Windows Product Key

eltel

On 11/17/2019 at 3:13 PM, KhunBENQ said:

OS Trading Company UG, Albstadt, Germany.

Just checked. Yes but now 17.90 Euro.

Website is in German only.

PM me if interested (link).

BTW: they also offer "audit proof" licenses for commercial/educational use.

39.90 Euro.

PM sent.

What is an audit proof license? 

On 11/17/2019 at 2:10 PM, maxpower said:

Google - What is a Windows 10 OEM product key - to find out why these are cheaper than retail versions.

The Microsoft activation server validates the key and pairs it with information taken from the computer. 

Like everything else, buy from sellers with feedback or decent reputation then if a key fails to activate they will mail you another key.

It's my understanding an OEM key can only be used in the device it was originally installed on.  Is that correct? 

I have read positive feedback from buyers saying keys validate fine, but like you say, if they don't, they just send another one.  So, where are they getting all these cheap keys to just keep giving a buyer keys until one works? 

59 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

So, where are they getting all these cheap keys to just keep giving a buyer keys until one works? 

Blocks of OEM keys are issued by Microsoft to builders of new PC's. They are single device activated and not transferable beyond Microsoft's hardware modification limits.

There are places in the chain and holes in the rules that allow these keys to get released and sold by online sellers. Microsoft often turns a blind eye to this activity.

2 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

What is an audit proof license? 

I am not too deep into this audit process/procedures.

Particularly for commercial users (businesses) Microsoft might require an audit ("check") about the SW licenses used ("Microsoft license compliance verification").

The license trader will provide necessary documents/support for proof of legality.

VERY unlikely that this affects you.

most of the keys sold on websites actually come from Microsoft DreamSpark (now I believe it is Microsoft Azure)

basically they are Microsoft programs that lets you generate practically unlimited amount of OEM (single use and hardware locked) keys for College and Universities

the keys are genuine (if you get from proper channels) but they are not meant to be sold.

I have activated well over 20 of them over the years and only one of them failed because I didn't use it soon enough - I waited about 6 months and they probably expire after XX days.. however, the seller, which I had business with multiple times just gave me a new one.

I used to be able to get Windows 8 keys and use them while installing Windows 10 but I have just checked and he doesn't sell them anymore, the current price for Windows 10 Pro is $45 (USD)

you can save $10 on that if you are willing to use Windows 10 Pro N (which is just Windows 10 minus the Windows Media Player - it has to be installed manually)

and I am sure you can find them much cheaper than that too on sites listed above

23 hours ago, maxpower said:

Blocks of OEM keys are issued by Microsoft to builders of new PC's. They are single device activated and not transferable beyond Microsoft's hardware modification limits.

There are places in the chain and holes in the rules that allow these keys to get released and sold by online sellers. Microsoft often turns a blind eye to this activity.

Ok.  Thanks for the explanation.

I was wondering how, for example, Microsoft sells thousands of licenses dedicated for, say, Dell machines, but one of those licenses ends up being installed on a, say, Asus machine, why they would allow that to happen. 

I suppose too difficult for Microsoft to keep track of. 

23 hours ago, ricklev said:

It's completely no big deal.  Buy a key on ebay from a seller with lots of good feedback as noted above, for a few dollars, plug in the key and it will work, probably forever.  Never had a problem and the whole process takes about 5 minutes.

I get that, and will be buying a cheap license.

My question is, where are these cheap licenses coming from, and how to tell if they are genuine?

It's the big difference in price that makes me suspicious of the cheap licenses. 

I know a couple of people who've bought the cheap ebay licence keys and they've all worked. The guys are former licenced microsoft technicians. They say the licence keys come from computers being scrapped. The ebay sellers email the details first then send the original labels by post.

22 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

It is still free to upgrade.

Well, I thought the free upgrade ended in 2016, but after a quick Google, I found this article.

It looks like the free upgrade is still possible.  Thanks for the information. It's worth a try before buying a license.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-to-windows-10-free-heres-how/

21 hours ago, kekalot said:

most of the keys sold on websites actually come from Microsoft DreamSpark (now I believe it is Microsoft Azure)

basically they are Microsoft programs that lets you generate practically unlimited amount of OEM (single use and hardware locked) keys for College and Universities

the keys are genuine (if you get from proper channels) but they are not meant to be sold.

I have activated well over 20 of them over the years and only one of them failed because I didn't use it soon enough - I waited about 6 months and they probably expire after XX days.. however, the seller, which I had business with multiple times just gave me a new one.

I used to be able to get Windows 8 keys and use them while installing Windows 10 but I have just checked and he doesn't sell them anymore, the current price for Windows 10 Pro is $45 (USD)

you can save $10 on that if you are willing to use Windows 10 Pro N (which is just Windows 10 minus the Windows Media Player - it has to be installed manually)

and I am sure you can find them much cheaper than that too on sites listed above

Ok, so, the licenses are genuine, but in effect, stolen.  Is that right?

7 minutes ago, Farma said:

I know a couple of people who've bought the cheap ebay licence keys and they've all worked. The guys are former licenced microsoft technicians. They say the licence keys come from computers being scrapped. The ebay sellers email the details first then send the original labels by post.

Most of what I have seen for sale is just an email with a license number.  Nothing posted.

I thought these licenses were attached to some sort of Hard Disc Drive identification. 

Archived