US giants keen on Thai investment, says Somkid

snoop1130

On 11/16/2019 at 3:19 PM, simtemple said:

And if you don't give them what they want they will arrange for the CIA to stage a Military coup, then steal everything.

Bolivia refused to hand over Lithium resources. Result Coup.

The five US soldiers killed near the Somalian boarder two years ago were assisting McDonald's fishing contractors to steal Somalian fish resources. 

That's what us Yanks do best! Where ya live dude, got any resources there? ????

18 hours ago, Tayaout said:

When I'm talking about coming at the expense of Thailand, I'm talking about their business model. They won't pay tax or at least the minimum they can get away with, they will pay their worker the minimum possible and they are able to lose money for a prolonged period of time to kill competitors. They are awesome for consumer but not so much for the economy. 

It’s been happening for a very long time-I see no end in sight 

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Considering Lazada are owned by Alibaba i find that extremely unlikely....

If Amazon get the same level of service and fast shipping as in Europe and North America then Lazada would have to step up their game. Lazada website and app are poor and shipping time is generally unpredictable. I would change to Amazon tomorrow only for their superior search engine. 

On 11/16/2019 at 10:32 AM, mikebell said:

Why would US Giants wish to donate 51% of their company to Thailand?

US companies and US citizens can own 100%, special treaty for this. As a side note, it also demonstrates the ineffectiveness of EU trade negotiators (unable or unwilling to negotiate a similar deal).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Amity_and_Economic_Relations_(Thailand–United_States)

On 11/17/2019 at 6:18 PM, DLock said:

They are just subsidiaries here, selling "product" into the domestic market.

The article talks about investing the EEC, presumably a development office, logistics office or warehousing and shipping, likely for the SEA region...the article is so vague, and probably more wishful target list than anything else...every country in the world would bend over backwards to get these 2 companies.

It makes no sense for Microsoft, but some sense fro Amazon.

Amazon doesn't sell into the local market, but you can order from Amazon US for delivery here,  Microsoft has had hundreds of employees in Thailand for decades.  Amazon, Google and Facebook also have large contingents.  Also Line from Japan, Huawei, Tencent, Alibaba and numerous others.  "just subsidiaries"?  They are US-based companies right?  In all of the other 190 countries that they operate in they have local subsidiaries which all work together as a single organization.  Amazon UK and Amazon France are "just subsidiaries" too.

The article is not specific on what expansion Somkid is referring to but thank you for filling in the gaps with your random guesses even though they were all completely wrong.

On 11/17/2019 at 6:40 PM, kevin612 said:

Amazon will take over lazada in Thailand.

What is this random opinion based on?  How will Lazada (i.e. Alibaba) be forced out of their utterly dominant market position?  If its so easy why haven't other competitors like Shopee succeeded?

15 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Considering Lazada are owned by Alibaba i find that extremely unlikely....

I think he meant to say "will overtake" as in they will out-compete Lazada in Thailand.  He spent as much time on forming that sentence as he did on his market research.

Archived