Thai Citizenship for those married to a Thai

27 minutes ago, Trevor Collins said:

I'm a UK citizen married to a Thai lady who has obtained UK citizenship through naturalization. She didn't have to give up her Thai citizenship.

Can I become a Thai citizen through marriage?

You can but it's not as simple....

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Most countries nowadays allow dual citizenship.

My son who lives in the US holds both a Thai and US passport.

The question why any farang would want to jump through flaming hoops to actually get Thai citizenship, well baffles me 

Not all foreigners coming from a first world country. There are also other places and for them to become a Thai would be an improvement passport-wise. Then there are the other group who lived here longtime already and want a bit of security, then as Thai you  not have to think of any change in immigration law in the future.

About dual citizenship, I was thinking when you ask for a Thai passport you have to sign, that you would give up your home citizenship, but this then will not be enforced.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Why do people keep saying this when it is not true!

It's true for some country: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_citizenship#Complex_laws_on_dual_citizenship

For example Germany doesn't allow it except in my case I can keep my existing dual citizenship by birth and also get German citizenship. 

Edited by Tayaout

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

The question why any farang would want to jump through flaming hoops to actually get Thai citizenship, well baffles me 

I'm AMAZED you can't see why someone wouldn't want to after all the moaning and complaining we see on this forum about having to meet all the requirements to stay in THailand. In short if you have citizenship it's easier as there no need to continue to report and go through all the hoops.

Now I'm not for one minute giving up my citizenship nor would I. However, if it was easier to get Thai Citizenship then I would go down that route as well as retaining my own. Bottom line life becomes simpler and for those who struggle to meet the financial requirements they wouldn't need to worry any more.

Unfortunately as I mentioned it seems much easier for foreign women to obtain than men.

Take it that answers your question as to why. 

Edited by stament
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stament said:

Incorrect you don't need to give up citizenship. My wife and kids have dual citizenship and passports. 

Correct, although it does depend on the country as some countries don't allow dual citizenship.

• Thanks 1

If you are Thai and want to apply by example for the German citizenship you don't have to give up your Thai citizenship. If I as a German want to apply for the Thai citizenship, I have to give up my German citizenship. So far I know. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Same for my daughter, so I get that.

The point of the OP is that it's easier for foreign women married to Thai men. No flaming hoops.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tayaout said:

It's true for some country: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_citizenship#Complex_laws_on_dual_citizenship

For example Germany doesn't allow it except in my case I can keep my existing dual citizenship by birth and also get German citizenship. 

My daughter is born in Thailand and has dual nationality.She got German nationality automatic because I'm German

2 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

If you are Thai and want to apply by example for the German citizenship you don't have to give up your Thai citizenship. If I as a German want to apply for the Thai citizenship, I have to give up my German citizenship. So far I know. 

That's not correct.

Before you can become a naturalized German citizen you have to renounce your other citizenship.

But if you requested to renounce your citizenship and the other country doesn't do as you requested (which you have to proof) within 2 years, you will still be granted German citizenship even if you still have your old citizenship.

There is also a process to keep German citizenship if you apply for another citizenship, but it requires that you proof ties with Germany. I suspect if you have German children this might work, without children probably not.

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That's not correct.

Before you can become a naturalized German citizen you have to renounce your other citizenship.

Germany allow keeping citizenship gained by birth. I have dual citizenship by birth and a German immigration lawyer confirmed this. Its also in the link I posted earlier. 

Just now, Tayaout said:

Germany allow keeping citizenship gained by birth. I have dual citizenship by birth and a German immigration lawyer confirmed this. Its also in the link I posted earlier. 

This is why i explicitly said "become a naturalized German"