BANGKOK
acepredator

Bank Letter for Retirement Extension

17 hours ago, nichopaulcnx said:

Bank letter in valid for 7 days and your bank book should be updated the same day you apply for your extension..

For those using the 800k method to support an extension based on retirement and keep the funds in a savings account, there have been some posts saying they require the savings account passbook to be updated the same date as your date of application (and some posts saying they've updated those prior to the date of application without any problem); however, for those having separate term accounts (6 months, 11 months, etc.) at some banks (Siam Commercial Bank, for example), those passbooks cannot be updated regardless of who sticks the passbook in the update machine.  My last annual extension was in April of this year and the last entry in my fixed term passbook was December of 2018 (when the 800k rolled over into a new term) and there was no question or problem about it.

At different times, either Hubby or I have used the 800,000 baht method, most recently Hubby since my pension started this year and we decided to use that pension for Thai expenses and change his pension to be used for U.S. bills and switch our Thai funds so that he is using the 800,000 baht method now.

Anyway, in over a decade of 800,000 baht extensions, we've always gotten the bank letter and bank book update the day before applying for a retirement visa extension.  Used both fixed and regular savings accounts from Bangkok Bank, but the savings accounts weren't very active.  Never have we been requested to go get an update on the day of application by Immigration.  The update from the day before, matching the amount on the bank letter was accepted.  Always Chiang Mai Immigration.  

• Like 1

I have always done the letter one day earlier due to travel etc and never updated Passbook as I use fixed deposit a/c. (I am using the CM IO).  I always have my 'working' account passbook with me as well in order to show that I have living money coming in and out of it, but it has never been asked for.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for all the helpful responses to my query. I'll go to Bangkok Bank, where I also have a day-to-day passbook account in addition to a fixed account with 800,000, the day before my trip to Immigration. It seems certain that there won't be any complications in successfully obtaining my renewal.