Savanakhet TR visa rejected!

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think that is the intention. It is only in Laos that there is a ongoing problem with getting at tourist visa after working here. Thay have tightened up to discourage people from going there to get tourist visas.

They needed to do something to stop the vans full of people on Monday and Wednesday.

14 hours ago, problemfarang said:

Well, this will be so interesting...

Thai immigration law says leave the country in 24 hours after your NON-B ends. means your visa... So normally you should go and get a new TR visa, come back and look for a new job or continue doing your non-b paper work with your company.

But now at least for Laos, this is not like this anymore. They will not give you a TR visa because.. you lived here too long. 

I really wonder now, what is next? what people will do? For example... go back to your country and try your luck for another TR? really whats next? its totally nonsense!

Yes it's nonsense.  Some people have been living and working here for decades, with a family here, kids at school, car, property etc.  If your job comes to an end, either because you quit, are fired or the organisation shuts down, your right to live here on a work extension/work permit ceases that day.  Getting a Tourist visa from a neighbouring country to allow you to remain in Thailand to find a new job, and get the paperwork for a non-B, has always been the way to do it.  Suggesting someone should fly back to their home country is ridiculous as they won't be able to find the new job in Thailand from there!  

I have a feeling that there must be more to this, possibly because the person in question is from Bhutan. It would be good to have some kind of official confirmation about the process I have described.

On 11/17/2019 at 7:49 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Suggesting someone should fly back to their home country is ridiculous as they won't be able to find the new job in Thailand from there!  

Not sure who said that but it was not correct as I wrote before. Probably a consular officer just putting out an excuse for not doing it.

On 11/17/2019 at 7:49 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

I have a feeling that there must be more to this, possibly because the person in question is from Bhutan. It would be good to have some kind of official confirmation about the process I have described.

I am sure it is not related to his nationality.

Vientiane and Savannakhet are the only locations that are a problem at this time. They seem to trying to get a reputation for making a problem so people do not go there for tourist visas.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Nearby options are the embassy in Kuala Lumpur or the consulate in Penang.

Here is KL's requirements to apply for a tourist visa.http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/contents/images/text_editor/files/1_1.pdf

More info is here along with a link to their appointment site.site. http://www.thaiembassy.org/kualalumpur/th/services/99061-Visa-Requirements-II.html

If he cannot get a tourist or transit visa in Vientiane flying to KL is a good option.

thanks. he said his embassy told him he can get a arrival visa (2 weeks) if he fly to thailand.. so thats what he will do 

Edited by problemfarang

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

You could interpret it as Thailand wishing to discourage foreigners from resigning from their current jobs. Since there is no mechanism for staying briefly in Thailand between jobs, Thailand is being moved closer to the system operated by some other (especially Middle Eastern) countries where you are indentured to your employer.

you know what... this is sad and bad but what you said... really make sense.. just to cover up their between job mistake!

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think that is the intention. It is only in Laos that there is a ongoing problem with getting at tourist visa after working here. Thay have tightened up to discourage people from going there to get tourist visas.

In my very old 2 or 3 posts, when VIEN started this appointment thing and so on, i told everyone SAV will do something similar for sure. And tbh this can be it! Maybe they really want to slow down coming people before it becomes same as Poi pet or VIEN... just an opinion..

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes it's nonsense.  Some people have been living and working here for decades, with a family here, kids at school, car, property etc.  If your job comes to an end, either because you quit, are fired or the organisation shuts down, your right to live here on a work extension/work permit ceases that day.  Getting a Tourist visa from a neighbouring country to allow you to remain in Thailand to find a new job, and get the paperwork for a non-B, has always been the way to do it.  Suggesting someone should fly back to their home country is ridiculous as they won't be able to find the new job in Thailand from there!  

Hi both embassies in Laos (VIEN and SAV) didnt tell him its because of nationality. They told him that they dont give anymore TR visa who finished working in thailand and come to get a new TR visa. Reason: living in thailand for too long

they suggested him to go back to Bhutan and get it from there. And they closed the window on his face and refuse to talk to him anymore!

Edited by problemfarang
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure who said that but it was not correct as I wrote before. Probably a consular officer just putting out an excuse for not doing it.

the officer in SAV told him like that. said they dont give TR visa to people who quitted from job and come to get TR visa anymore.. VIEN told him the same. they told him to go back to his own country and get it from there.

Edited by problemfarang

On 11/17/2019 at 8:43 AM, ubonjoe said:

I am sure it is not related to his nationality.

Vientiane and Savannakhet are the only locations that are a problem at this time. They seem to trying to get a reputation for making a problem so people do not go there for tourist visas.

sounds true. They dont want to end up like VIEN embassy... or Poi pet

On 11/17/2019 at 9:16 AM, problemfarang said:

Hi both embassies in Laos (VIEN and SAV) didnt tell him its because of nationality. They told him that they dont give anymore TR visa who finished working in thailand and come to get a new TR visa. Reason: living in thailand for too long

they suggested him to go back to Bhutan and get it from there. And they closed the window on his face and refuse to talk to him anymore!

I agree that "officially" it wouldn't be because of his nationality, but possibly the office felt otherwise!  I hope he gets it sorted soon.  My wife and son live here, and my son goes to international school here) as my dependents on the back of my work permit/extension.  It would be near impossible for all of us to uproot on a day's (or even 7 day's) notice, should my work finish.  

I may start a separate thread, but I'm wondering whether I could get my son an Extension for studying at an international school, and then add myself and my wife to that?