BANGKOK
bahtboy

Need advice on modem

A few weeks ago I had a problem trying to connect my printer by wifi to my chromebook. I went back and forth from Brother (make of printer) help service in Bangkok and TOT. Each blaming the other. I called TOT and an engineer came out to my condo. Just before he arrived I realised that it was a simple problem which I stupidly allowed to happen and I corrected the mistake and all was well. When the engineer arrived I kept quiet about what I had done because I was embarrassed and the office had told me he was already on his way. Well, having explained that it seemed to be ok now, he proceeded to tell me that the problem was probably caused by the modem which TOT had supplied and he changed the modem and took the old one away. So all is running well now, BUT I have an android TV box which is connected to wifi via the modem. Since he changed the modem I have been getting buffering/ poor streaming on certain, not all, tv programmes when using the android box. These are mainly live sports programmes. If I move to a different tv channel then back to the delinquent one, the buffering goes away but comes back again. 

My thoughts are that the modem which I have now is not as good as the one which the engineer took away. Maybe I am wrong on this but would like comments from members who would know a lot more than I do. The modem which he took away was a Kasda make with 4 antennae. The modem which I have now is a TP-Link which says "Model Archer VR1200v   ver 1.0" 

Would I be better to get this modem changed for a more powerful one. Recommendations sought please. Regards, bahtboy.

TOT provides a modem / router all in one, the modem part "translates" the incoming signal and the router part sends that signal to various devices, either by LAN (wire) or via WiFi

I don't know if your " android box " has the ability to use a wired connection, if so , use that, if not, it appears to me that you need to go into the modem / router and check the Wifi settings, since their appears to be a conflict that is causing a lost signal 

Thanks for the reply, Langsuan Man. Actually, my android box is connected by wire to the modem/router. Always has been. I get confused when trying to describe these type of issues. As to going into my modem/router to check the wifi settings, well, that would be beyond my capabilities. 

Well if your box is hard wired then you don't need WiFi, but now we know this bit of information the conflict might be that your Android box is receiving two signals, micro seconds apart, one from the LAN (wire) and another by WiFi, which would explain your conflict

My suggestion to test this theory, since you can't go into the setting menu on your router / modem, is to either remove the antennas on the r/m or move the TV box farther away from the router / modem and see if that helps 

26 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Well if your box is hard wired then you don't need WiFi, but now we know this bit of information the conflict might be that your Android box is receiving two signals, micro seconds apart, one from the LAN (wire) and another by WiFi, which would explain your conflict

My suggestion to test this theory, since you can't go into the setting menu on your router / modem, is to either remove the antennas on the r/m or move the TV box farther away from the router / modem and see if that helps 

Thanks for suggestions, but new modem/router doesn't have (external) antennae, and wire length restricts moving box further away. Is it not possible that the new modem isn't powerful/efficient enough?