we always have the bank letter from the previous day and update the book on the same day by making a withdrawal from the account,update the book via the ATM and make a copy of the updated page.

12 minutes ago, Thailand said:

As different IO's/Offices have different interpretations of the "rules" we always have the bank letter from the previous day and update the book on the same day by making a withdrawal from the account,update the book via the ATM and make a copy of the updated page.

CM is clear valid 7 days and update bank book day of extension application, as attached from CM Imm Office

imm4.jpg

4 hours ago, sfokevin said:

So Immigration did not also ask to see your updated bank book in addition to the Bank letter?... if so was your bankbook updated the same day or several days before you went in?... 

Of course the original of the bank book is needed, together with a copy (and several other documents). However, the OP asked about the bank letter, not about the bank book, and I was replying to the OP's question.

To answer your question, I have always presented a bank book updated on the day of the letter, not on the day of the extension, and this has never been queried.

5 hours ago, acepredator said:

Sorry, should have mentioned that my planned extension next week is of a Retirement O, rather than OA, visa. So no need to worry about mandatory health insurance at this time.

I had my bank letter done one day before the application date. Immigration accepted that.

I heard it is valid for 1 week.

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

I did not need to update my bank book on the day of application because mine is a Fixed Deposit account.

I just asked the bank to print a statement of my Fixed Deposit account the same day as my bank letter and the immigration accepted that even though the statement is printed one day before.

There's no point going on two different days to the bank - one day to get bank letter and one day to get the bank book updated. Might as well do both on the same day to save one trip.

Maybe they require it to be updated on application date for savings bank account only.

I believe there may be a difference if you use one account for day to day living AND the 800k security deposit.

I know a guy who does this and when he presented his paperwork was told to get it done the same day.

I keep a separate account for my 800k and have never had problems in doing the letter and statement copies a few days prior. Never hurts to have your bank book with you as well.

17 hours ago, nichopaulcnx said:

Bank letter in valid for 7 days and your bank book should be updated the same day you apply for your extension..

For those using the 800k method to support an extension based on retirement and keep the funds in a savings account, there have been some posts saying they require the savings account passbook to be updated the same date as your date of application (and some posts saying they've updated those prior to the date of application without any problem); however, for those having separate term accounts (6 months, 11 months, etc.) at some banks (Siam Commercial Bank, for example), those passbooks cannot be updated regardless of who sticks the passbook in the update machine.  My last annual extension was in April of this year and the last entry in my fixed term passbook was December of 2018 (when the 800k rolled over into a new term) and there was no question or problem about it.

At different times, either Hubby or I have used the 800,000 baht method, most recently Hubby since my pension started this year and we decided to use that pension for Thai expenses and change his pension to be used for U.S. bills and switch our Thai funds so that he is using the 800,000 baht method now.

Anyway, in over a decade of 800,000 baht extensions, we've always gotten the bank letter and bank book update the day before applying for a retirement visa extension.  Used both fixed and regular savings accounts from Bangkok Bank, but the savings accounts weren't very active.  Never have we been requested to go get an update on the day of application by Immigration.  The update from the day before, matching the amount on the bank letter was accepted.  Always Chiang Mai Immigration.  

I have always done the letter one day earlier due to travel etc and never updated Passbook as I use fixed deposit a/c. (I am using the CM IO).  I always have my 'working' account passbook with me as well in order to show that I have living money coming in and out of it, but it has never been asked for.

Thanks very much for all the helpful responses to my query. I'll go to Bangkok Bank, where I also have a day-to-day passbook account in addition to a fixed account with 800,000, the day before my trip to Immigration. It seems certain that there won't be any complications in successfully obtaining my renewal.

Archived