UK PM Johnson says Brexit transition period will not be extended

snoop1130

UK PM Johnson says Brexit transition period will not be extended

8923.PNG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaks as he visits an electric car plant in Warwickshire, Britain November 13, 2019. REUTERS/Rebecca Naden/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Britain he will “absolutely guarantee” that his government will not extend the Brexit transition period before the end of year.

“I don’t want an extension,” Johnson told the BBC. “If we can get a working majority, all we need is 9 more seats, then can absolutely guarantee” not seeking an extension.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-15

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Johnson should print his promises on soft tissue.

They might at least then be put to good use.

Same same Gbp ,  good bog paper .   

Down the pan , put to good use ..

All these promises, which we be imposable to keep, just to impress the gullible faithful. Will it never end ?

https://davidallengreen.com/2019/11/the-government-ruling-out-extending-the-transition-period/

....But moving on from law and legalism, there is no sensible way the UK government would be able to put in place a full trade agreement in eleven months.

(It has, for example, taken a year for there to be the changes to the Ireland protocol in the current draft.)

There are dozens of areas of trade and policy which will need to be negotiated – to grasp just some of the practical issues which need to be addressed just look at Part Three of the withdrawal agreement.

There’s not one politician can be trusted either in the UK or anywhere else for that matter. Personal financial gain is too great now for them, some are millionaires with too much to lose by upholding democracy and delivering what the people need or vote for.

I am a UK citizen who voted to remain in the EU but accepted the democratic vote of the majority even though living in Thailand it has cost me dearly with the exchange rates.

Now I would vote to leave after seeing the corruption within the UK and the EU and the contempt shown by Eurocrats for our country.

Boris Johnson might not be the greatest choice but he is the only(realistic) one willing to deliver the democratic will of the majority IMHO.

3 hours ago, tebee said:

All these promises, which we be imposable to keep, just to impress the gullible faithful. Will it never end ?

Johnson is hoping for a clear majority. This will enable him to keep that promise and enact plan B. Don't secure a trade agreement before the end of 2020, don't extend negotiations and leave on WTO rules. In practice, a no deal Brexit. Economy crashes and his backers make a killing. Kerching!

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

Johnson is hoping for a clear majority. This will enable him to keep that promise and enact plan B. Don't secure a trade agreement before the end of 2020, don't extend negotiations and leave on WTO rules. In practice, a no deal Brexit. Economy crashes and his backers make a killing. Kerching!

I suggest that scenario would never occur, because a  no deal brexit has already been tried, tested and rejected by parliament. Do you really consider that a 'new' parliament would act differently, because I don't?

19 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I suggest that scenario would never occur, because a  no deal brexit has already been tried, tested and rejected by parliament. Do you really consider that a 'new' parliament would act differently, because I don't?

Johnson's aim was always for a no deal Brexit. He didn't achieve that because he didn't have a clear majority in Parliament. He has now expunged his detractors from the Tory party and aims to vanquish the opposition at the ballot box. If he achieves this I fully expect a virtual no deal Brexit to sail through parliament.

Plus, it doesn't need to pass through parliament. If Johnson's deal passes, which is highly likely, he only has to run the clock down on trade negotiations and no deal Brexit comes to pass. The only thing that could prevent it is a new Benn bill, which wouldn't pass if the Conservatives have a clear majority and no opponents from within the party.

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Johnson's aim was always for a no deal Brexit. He didn't achieve that because he didn't have a clear majority in Parliament. He has now expunged his detractors from the Tory party and aims to vanquish the opposition at the ballot box. If he achieves this I fully expect a virtual no deal Brexit to sail through parliament.

Plus, it doesn't need to pass through parliament. If Johnson's deal passes, which is highly likely, he only has to run the clock down on trade negotiations and no deal Brexit comes to pass. The only thing that could prevent it is a new Benn bill, which wouldn't pass if the Conservatives have a clear majority and no opponents from within the party.

I heed what you say, but I'm not convinced, on a number of levels. Primarily, johnson is not going to risk being outed as PM. That's a paramount motivation. And backed-up by his failure to get his 'deal' passed through parliament, but not resigning or throwing his toys out of his pram.

If he gets a workable majority, and that's not a certainty if the LDs join up with Labour and the SNPs/DUPs to frustrate his progress, he'll not make much headway.

Come December 2020, if his deal passes, he'll magic up yet another 'deal', but whether that would garner enough support is  speculative. Whatever, it's a sad, sorry state the UK has found itself in... 

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Why would Johnson bother with the withdrawal agreement if he wants no deal and gets a majority? Just leave at the end of January.

I'm still hoping his "deal" is around long enough to get a majority and then its trashed. Tough to win an election on No Deal manifesto. Once elected however he can take us out in January on No Deal and we save 40 Billion and get a clean break. No need for his pathetic "deal" to see the light of day again.

That's what I'd do anyway but maybe its wishful thinking on my part.

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Why would Johnson bother with the withdrawal agreement if he wants no deal and gets a majority? Just leave at the end of January.

I'm still hoping his "deal" is around long enough to get a majority and then its trashed. Tough to win an election on No Deal manifesto. Once elected however he can take us out in January on No Deal and we save 40 Billion and get a clean break. No need for his pathetic "deal" to see the light of day again.

How would you convince any trading partners that any future agreements would be honoured

23 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I heed what you say, but I'm not convinced, on a number of levels. Primarily, johnson is not going to risk being outed as PM. That's a paramount motivation. And backed-up by his failure to get his 'deal' passed through parliament, but not resigning or throwing his toys out of his pram.

If he gets a workable majority, and that's not a certainty if the LDs join up with Labour and the SNPs/DUPs to frustrate his progress, he'll not make much headway.

Come December 2020, if his deal passes, he'll magic up yet another 'deal', but whether that would garner enough support is  speculative. Whatever, it's a sad, sorry state the UK has found itself in... 

If he has a clear and workable majority, why would he be ousted as PM? He hadn't finished the job, that's why he didn't throw his toys out of his pram and a no deal Brexit was still on the cards.

If he gains more than 50% of the seats (minimum 326), the whole lot of them can join together and wud still be able to do diddly squat to halt his progress.

December 2020, we leave on WTO rules.

28 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

A clear possibility if he can get the rest of the party to go with the idea. Somehow I doubt that as the majority of Conservative MPs don't stand to benefit financially from crashing the economy.

BTW. Even with a no deal Brexit, the 38bn is still payable.

33 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

If you are looking to achieve a clean break then i would havs thought a Labour government under Corbyn the best option.

Johnson can not abandon his WA . Mainly due to the fact he called a GE to be able to pass it through Parliament. Any attempt by Johnson to abandon this deal would result in a massive surge within Parliament to revoke in fear of a France veto of a request to extend.

Johnson talk of no extenstion of transition is merely political expediency to kick the can down the road.

Johnson hoping that events dictate extension inevitable.

With a Corbyn government and a request for extension will result in the French declaring that the UK on this issue can not govern itself and the EU have to decide to refuse the extension to allow both the UK and EU to move forward.

35 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

How would you convince any trading partners that any future agreements would be honoured

We haven't broken any agreements. The withdrawal agreement has not been ratified by parliament yet. It's a proposal at this stage.

14 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

A clear possibility if he can get the rest of the party to go with the idea. Somehow I doubt that as the majority of Conservative MPs don't stand to benefit financially from crashing the economy.

BTW. Even with a no deal Brexit, the 38bn is still payable.

Depends on the scale of the majority.

No we don't owe 38 Billion. That claim has been debunked many times. We only owe it if we agree to the withdrawal agreement. 

14 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

If you are looking to achieve a clean break then i would havs thought a Labour government under Corbyn the best option.

Johnson can not abandon his WA . Mainly due to the fact he called a GE to be able to pass it through Parliament. Any attempt by Johnson to abandon this deal would result in a massive surge within Parliament to revoke in fear of a France veto of a request to extend.

Johnson talk of no extenstion of transition is merely political expediency to kick the can down the road.

Johnson hoping that events dictate extension inevitable.

With a Corbyn government and a request for extension will result in the French declaring that the UK on this issue can not govern itself and the EU have to decide to refuse the extension to allow both the UK and EU to move forward.

Corbyn who is a eurosceptic probably wants a clean break but Starmer et al have him by the balls. Their policy is incoherent. The shadow cabinet is an embarrassment. McDonnell and Abbott and Thornberry ? What a sheeitshow.

If Johnson gets a massive majority then Parliament will follow him. Simple as that.

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Depends on the scale of the majority.

No we don't owe 38 Billion. That claim has been debunked many times. We only owe it if we agree to the withdrawal agreement. 

It has never been debunked. It has been reiterated many times. If push comes to shove (and it won't) it would be tested in the courts. The UK would have no chance of winning that one.

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Corbyn who is a eurosceptic probably wants a clean break but Starmer et al have him by the balls. Their policy is incoherent. The shadow cabinet is an embarrassment. McDonnell and Abbott and Thornberry ? What a sheeitshow.

If Johnson gets a massive majority then Parliament will follow him. Simple as that.

A majority of one is enough. 326 seats.

Archived